5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change interval

limechallenger

Reaction score
What is the unit of measurement that our trucks use to know when a oil change is needed? I know we've always used 3000 miles as a standard, but now we have the capability to allow our truck to tell us when we need a oil change! Just wondering how that is determined.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
3k miles hasn't been a standard OCI for decades. Dealerships still use that so they can make more money off the totally unnecessary oil changes. I change oil when the meter shows about 10% oil life left, (which is usually after about 9k miles) or 11 months since the last change, whichever comes first. As long as you keep it under 1 year/10k miles you won't affect your warranty. Many people don't believe in going that long. I use quality synthetic oil and filters, so I'm confident in that schedule.

MarPar

Takes a MoPar to catch a MoPar
Reaction score
To answer your question, I have no idea, but I want to see pics of your Challenger T/A!! :love:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The BCM actually determines oil life. It keeps track of temperature, load, acceleration, idle time, anything that can effect oil life. ,It can vary from a few thousand, to more than 10 thousand, but manufacturers say never go over 10,000 or 1 year. I agree, I use synthetic and change earlier, for my own piece of mind.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would follow the user manual for service recommendations at the minimum. However many change the oil much sooner than recommendations, in short, you are going to get many different answers.

I change every 6 months or 5-6k miles using full synthetic.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The maximum you can go based on the manual is 1 year or 10,000, whichever comes first, regardless of what your maintenance computer states.

Most people stick to 5,000 - 7,500 mile intervals. I personally drive lower miles since I work from home, I do an annual oil change with high quality synthetic and OEM filter, which equates to about 4,500 miles.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
There is no answer to this and the question is just a rabbit hole

You can send out your oil to be checked after changes and see if you could go longer or should go shorter.

Typically anything less then 5k is pointless, some people do 10k or even 15k.

I do mine 5-7k but again, the only way to know if to get your oil checked.

The oil % life in your truck is fake new. It doesn't and can't tell you when to properly change it.

Dewey

Reaction score
I drive 90% highway miles and change every 10,000 miles. Just so happens that’s when my Oil Life Monitor tells me to as well. I base it more off how the oil looks. Even after 10,000 miles the oil looks very good yet.

Very high quality oils and much tighter tolerances on motors these days makes changing oil much more often unnecessary. Changing less than 5000 miles EXCEPT the first oil change on a brand new motor is just a waste of good synthetic oil.

limechallenger

Reaction score
Really NICE!! Do you have any under hood pics you could share?
Sorry I don't have any under hood pictures on phone! When I get it our this spring I will try to get some. It's a possibility I may put it up for sale ,so I will need a bunch more picture for that!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sorry I don't have any under hood pictures on phone! When I get it our this spring I will try to get some. It's a possibility I may put it up for sale ,so I will need a bunch more picture for that!
Then you'll have to change your username :p

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me....only 2 numbers are relevant...if your are a car/truck guy.

You either hit mileage, or you hit the time from the last time you change the oil.

Everything is using synthetic oil, so that already puts you at 6-10k miles. Now it just comes down to how fast you get to that number. If you don't hit it in 6-12 months then it's time to change.

I don't really go by the oil life meter just because if I pass a year, then it won't be accurate.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Jexx

Reaction score
Is it normal for a dealer to use synthetic blend on the RAM 1500's? I'm about due for my first free oil change and the dealer told me they use synthetic blend oil, and the manual recommends full synthetic. I haven't used blended oil in any of my vehicles for years, and chances are I will just change the oil myself using full synthetic and skip the free oil change.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is it normal for a dealer to use synthetic blend on the RAM 1500's? I'm about due for my first free oil change and the dealer told me they use synthetic blend oil, and the manual recommends full synthetic. I haven't used blended oil in any of my vehicles for years, and chances are I will just change the oil myself using full synthetic and skip the free oil change.
Considering you have a 2022, the manual says 0W20 oil
I do not know of a 0W20 blend.

Tell them it takes full syn, and to use that period.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Depends on driving conditions. Short trips and long idle time are much harder on oil than a 30 minute commute on the highway.

From the manual:

Screenshot_20230114_213700_Samsung Notes~2.jpg

6of36

Reaction score
Considering you have a 2022, the manual says 0W20 oil
I do not know of a 0W20 blend.

Tell them it takes full syn, and to use that period.
Locally I can find 0w20 in many brands of synthetic. I was able to buy 5 qt jugs at Blain"s farm and fleet, I forget which name brand, because it was about 4 months ago, that had a $10 per jug rebate, making it less than $4 a quart.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The BCM accounts for all of that, except the dust.
Not sure what the BCM has to do with oil changes. That's not where the oil life monitor gets it's information

Users who are viewing this thread