5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off-Road Packages - Rebel V. 4x4 Off-Road:

Bubba33

Reaction score
Fortunately, I'm used to opening diff's coming from a JL Rubicon. So the behavior of those axles, unlocked is wholly familiar to me. There was some nonsense on the JL forums where someone in a sport, or maybe Sahara, was running circles around a Rubicon in some off-camber hilly stuff. Of course, the difference here is that every other JL can order an "Anti-Spin" diff, or let's just say LSD rear end. Which is great. But let's just say that when those locks go on in the Rubi, of course, it's two different animals in comparison. Anyhow, I guess my point is that it pays to understand what your purchasing, and how to use it properly. My guess is that most people may not fully understand how their particular 4x system may work in a given vehicle. I mean, another case in point where some other member here was throwing his rebel in full 4x mode, and doing circles on hard pavement and wondering why the drive system was starting to bind... need I say more?
I have a 19 laramie sport and lsd. I have a 18 JL Sahara, i didn't get a rubicon because it will be on the road 90 % of the time. I like having the lsd for the wifes everyday driver instead of a open differential.i know it can be locked in low side or over ride that feature and use it in hi side with a tazar. Our jl is on 3in lift with 35s and adjustable LCA and track bars , quick disconnect sway bar links. It hangs with rubicons pretty damn good. I wouldn't go for the lockers unless i was going to be off road allot, in rough terrain.

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
I have a 19 laramie sport and lsd. I have a 18 JL Sahara, i didn't get a rubicon because it will be on the road 90 % of the time. I like having the lsd for the wifes everyday driver instead of a open differential.i know it can be locked in low side or over ride that feature and use it in hi side with a tazar. Our jl is on 3in lift with 35s and adjustable LCA and track bars , quick disconnect sway bar links. It hangs with rubicons pretty damn good. I wouldn't go for the lockers unless i was going to be off road allot, in rough terrain.

Totally agree. I'd bet 99% of the people don't need lockers 99% of the time. I was merely trying to express the differences between the lockers and LSD. I agree that LSD's are the best for most folks. I didn't need a rubicon, and maybe only used the lockers once, or twice. That said, I'm happy with the Rebel, and fully understand how the open diff works in this vehicle. And I'm OK that it has an open diff. Dont need/want LSD, me thinks at this point.

Hereford

Reaction score
I have the off road group on my 19 bighorn and absolutely love the locking differential. The only complaint is when I'm transitioning from mud to gravel in a turn and I have to unlock it since its working against itself in a turn . I ranch and am also a large animal veterinarian so I stay in the mud on a daily basis. That and having a 2k lb vet box insert in the bed requires me to have as much off road capability as possible since the truck is heavy. This option was just the ticket as my last bighorn lacked the locking rear dif.

Buck

Reaction score
Does anyone know how much the off road package changes the ride quality and cabin noise on the highway? Is the ride rougher, smoother, not much different? I'm assuming the all terrain tires will make more noise in the cabin but is it very noticeable?
2019 Longhorn offroad noise and ride better than 2016 Sierra. the tires are quite but lack in true bite offroad
But not bad for factory tire

brainless

Reaction score
For the record of MWO:

Off-road package == simple non-gravel terrain
Rebel == capable of more serious off roading.

Short of not caring about major dents, the Rebel was absolutely fantastic in an Off-road park. We had a blast.

2017 Rebel my wife owns:

y4mLe5K2NHhkoNpIAtD3oVpvffqH2wxy4T7RSjD1I6wahCYeeROpLEHZv1ot2oc8cGreT9lI5VfCO4XyTJPE2YRoSi4O9ihQI5AX4rY0F-hJWUVjTxm9SMD2QZ6GDZ67-KxrCmxfv2ebCC5EjeBYIYO33tN6kt3ZF0n6fEyLxjhWOekd-il86NnONvyMqdygAkyS5UwBhB11Okpxwt59BGMZg

P.S.: I know, it's not a 5thGen, but we're comparing packages, here. Aren't we?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/