5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off road with air ride

derp

Reaction score
Heres a question for ya.....

Why do truck manufacturers use a channel type beam under a truck that can hold mud and stuff? Wouldn't it be smarter to use Steel square stock or box beam construction? Inquiring minds....

Solid square stock of an equal weight will not have the same strength in the desired directions as formed metal.
Fully enclosed rails would be super strong in most directions, but be nigh impossible to coat for rustproofing.
partially enclosed rails would still ultimately accumulate garbage, and then cleanout would be a major hassle.

partially enclosed, fully coated/treated rails with an easy access cleanout/drain plugging of all the openings would be ideal, but then it comes back around to

COST.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If that works, you could also move the fuse out to allow for an inline switch. Instead of power -> fuse -> air ride , you could have Power -> switch -> fuse -> air ride.
Definitely don't ditch the fuse entirely. but the circuit loop being extended to include a toggle would be more convenient long term than pulling and re-seating fuses.

*I don't have air ride. I can't test this to see if it would actually produce the desired results. I am only speculating on a comfortable way of getting this if TruckDriver's post holds true.*

In another life I was an electrical engineer - that would definitely work and truly I wouldn't recommend removing the fuse permanently. A switch would be great if you're often off-road and need 'manual' control. I figure the fuse is a good option for this 'stuck' situation. Like someone mentioned above, the 'off-road' height ride quality is horrendous, that's reason enough to have a coil sprung truck for true off-road capability

Also to note. the suspension won't self adjust with the door open - so if you're stuck, leave the door open while you pull the fuse.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tire Jack Mode in the Settings>Suspension menu will stop the air suspension from self adjusting. Why add a switch or pull a fuse?

There's a 'speed limit' after which Tire Jack Mode and Alignment Mode will 'release' and the truck will go back to standard driving settings

Can you drive it in "Tire Jack Mode"?

You can, however as above, the system will turn Tire Jack Mode after X-Feet and X-MPH of driving (It's been a while since I looked it up).

So unfortunately you can't indefinitely drive w/Tire Jack Mode or Alignment Mode on

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/