5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change prices

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just to update this since I was posting about cheap oil filters on this earler post and this other post, I found some amazon filters that were extremely cheap. I'm going to try one of these out next month when I do my next oil change.

google search for oil filter on amazon

You can pretty much just click on one, scroll to recommended near the bottom of the page, and click on ones in stock. The average price is $20.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to update this since I was posting about cheap oil filters on this earler post and this other post, I found some amazon filters that were extremely cheap. I'm going to try one of these out next month when I do my next oil change.

google search for oil filter on amazon

You can pretty much just click on one, scroll to recommended near the bottom of the page, and click on ones in stock. The average price is $20.
It will be interesting to learn how it works with the Chinese aftermarket filters given the reviews for this particular Amazon filter - realizing one never knows if the reviews are true/accurate or if posted by a competitor. Who knows, these reviews could be posted by the boys and girls at MOPAR trying to protect their ridiculously prices oil filter market share! ;)

My only advice is when you do it, ensure you don't have your second vehicle blocked in with your Ram (i.e., Ram in driveway on ramps and wife's car in garage blocked in by your Ram) as you may need it or an UBER ride to make a run to your dealer to pick up one of the gold plated MOPAR oil filters if the Amazon filter fails or gives you a low oil pressure light.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had to change my Fuel Filter on my 2021 EcoDiesel this time too. Dealer wanted $75, LPS wanted $85.
I got it from Diesel Filters Online for $43. (68436631AA)

Malodave

TSL

Reaction score
The answer is they will charge as much as they can if you’ll pay for it. Look for coupons on their website or FCA website. You’ll still overpay but you can save a little.

It appears they charged you $14.35 a quart for 8 quarts but the Ecodiesel takes 8.5 so you’re most likely 1/2 a quart low. And you can buy your own spec oil for 1/3 to 1/2 the price.

Then, they charged you $97.95 for a. Oil filter that I can get all day long from Amazon or Walmart (genuine Mopar) for $50.

Finally, they nailed you $40 for labor and $7 for shop supplies.

I’ve done my own from day one and saved both money and aggravation as I know it gets done correctly without a mess dripping afterwards. The oil change in an Ecodiesel is light years easier than a Hemi thus I wouldn’t pay any dealer $40 for time to do it plus the shagging they do with the oil/filter pricing.

And don’t get me started on the fuel filter replacement as that is where the dealer puts his kid through college! 😉 That is the easiest job in the world and can save you big bucks if you do it yourself.
What kind of records do you keep, if any, for warranty purposes ? Just receipts for your oil / filter purchases ? I've ordered a '22 Rebel with EcoDiesel and figure I should learn how to do this myself, as long as i'm not compromising warranty. I've done my own oil changes previously ( on my '07 Subaru Outback ), but I consider myself 'clumsy' - I usually finish up with oil running down my arm and sleeve and spilling some somewhere along the way ! Generally I only saved maybe $20 to $30 or so and it took me far too long so I stopped doing it myself.
Nevertheless, if the dealer is gone to charge me $300+ for the diesel oil change I think that's motivation to 'upskill' myself to do this myself !

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of records do you keep, if any, for warranty purposes ? Just receipts for your oil / filter purchases ? I've ordered a '22 Rebel with EcoDiesel and figure I should learn how to do this myself, as long as i'm not compromising warranty. I've done my own oil changes previously ( on my '07 Subaru Outback ), but I consider myself 'clumsy' - I usually finish up with oil running down my arm and sleeve and spilling some somewhere along the way ! Generally I only saved maybe $20 to $30 or so and it took me far too long so I stopped doing it myself.
Nevertheless, if the dealer is gone to charge me $300+ for the diesel oil change I think that's motivation to 'upskill' myself to do this myself !
This may be what you want the best chance of no warranty denial: Ideally, you’d save your oil filter in a ziplock with date and mileage (leaving a little oil in it in case you need it analyzed later). You should also save every fuel receipt, making sure to scan them or take pics and save in the cloud. You could take it one step further and save DEF receipts, but I think that won’t matter.

It seems like a lot, but it’s really not. They will try to get out of a warranty claim no matter what fuel the engine burns. Don’t forget to add a fuel lubricity additive like hotshots EDT. The added lubricity is worth it to many of us, even with the small potential for a warranty denial.

Keep in mind that the dealer and even Ram may fight you even with great paperwork, so you may need to get a lawyer when the time comes.

Reactions: TSL

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use a method which paid off on my wife’s Jeep Wrangler that had the 3.6L develop serious issues. It was a 2014 Wrangler with the 3.6L and I did all the oil changes. I had the same on one of our Cummins and one of our Hemi’s (minor issues that the dealer wanted to document routine maintenance was being followed per the manual).

To document the maintenance, I tear the top or side of the oil filter carton off that indicates the brand/part number, and write on the back of it the date, mileage and oil brand/type/qty utilized. This also indicates on the front of it the filter utilized which I always utilize MOPAR. I also update the records on The MOPAR.COM website. I then staple the original receipts for the oil and filter to it. (For our diesels, I do the same with the fuel filter when changing it). I then put the “maintenance package documentation” in an old bankers bag in the glove box. I have a bankers bag in every one of our vehicles as I’ve been suing this practice since the late 1970’s. I have never had a claim denied by the dealer/manufacturer.

When the wife Wrangler ate it, the service manager called asking me to bring in the receipts. I told him to pull out the green bankers bag in the glove box. He called me back to inform me it was the best evidence chain he’s ever seen for verifiable maintenance. He said they question when it takes hours or days to produce the documents and get a gut feeling when they are genuine as the owners tell them to find them in the glove box without having to step a foot into the dealership. Needless to say, the repairs were covered 100% under warranty.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For records all you need is the receipts from your purchase. A mileage and date on receipt helps too. Any dealer will acknowledge that maintenance record. Use only OEM oil filter on the ecodiesel.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Not diesel but I just changed the oil in mine for about $45 yesterday. About 20 minutes worth of work on my back. Easy peasy 20220312_165018.jpg

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For records all you need is the receipts from your purchase. A mileage and date on receipt helps too. Any dealer will acknowledge that maintenance record. Use only OEM oil filter on the ecodiesel.
That is the bare minimum I’d do on any vehicle.

With my Ecodiesel, I’ve been following my standard procedure mentioned above PLUS getting the receipts notarized, obtaining three non-familial witnesses to execute and get notarized a form attesting to the fact they watched me do each maintenance, a hostage shot of my truck with hood open with the day’s newspaper in frame and a picture from Google earth of my feet sticking out from under my truck! 😉

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TSL

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is the bare minimum I’d do on any vehicle.

With my Ecodiesel, I’ve been following my standard procedure mentioned above PLUS getting the receipts notarized, obtaining three non-familial witnesses to execute and get notarized a form attesting to the fact they watched me do each maintenance, a hostage shot of my truck with hood open with the day’s newspaper in frame and a picture from Google earth of my feet stinking out from under my truck! 😉
Feet stinking out, huh? o_O

n8zcc

Reaction score
Exactly what I do. I do all my scheduled maintenance now that the dealer screwed up my last two oil changes.

I keep a log that records the date, mileage, oil life, fuel filter life, and also records the purchase date of any materials used (filters, oil) and a hard copy of the receipt in the vehicles folder.

I don't expect any trouble but if that happens, I have a paper trail. Also, it is assumed that dealers are quick to deny a warranty claim and you read a lot about it. I'm wondering if that is really the case or some storytelling going on.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Exactly what I do. I do all my scheduled maintenance now that the dealer screwed up my last two oil changes.

I keep a log that records the date, mileage, oil life, fuel filter life, and also records the purchase date of any materials used (filters, oil) and a hard copy of the receipt in the vehicles folder.

I don't expect any trouble but if that happens, I have a paper trail. Also, it is assumed that dealers are quick to deny a warranty claim and you read a lot about it. I'm wondering if that is really the case or some storytelling going on.
I'm not sure how true it is that a dealer wants to decline warranty repairs. It's easy money for the dealer. If the car/engine appear neglected then they have the responsibility to question the service history. I think you see more questioning with extended warranty companies

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure how true it is that a dealer wants to decline warranty repairs. It's easy money for the dealer. If the car/engine appear neglected then they have the responsibility to question the service history. I think you see more questioning with extended warranty companies
Not the case with my Ecodiesel. I took it in with 400 miles on the odometer and a leaking transfer case seal. Service Manager had the nerve to ask me if I did any maintenance on it…I damned near died with a stupid question like that with 400 miles on the odometer. He said they’ve never seen one leak - BS! - and if I had done any work on it would need to see receipts.

Keeping meticulous and well documented maintenance records protects one from idiots at the dealership. And none of the manufacturers have a monopoly on idiots at the dealerships.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not the case with my Ecodiesel. I took it in with 400 miles on the odometer and a leaking transfer case seal. Service Manager had the nerve to ask me if I did any maintenance on it…I damned near died with a stupid question like that with 400 miles on the odometer. He said they’ve never seen one leak - BS! - and if I had done any work on it would need to see receipts.

Keeping meticulous and well documented maintenance records protects one from idiots at the dealership. And none of the manufacturers have a monopoly on idiots at the dealerships.
Very rare for the tcase seal to be leaking let alone at 400 miles, he's not wrong. Asking if you have done anything is wrong, why would a service manager suspect something had been done? It's an easy $100-150 in his department's pocket. I'm not really sure why you have to insult every dealer employee that way. Be in their shoes for 1 day. For most dealership employees it would be difficult to keep up on every tsb, service trend and specs on every vehicle they have come in.

Users who are viewing this thread