5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Change: Its Wrong or its Right period. 5th Gen.

Rich6896

Reaction score
Gaskets for sure. Some are saying it is not seating correctly without lubing the threads. The torque wrench is breaking too soon

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Gaskets for sure. Some are saying it is not seating correctly without lubing the threads. The torque wrench is breaking too soon
Lubing the threads make no sense.
Sounds like people are crossthreading it and then trying to torque it down.

I've been changing my oil my whole life but this thread has completely confused me i'm checking out.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The cartridge filters on modern vehicles can be a pain. It doesn’t help that everything is made out of plastic nowadays either. I’ve always made sure to lube both the inner and out o-rings on my filter and tighten until the filter bottoms out and then stop.

Between my 2020 and 2022 I’ve done close to a dozen oil changes without any issues. I’ve used mopar oil filters aswell as $20 filters from Amazon and both seem to do the job.

My brother works at a lube shop and performs dozens of oil changes per day. The torque wrench only comes out for the drain plugs, standard filters are 3/4-1 turn after seating and cartridge filters get tighten until fully seated. Afterwards start the engine, wait for oil pressure and hold engine rpm’s at 1500-2000 for 20-30 seconds to leak check. Never any issues.

Paco

Reaction score
If its oiled, you should be able to turn it all the way, until it stops, by hand.

Even if you use a wrench, you should feel it seat on the block.(It wont turn any further, no matter how much you tq it).
Hope that makes sense.

I turned mine all the way til it would not turn anymore.
You can feel it seat itself, it wont go further.
The first time I did it, was wrong and I did not feel it click and seat itself.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Regardless of how YOU do it, someone else always has a better safer easier way. Ya'll quit getting your girl panties in a twist about what someone else thinks. f it works for them, give it some thought. If they start to argue, walk away. It just makes life easier and less stressful.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lubing the threads make no sense.
Sounds like people are crossthreading it and then trying to torque it down.

I've been changing my oil my whole life but this thread has completely confused me i'm checking out.
They're not. The whole cartridge is replaced every change and it's all plastic. There's quite a bit of resistance while threading it in. I've done 8 or so oil changes on my ecodiesel and they all went in with some resistance. Lubing the plastic threads helps.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Paco

Reaction score
The point of the article is to try and help people figure out why they have low oil light come on shortly after oil change.

As long as the motor is warm, and you oil the o ring, you should be able to screw it down by hand(With some force).
But even if you use a wrench as you turn it the filter will come to a full stop once its seated properly.(You 100% cannot force it to tighten anymore).
There should be no room to snug it up, as it is completely seated on the block.????

Am I the only one who has noticed this?????.
Or is every other Eco different than mine???

After 8 years of doing oil changes on my 2014 eco, I was surprised when I somehow got the low oil light.
I am 100% sure it was because of the oil filter.

If nothing else, people will realize its the oil filter thats the problem.
Good Luck.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Except you can 100% tighten it more than when it comes to a stop, all the way until you break it. Also, that’s not the only reason for the low oil light after changing the filter as there are other reasons relating to the oil filter that can cause issues. That’s the whole reason I posted the joke and every other post in this thread. Assumptions you’re making are only looking at a single aspect and concluding that it’s the right and only cause/resolution.

Paco

Reaction score
Yes oil the o ring, Not the threads, as it will make it harder to tighten.

Paco

Reaction score
Except you can 100% tighten it more than when it comes to a stop, all the way until you break it. Also, that’s not the only reason for the low oil light after changing the filter as there are other reasons relating to the oil filter that can cause issues. That’s the whole reason I posted the joke and every other post in this thread. Assumptions you’re making are only looking at a single aspect and concluding that it’s the right and only cause/resolution.
Yes you cant tighten it down more if you want to break it, but thats not the point of my posts.(Why would you even do that???)

I believe its the Only reason for the oil light to come on, if you know of another let me know.
When the oil light came on a day later, and it said 6 PSI, I checked the oil after a couple minutes it was good.
What does that leave as the problem????

So I unscrewed the filter, screwed it backwords to see if it word drop onto the treads.
Then i screwed it down by hand, until I felt it lock. There was no more tightening it down no matter how much force I put on it.
Hand tight or wrench hand tight all you need, if motor is warm.
Not everyone has strong forearms, so for them use a wrench but no reason to use a lot of force.
It fixed the problem.
It does not need to fix everyones problems, thats not the point of my post.
Its there to help people troubleshoot the problem.

it worked for me, maybe it will work for others???.
Thats the whole point of this forum, is trying to help other people???

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I tighten the oil filter as hard as I can hand, then go a smidge further with the filter wrench for good measure

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup. But I’ve done it that way on everything I’ve owned. Tractors, flat bed f-450’s, etc 😉
Even after lubing up the o-rings the cartridge filter on these ecodiesels you’ll need a socket and wrench to get anywhere, they are a tight fit and aren’t the same as the can style filters you’d see on other motors. It’s kind of a pain to need a wrench all of the way in or out.

I tighten the filter with a wrench until it stops and then give it a bit of a snug to make sure it’s not just the o-ring bound up. After installing the new filter and oil I start the truck up and hold the rpm’s around 2000-2500 for 15-20 seconds to leak check.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Even after lubing up the o-rings the cartridge filter on these ecodiesels you’ll need a socket and wrench to get anywhere, they are a tight fit and aren’t the same as the can style filters you’d see on other motors. It’s kind of a pain to need a wrench all of the way in or out.

I tighten the filter with a wrench until it stops and then give it a bit of a snug to make sure it’s not just the o-ring bound up. After installing the new filter and oil I start the truck up and hold the rpm’s around 2000-2500 for 15-20 seconds to leak check.
You’re free to do whatever you like, but increasing your rpm on first start up after an oil change is asking for a problem if something catastrophic happens and you don’t notice because you’re in the truck with your foot on the pedal. A suggestion is to start the truck, start counting to 10 while watching the oil pressure on the dash register pressure, then shut it off and check for leaks. If you notice no oil pressure after 3-5 seconds, shut it off immediately and check that you didn’t forget to put oil in the truck or put the drain plug in. I’m sure you’re wondering “why would anyone forget to put oil in the truck, I’d never forget that”. I saw it happen dozens of times when I worked as a tech, and did it myself once. It happens.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’re free to do whatever you like, but increasing your rpm on first start up after an oil change is asking for a problem if something catastrophic happens and you don’t notice because you’re in the truck with your foot on the pedal. A suggestion is to start the truck, start counting to 10 while watching the oil pressure on the dash register pressure, then shut it off and check for leaks. If you notice no oil pressure after 3-5 seconds, shut it off immediately and check that you didn’t forget to put oil in the truck or put the drain plug in. I’m sure you’re wondering “why would anyone forget to put oil in the truck, I’d never forget that”. I saw it happen dozens of times when I worked as a tech, and did it myself once. It happens.
Definitely happens to the best of us, I do wait for oil pressure to register before holding the rpms.

Users who are viewing this thread