5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Change Information - HELP!

bkawasakiyee

Reaction score
Hello. New Ram and diesel engine owner. I would like to do the first oil change on my 2020 Ram 1500 Rebel Ecodiesel and cannot find the oil filter part number. Also, I have been following the 'conflicting oil standards' thread and I'm still confused. I purchased Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 Full Synthetic but now I'm not sure I have the right oil. It shouldn't be this hard nor should I have to take my truck to the dealership for oil service.

What is the part number for the 3rd gen 3.0L Ecodiesel?
What is the oil recommendation?

I've read all the oil related threads and have read the owners manual cover to cover, but I have more questions than answers.

This is a great forum! My last truck was a Tacoma so I know forums like this and TacomaWorld are very beneficial for us DIY folks. Any help would greatly appreciated!

HST

Reaction score
Oil filter #68498720 AA allmopararts.com , price is 63.25 or at Genosgarage.com for 74.95 .

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oil filter is $43.95.

As far as the oil goes, the manual shows two different oils and two different specs. @RamCares mentioned that the second spec (MS-12991) is the one that's actually recommended, but that oil is extremely hard to locate and extremely expensive. So, I'm planning to go with the original spec (MS-10902) with Shell Rotella T6 since my owners manual does mention it and they won't be able to give me grief over it. The 2.5 gallon jug we need is $56 at my local Walmart.

Users who are viewing this thread