5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change interval

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not sure what the BCM has to do with oil changes. That's not where the oil life monitor gets it's information
Maybe that's not the right module, but whichever module, it takes in all the sensor info to determine oil change interval, instead of the old method that just used mileage.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe that's not the right module, but whichever module, it takes in all the sensor info to determine oil change interval, instead of the old method that just used mileage.
It accounts for idle time, engine RPM, and speeds, and engine load, but can't account for dirty or dusty conditions

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What is the unit of measurement that our trucks use to know when a oil change is needed? I know we've always used 3000 miles as a standard, but now we have the capability to allow our truck to tell us when we need a oil change! Just wondering how that is determined.
I'm wondering the same.
From what I can gather the base line is 10,000 miles and then the computer will adjust to less miles if you beat on it, do a lot of towing, short trips, high idle time, etc.
I'm quite old school. I will do my first oil change at 3K (presently at 500 miles) then every 5K after that.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm wondering the same.
From what I can gather the base line is 10,000 miles and then the computer will adjust to less miles if you beat on it, do a lot of towing, short trips, high idle time, etc.
I'm quite old school. I will do my first oil change at 3K (presently at 500 miles) then every 5K after that.
There isn't really a baseline, sometimes it can be over 10,000 before it says due. The manual just says never exceed 10,000. I only went by that on leased vehicles, and still changed before 10%. It's still better to change more frequently, on an engine you want to keep.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Typical 6k oil change here unless I’m traveling when its around due time then Ill wait till I get to whatever next job site location is when I know ill be there for a few weeks. I won’t nickel and dime on a oil change just to let it go to 10k. Not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jexx

Reaction score
I know it doesn't account for length of time either, I have had my truck for almost a year but I don't put many miles on it, and my oil life is still at like 60%. I'll be changing the oil this weekend though, as I know its not good going over a year between oil changes.

Users who are viewing this thread