5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Change: Its Wrong or its Right period. 5th Gen.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You’re free to do whatever you like, but increasing your rpm on first start up after an oil change is asking for a problem if something catastrophic happens and you don’t notice because you’re in the truck with your foot on the pedal. A suggestion is to start the truck, start counting to 10 while watching the oil pressure on the dash register pressure, then shut it off and check for leaks. If you notice no oil pressure after 3-5 seconds, shut it off immediately and check that you didn’t forget to put oil in the truck or put the drain plug in. I’m sure you’re wondering “why would anyone forget to put oil in the truck, I’d never forget that”. I saw it happen dozens of times when I worked as a tech, and did it myself once. It happens.
I agree with that.

I always give it 10-20 seconds at idle before turning it off and rechecking the level.
Almost always need to add more oil, even if just a little.

I never rev it after changing oil.
I do a 1-2 mile trip around the block going around 25-35 mph and no hard acceleration so everything can get a normal coat of fresh oil.

After that it sits and I drive it like I normally would.

Users who are viewing this thread