5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change prices

Beatle9999

Reaction score
So the molar oil is the pennzoil platinum euro??
What about Shell Rotella® T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil??

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the molar oil is the pennzoil platinum euro??
What about Shell Rotella® T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil??
The Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 oil does not meet Stellantis MS-12991 according to the manual, however that is the oil that my dealership has been using for the HD 6.7L I6 Cummins and the VM Motori V6 3L Ecodiesel, that is the oil that’s been going in my Rebel Ecodiesel. My truck will be getting it’s 3rd oil change soon at 30,000 miles. (45,000km)

The Pennzoil is much cheaper when on sale compared to the Shell Rotella T6

I buy the Shell oil by the 5 gallon pail when on sale and buy the OEM Mopar oil filters and fuel filters online. I bring the oil and oil filter to the Ram dealer and they charge me $32 labour.

Some of the previous 2nd generation Ecodiesel had main crank bearing failures, the Shell Rotella T6 5w30 was used, the fix to avoid the bearing failures was to switch to a higher viscosity oil, Shell Rotella T6 5W-40.

Some people have been posting there oil analysis with the Pennzoil that meets the Stelantis specs, I am not impressed with the results, I have not seen anybody post results for the Shell Rotella T6 oil so I have nothing to compare.

Time and miles will be the proof if my engine will last, I plan on keeping my truck for a long time, I had my first Dodge Ram for 15 years and then my second Ram for 9 years.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 oil does not meet Stellantis MS-12991 according to the manual, however that is the oil that my dealership has been using for the HD 6.7L I6 Cummins and the VM Motori V6 3L Ecodiesel, that is the oil that’s been going in my Rebel Ecodiesel. My truck will be getting it’s 3rd oil change soon at 30,000 miles. (45,000km)

The Pennzoil is much cheaper when on sale compared to the Shell Rotella T6

I buy the Shell oil by the 5 gallon pail when on sale and buy the OEM Mopar oil filters and fuel filters online. I bring the oil and oil filter to the Ram dealer and they charge me $32 labour.

Some of the previous 2nd generation Ecodiesel had main crank bearing failures, the Shell Rotella T6 5w30 was used, the fix to avoid the bearing failures was to switch to a higher viscosity oil, Shell Rotella T6 5W-40.

Some people have been posting there oil analysis with the Pennzoil that meets the Stelantis specs, I am not impressed with the results, I have not seen anybody post results for the Shell Rotella T6 oil so I have nothing to compare.

Time and miles will be the proof if my engine will last, I plan on keeping my truck for a long time, I had my first Dodge Ram for 15 years and then my second Ram for 9 years.
IMHO, if the dealer utilizes Rotella for the 2020-2022 Ecodiesel and the engine fails then they are liable for repair/replacement. However, if we (the owners) utilize it and the engine fails, then you can bet FCA will claim we were not utilizing the spec oil.

This is especially critical if one has the Mopar Extended Warranty thus I personally can't recommend anyone utilize a non-spec oil like Rotella T-6 as it does not meet MS-12991 spec. Perhaps it will become an approved oil that meets the specification or they change the requirements. But, until FCA/Stellantis does this, I'll sleep better at night using the specified MS012991 oil and complying with the terms of the Mopar extended warranty.

P.S. I've utilized Rotella for since the 1990's in all of my equipment and found it and the resulting lab analysis to be a superior but in this case my opinion means nothing with FCA/Stellantis is calling the shots on my warranty.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone had a newer ecodiesel fail? Stellantis has some background checks on them all before they ok an engine for replacement. Oil filter, oil, fuel filters all that documentation needs to be in order.

tom318

Reaction score
I do my own oil and then also send it out for analysis from Blackstone just so i have a nice record handy. The analysis is $40. For me its not only about saving some money but I don't trust the dealers doing the changes. They probably do 100+ Hemi's before they come across an ED. Chances of them screwing up is likely IMO.

If an engine fails under warranty it will obviously be easier to get it repaired if everything was done at the dealer. However, with proper documentation you have a fair case as well. Now if you have nothing, no receipts or anything then your screwed. I keep receipts, cutout from the filter box and then Blackstone Report.

Not sure where you guys are getting $10 filters though......Ive been paying $50 online for Mopar filters.
I've been using Pennzoil 5w40 from amazon but my next change I'm going to QuakerState 5w40 since I loaded up on it from Walmart (I think I have ~20+gal) it was $10 a jug at the time.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do my own oil and then also send it out for analysis from Blackstone just so i have a nice record handy. The analysis is $40. For me its not only about saving some money but I don't trust the dealers doing the changes. They probably do 100+ Hemi's before they come across an ED. Chances of them screwing up is likely IMO.

If an engine fails under warranty it will obviously be easier to get it repaired if everything was done at the dealer. However, with proper documentation you have a fair case as well. Now if you have nothing, no receipts or anything then your screwed. I keep receipts, cutout from the filter box and then Blackstone Report.

Not sure where you guys are getting $10 filters though......Ive been paying $50 online for Mopar filters.
I've been using Pennzoil 5w40 from amazon but my next change I'm going to QuakerState 5w40 since I loaded up on it from Walmart (I think I have ~20+gal) it was $10 a jug at the time.
The cheap filter elements can be found on amazon, and a few here also like using
Diesel Filters Online. Note, these are aftermarket filters with no plastic housing for under $10.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The cheap filter elements can be found on amazon, and a few here also like using
Diesel Filters Online. Note, these are aftermarket filters with no plastic housing for under $10.
Dumb question but can you separate the housing from filter? I’ve tried and can’t do it like you could back when these same filters were utilized for the 3.6L. Perhaps I didn’t have enough Wheaties that morning before trying to separate the element from the housing.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dumb question but can you separate the housing from filter? I’ve tried and can’t do it like you could back when these same filters were utilized for the 3.6L. Perhaps I didn’t have enough Wheaties that morning before trying to separate the element from the housing.

EDIT: After talking to a filter supplier and backing that up by talking to our best RAM wholesale parts guy, the elements I show below don’t work. Thanks to @tom318 for pointing that out and junp starting my research into it.

I’m going to have to say yes. While I haven’t tried it yet, if Mopar has it available without the housing, then it should be able to be separated. Below is a pic without the housing. When I do my own oil change in a couple months, I will just buy an element without the housing.

38ECF2D4-55A5-40F7-A460-9161B31E805F.png

Edit: here’s one I was talking about for under $10. To average $10 you would need to buy a few to offset shipping. They are on Amazon though with prime shipping for $9.
1D2118A6-E701-4787-AEF7-5F4BFF44AB47.png

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m going to have to say yes. While I haven’t tried it yet, if Mopar has it available without the housing, then it should be able to be separated. Below is a pic without the housing. When I do my own oil change in a couple months, I will just buy an element without the housing.

View attachment 117741
I hope it works out as I’ve felt it was a horrendous waste of a good plastic housing.

Let us know how it works out…will let the old Lady know we need to double up on the Wheaties next time she is grocery shopping. 😉

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think those are for the 3rd Gen ED unfortunately. Look like for the 2nd gen. I've tried separating them and I couldn't do it.
I’ll contact them and find out.

Edit: just spoke on the phone and verified with them that those are the 2nd gen filters, so it looks like we’re stuck with this option, at least for now:
88721379-9C82-4BF4-BD5A-6BB89E9082A5.jpeg

I’m glad you mentioned that, because I was getting ready to order six of those filters without the housing.

Last edited:

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMHO, if the dealer utilizes Rotella for the 2020-2022 Ecodiesel and the engine fails then they are liable for repair/replacement. However, if we (the owners) utilize it and the engine fails, then you can bet FCA will claim we were not utilizing the spec oil.

This is especially critical if one has the Mopar Extended Warranty thus I personally can't recommend anyone utilize a non-spec oil like Rotella T-6 as it does not meet MS-12991 spec. Perhaps it will become an approved oil that meets the specification or they change the requirements. But, until FCA/Stellantis does this, I'll sleep better at night using the specified MS012991 oil and complying with the terms of the Mopar extended warranty.

P.S. I've utilized Rotella for since the 1990's in all of my equipment and found it and the resulting lab analysis to be a superior but in this case my opinion means nothing with FCA/Stellantis is calling the shots on my warranty.
You’re spot on, the dealer would take the blame for the “wrong oil” that they have been using and suggested for me to use. I’ve purchased several vehicles from my local dealer in the past, but they don’t have enough inventory and they can’t compete with high volume sellers near Toronto, 8 hour drive south for me.
The local dealership tends to be more forgiving if you bring your vehicles for basic services like oil changes, they have in the past noticed something defective and repaired under warranty.

Sphinx_3

Reaction score
Just had oil changed yesterday at the dealer. $153 out of the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just had oil changed yesterday at the dealer. $153 out of the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is an ecodiesel thread.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I just wanted to add something to you comment about the spec oil required for our trucks, I have noticed on the jugs of Pennzoil, Quaker State and others, that they have recently, within a few years added “for gasoline and Diesel engines” and are API SN certified, before the SN it was SM, SL, SG and so on, so if I still had my old 1996 Ram that required API SJ oil, that oil would not be available, it has been replaced with the latest API SN certification, make sense right.

Now onto the Diesel engine oil, also API certified but for Diesel engines, the certification always start with the letter C, the older generation was CC, CD, CF… and so on, then they added a number after the letters, the latest is API CK-4 (Shell Rotella T6 5W40) the reasoning is because of the pollution control systems such as the EGR, DPF particulate filters… no more black smoke! That oil is designed for Diesel engines, to counteract against soot, dirt and other contaminants that newer Diesel engines have to handle because of the newer government pollution regulations.

The main reason for my added comment is, you grab a jug of Pennzoil Full Synthetic oil and the jug says “for gasoline and Diesel engines”
Now grab a jug of Diesel oil CK-4 it does not say “for gasoline and Diesel engines” it is specifically made for Diesel engines, why would you pay up to double the price for that oil to put it in a gasoline engine that has no particulate filter, no soot buildup, no diesel fuel dilution that accumulates in the oil…

I would not PUT diesel CK-4 oil in my gasoline engine, it is probably a better oil, I would be wasting money, I am however uncomfortable putting gasoline engine and or Diesel engine SN oil in my Diesel engine, specially after seeing the oil analysis samples when using Pennzoil, the metal numbers should be on par, not worst, I know the metal count is minimal but I really don’t like it when they say “the metal numbers are going down, don’t worry” “keep sending the oil samples” $$$

Time will tell, hopefully I will still have my truck with the same engine when the 6th generation Rams arrive. 🤞

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just wanted to add something to you comment about the spec oil required for our trucks, I have noticed on the jugs of Pennzoil, Quaker State and others, that they have recently, within a few years added “for gasoline and Diesel engines” and are API SN certified, before the SN it was SM, SL, SG and so on, so if I still had my old 1996 Ram that required API SJ oil, that oil would not be available, it has been replaced with the latest API SN certification, make sense right.

Now onto the Diesel engine oil, also API certified but for Diesel engines, the certification always start with the letter C, the older generation was CC, CD, CF… and so on, then they added a number after the letters, the latest is API CK-4 (Shell Rotella T6 5W40) the reasoning is because of the pollution control systems such as the EGR, DPF particulate filters… no more black smoke! That oil is designed for Diesel engines, to counteract against soot, dirt and other contaminants that newer Diesel engines have to handle because of the newer government pollution regulations.

The main reason for my added comment is, you grab a jug of Pennzoil Full Synthetic oil and the jug says “for gasoline and Diesel engines”
Now grab a jug of Diesel oil CK-4 it does not say “for gasoline and Diesel engines” it is specifically made for Diesel engines, why would you pay up to double the price for that oil to put it in a gasoline engine that has no particulate filter, no soot buildup, no diesel fuel dilution that accumulates in the oil…

I would not PUT diesel CK-4 oil in my gasoline engine, it is probably a better oil, I would be wasting money, I am however uncomfortable putting gasoline engine and or Diesel engine SN oil in my Diesel engine, specially after seeing the oil analysis samples when using Pennzoil, the metal numbers should be on par, not worst, I know the metal count is minimal but I really don’t like it when they say “the metal numbers are going down, don’t worry” “keep sending the oil samples” $$$

Time will tell, hopefully I will still have my truck with the same engine when the 6th generation Rams arrive. 🤞
I wonder also about ZDDP with an SN oil (Fram and Quaker State). Fram is just SN, Pennsoil is SP, and Quaker State is SN Plus. Out if those three, I chose Quaker State b/c the SN Plus class is designed for turbo engines.

The jury is out on why Mopar decided to use oil rated for gas in the first place, but the Mopar branded oil does not have ZDDP additives either. Somebody here was saying that it’s Pennzoil in a different box, but I’m not sure if I believe that without side-by-side testing.

The one thing consistent is the requirement for MS – 12991, which Mopar, Fram, and Quaker State all meet (Amsoil says the cert is pending). I agree that time will tell the effects of oil designed for gas engines on our diesel. This makes me want to go out and get a hot shots oil additive.

Another edit: I just got an oil change yesterday, so I’m going to go out and pick up hotshots fr3 today. I am choosing that over ZDDP additives because hotshots “guarantees” (used very loosely) that it won’t negatively affect the DPF system.

Last edited:

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder also about ZDDP with an SN oil (Fram and Quaker State). Fram is just SN, Pennsoil is SP, and Quaker State is SN Plus. Out if those three, I chose Quaker State b/c the SN Plus class is designed for turbo engines.

The jury is out on why Mopar decided to use oil rated for gas in the first place, but the Mopar branded oil does not have ZDDP additives either. Somebody here was saying that it’s Pennzoil in a different box, but I’m not sure if I believe that without side-by-side testing.

The one thing consistent is the requirement for MS – 12991, which Mopar, Fram, and Quaker State all meet (Amsoil says the cert is pending). I agree that time will tell the effects of oil designed for gas engines on our diesel. This makes me want to go out and get a hot shots oil additive.

Edit: I just got an oil change yesterday, so I’m going to go out and pick this up today:
View attachment 117834
This is the first time I hear about ZZDP, I remember, around forty years ago, the new oil additive at that time was called Slick 50, developed in 1978, it was a one time treatment and would last 50,000 miles, they showed a small single cylinder engine, similar to a Briggs & Stratton, a clear engine side plated was added to see the internal parts, they ran the engine with Slick 50, drained all the oil and ran the engine again, you could see the crankshaft and connecting rod moving, how long they ran it for was unknown, their reasoning was that all the parts were coated with the Teflon from the Slick 50. I’m not sure how true that was but it was interesting 🤔

I have never put engine oil supplements in any of my vehicles in my lifetime and never had engine problems. I had one Ram for 15 years, the other Ram for 9 years and a Caravan for 13 years. I had 14 cars/trucks/vans/suvs in my lifetime. I also had many motorcycles starting from a 50 cc Honda with folding handle bars in 1975, 70 cc Honda, 125 cc Kawasaki, 200cc XR Honda, 350 cc Honda XL, 750cc Honda Shadow and a 450cc Honda Foreman 4 wheeler, all with no oil additive, the only one with engine troubles was the 2 stroke Kawasaki.

The only thing I had to add was gas line antifreeze in the early years when my vehicle was carbureted and it would freeze up during

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is the first time I hear about ZZDP, I remember, around forty years ago, the new oil additive at that time was called Slick 50, developed in 1978, it was a one time treatment and would last 50,000 miles, they showed a small single cylinder engine, similar to a Briggs & Stratton, a clear engine side plated was added to see the internal parts, they ran the engine with Slick 50, drained all the oil and ran the engine again, you could see the crankshaft and connecting rod moving, how long they ran it for was unknown, their reasoning was that all the parts were coated with the Teflon from the Slick 50. I’m not sure how true that was but it was interesting 🤔

I have never put engine oil supplements in any of my vehicles in my lifetime and never had engine problems. I had one Ram for 15 years, the other Ram for 9 years and a Caravan for 13 years. I had 14 cars/trucks/vans/suvs in my lifetime. I also had many motorcycles starting from a 50 cc Honda with folding handle bars in 1975, 70 cc Honda, 125 cc Kawasaki, 200cc XR Honda, 350 cc Honda XL, 750cc Honda Shadow and a 450cc Honda Foreman 4 wheeler, all with no oil additive, the only one with engine troubles was the 2 stroke Kawasaki.

The only thing I had to add was gas line antifreeze in the early years when my vehicle was carbureted and it would freeze up during
ZDDP is pretty much what differentiates diesel oil from oil designed for gas engines, as it’s what was identified as shortening the life of catalytic converters. So you could have two oils from the same manufacturer that are identical with the exception of the ZDDP. Usually that’s paired with higher sulfated ash, but that’s also absent in the MS-12991 spec’d oil.

Really, it brings up the question of whether or not they found ZDDP additives being a problem with the exhaust system. That’s a big question that I don’t know the answer to.
Edit: After reading a peer-reviewed article on GDI soot loading and GPF systems, it was easy to see the coorelation to DPF. I then talked to a rep at hotshots ( just got off the phone with them) and they verified what I thought that high zinc will mess with the SCR system. Of course, they have skin in the game but I am trying to get my info from good sources.

Last edited:

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ZDDP is pretty much what differentiates diesel oil from oil designed for gas engines, as it’s what was identified as shortening the life of catalytic converters. So you could have two oils from the same manufacturer that are identical with the exception of the ZDDP. Usually that’s paired with higher sulfated ash, but that’s also absent in the MS-12991 spec’d oil.

Really, it brings up the question of whether or not they found ZDDP additives being a problem with the exhaust system. That’s a big question that I don’t know the answer to.
Edit: After reading a peer-reviewed article on GDI soot loading and GPF systems, it was easy to see the coorelation to DPF. I then talked to a rep at hotshots ( just got off the phone with them) and they verified what I thought that high zinc will mess with the SCR system. Of course, they have skin in the game but I am trying to get my info from good sources.
So the ZDDP would not be a good additive because it’s high in zinc.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So the ZDDP would not be a good additive because it’s high in zinc.
I’m not sure if you’re asking, but it depends on the quantity of zinc. Rotella has varying amounts of higher zinc content depending on the Rotella type, but the consistent thing is that C Classification oils have higher zinc and ash content than S classification oils.

I’m thinking that when you pair the higher zinc content of Rotella with the ash produced from incomplete combustion, that has a larger effect on the SCR system and could cause issues. That is not based in fact in any manner, just what I’m observing when I research. I don’t understand what makes the ecodiesel SCR less compliant than a Cummins 6.7 SCR system (for example).

on a different note, I put half a bottle of hot shots FR3 in my crank case about an hour ago. My engine is slightly quieter and my turbo is quieter at the same load, throttle positions, and boost levels. I was not expecting that at all, especially from 60% of the dose they called for. I don’t think it’s psychological, so I’m going to monitor that over a few oil changes. It’s 25°F here right now, so it’s not like I’m basing it off of a higher temperature versus the last time I drove it.

Users who are viewing this thread