5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change stuff

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This seems like an overcomplication of a simple process to me. None of these responses are "wrong". Your engine is going to be fine with 6.5q or 7q - that's less than a 10% difference. I'm sure we have all followed our own practices with our vehicles over the years, but I've owned about 10 vehicles and followed the manual's capacity for everyone of them. Never have had any issues.
Very true.... overcomplicated indeed, but it's funny how different service advisors will say different things based on the climate/region you drive in.

Mister Garrett

Reaction score
Alright...here's a new one for you guys. A tech told me that when doing an oil change on Ram 1500 Hemi...the capacity listed in manual (7 quarts) is for a newly assembled truck thats bone dry. So I did an oil change today and put 6.5 quarts of Pennzoil platinum in. So far that amount reads right between min and full marks on dipstick. Thoughts? Should I add the last 1/2 quart or leave it as is? Explain your answers :)
How about you fill it up with oil until it reaches the mark on the dipstick that indicates it is at full capacity? I mean why are we making this harder than it is??

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alright...here's a new one for you guys. A tech told me that when doing an oil change on Ram 1500 Hemi...the capacity listed in manual (7 quarts) is for a newly assembled truck thats bone dry. So I did an oil change today and put 6.5 quarts of Pennzoil platinum in. So far that amount reads right between min and full marks on dipstick. Thoughts? Should I add the last 1/2 quart or leave it as is? Explain your answers :)
I put in 7 and it was just below the second hole for fully filled on the dip stick. This includes pre-filling the filter about 8 to 10 ounces.

Users who are viewing this thread