5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

oil change question

JBV

Reaction score
the long wait continues, so i'm asking as someone currently without a Ram. i've seen some threads about oil change intervals and some say 'when the truck tells me'.

so what does that look like? is there a sensor that analyses the oil quality and turns on a light or something? when i google 'Ram oil change interval' it gives definite intervals, nothing mentioned about oil change sensors, or the truck decides, etc.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You have an oil life monitor, which can be accessed on you gauge screen, same menu as all the other individual gauges, tire press, etc.

It is based (as with most modern vehicles that have monitors) by several factors. Including miles accrued, oil temp, coolant, temp, idle time, etc. It essentially uses an algorithm of those various factors to determine how quickly you should change our oil.

If you check the manual (which you can download before you get your truck), it states it can come as early as 3,500 miles or as late as 10,000 miles. However, if you want to keep your 5 yr/60k powertrain warranty, you should never wait beyond a year to do an oil change regardless of what he monitor says. This mostly applies to low mileage drivers like myself, for example my oil monitor is currently at 50%, which was 4,200 miles at one year. I changed the oil.

So essentially follow your monitor or 12 months, whichever comes first. However personally, if I hit 5,000 miles before my monitor, I would change it.

Users who are viewing this thread