5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil analysis is in, aluminum content is up. Ugh!

Paulie

Reaction score
I would like some options from other eco owners who have been getting their oil analyzed. Here is my updated Blackstone report. At what point should I be concerned about the amount of aluminum present? Is it time to trade her in? Am I overreacting? It sucks because I really love this truck!

Attachments

• FFF27C07-A1D8-4C80-B61D-175796A9BE28.png
    FFF27C07-A1D8-4C80-B61D-175796A9BE28.png
    161.9 KB · Views: 72

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'd post that over on the BITOG forum if I were you, lot of knowledable folks there who can probably help. I would try a different oil too though I don't know enough about diesels to make a recommendation.

Paulie

Reaction score
I'd post that over on the BITOG forum if I were you, lot of knowledable folks there who can probably help. I would try a different oil too though I don't know enough about diesels to make a recommendation.
Thanks, but what is BITOG?

tom318

Reaction score
Its hard to see exactly what it is. Is that 56? Higher then what I see on mine. There is Oil Analysis thread you could compare to others. I read that high aluminum us common due to flux in the intercooler. Mine has been sitting around 22, i should get my report any day now.

Might want to give them a call and see what they think. Seems like many of us are seeing high aluminum but I haven't seen any failures or issues arise yet.

Curious what bob the oil guy has to say!

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Its hard to see exactly what it is. Is that 56? Higher then what I see on mine. There is Oil Analysis thread you could compare to others. I read that high aluminum us common due to flux in the intercooler. Mine has been sitting around 22, i should get my report any day now.

Might want to give them a call and see what they think. Seems like many of us are seeing high aluminum but I haven't seen any failures or issues arise yet.

Curious what bob the oil guy has to say!

Good point on the intercooler. That's what someone on bitog said about higher amounts of copper in the hemi, since all 5th gen hemis come with the heavy duty cooling and the copper could be leaching out of that and not the engine itself.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
I would like some options from other eco owners who have been getting their oil analyzed. Here is my updated Blackstone report. At what point should I be concerned about the amount of aluminum present? Is it time to trade her in? Am I overreacting? It sucks because I really love this truck!
Definitely a little higher than mine, I believe my last analysis came back with around 21-23 PPM of aluminum. Here is another thread where some of us have been posting oil analysis so you can compare!
We have a few EcoDiesels posting their results here.

StringNH

Reaction score
Your aluminum content is much better than mine. I do 10k oil changes, drive very easy, all highway and unloaded. At 60k miles, I'm showing 68ppm, my average is 69ppm. Been very consistent at every change. I don't like it either but no problems yet and it runs fine.

rnr5038

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2020 EcoDiesel and I've had some similar concerns. I get my oil analysis done by Oil Analyzers. I run Amsoil and those are the kits they sell. Blackstone seems to give better feedback on what the results mean though. I have a screenshot below of all my results combined into a graph. These are all the wear metals (lines, scale on left) overlaid with engine hours (bars, scale on right). As a reference point, i've been doing my changes between 5 and 6 thousand miles. So far it seems like my aluminum and iron have a strong correlation to the engine hours. To be expected to some degree, but im also wondering if these will ever stabilize like the other wear metals shown. I reached out to Oil Analyzers to see if they have any data they can share for other EcoDiesels, for comparison, but have not heard back yet.

Capture.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread