5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Road Group Shocks

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I have a question about the optional Off Road Group shocks:

The ORG uses Hitachi HD shocks. The non-ORG trucks have "frequency response damped" dual valve shocks, which helps the truck ride as nice as it does.

What are the Hitachi HD shocks like? Do they also have a dual valve system that will contribute to a smooth ride? Will they worsen the ride?

I would appreciate any and all knowledge of the two different shocks that anyone is willing to share.

Thanks in advance.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the ORG package. There is nothing special to these shocks at all. They are just some generic FCA chocks

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Feel firmer than non-ORG but hard to tell difference between that and the increased ride height (more air in the suspension). It is still quite smooth and takes road issues very well.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Bilstein shows variants of the 5100, 5125, and 5165 on their website, but I'm guessing 5139 is unique to the Ram OEM shocks.

I wonder if these are similar to the 5100 series that this guy reviewed on his 2017 Ram HD:
Thanks for the video. I was initially afraid of the ride I was going to get with the ORG heavy duty shocks. I feel much better about it now after all of you have expressed your thoughts and experience on this thread. My gratitude to all!

The_Chemist

Reaction score
One question still remains unanswered for me.....

Do the ORG Heavy Duty shocks still make use of "Frequency Response Damping" like the standard non-ORG shocks?

Information on these trucks is so hard to find. You have to dig and read between lines just to derive the facts.

If anyone knows, I would be very grateful for the answer!

Thanks.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Taken from FCA media:

Frequency Response Damping (FRD) shocks
Frequency Response Damping (FRD) has benefitted on- and off-road race cars for many years. More recently the
technology has found its way into the 2019 Ram 1500 with FRD shocks on all four corners. The valves of an FRD
shock automatically adjust for the type of vertical wheel input, allowing the Ram 1500 to have sports-car-like
suspension for handling and a supple suspension on rough terrain. The FRD shocks filter out both actuation
frequencies by using a creative internal design. When the Ram 1500 experiences a slower input, common during
cornering and heavy braking, the bypass valve is closed for more aggressive damping, which provides additional
stability and poise. When driving normally or exposed to faster shock inputs – which is common on rough roads or at
higher speeds – the valve will open to soften the damping, giving the driver more comfort, confidence and control.

jamesfg

Reaction score
Anyone interested in some Bilstein Rebel front struts, 2500 miles on 'em.
20181006_115324.jpg

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Doesn't anybody have an answer for whether or not the shocks used on the off road package or group have the frequency response damping technology like the standard shocks do? I'd really be interested in finding out. Thanks.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Here is the rear Off-Road Group shock:
View attachment 5866
Finally. I had a 2015 Outdoorsman with the one inch lift in effect the off road package for back then and NO ONE could ever explain the shocks difference although RAM touted them as special a bit. I looked off an on for years, zip, nada. Finally a picture. I do realize they are likely different than the 2015 versions but still, a name, a manufacturer.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Taken from FCA media:

Frequency Response Damping (FRD) shocks
Frequency Response Damping (FRD) has benefitted on- and off-road race cars for many years. More recently the
technology has found its way into the 2019 Ram 1500 with FRD shocks on all four corners. The valves of an FRD
shock automatically adjust for the type of vertical wheel input, allowing the Ram 1500 to have sports-car-like
suspension for handling and a supple suspension on rough terrain. The FRD shocks filter out both actuation
frequencies by using a creative internal design. When the Ram 1500 experiences a slower input, common during
cornering and heavy braking, the bypass valve is closed for more aggressive damping, which provides additional
stability and poise. When driving normally or exposed to faster shock inputs – which is common on rough roads or at
higher speeds – the valve will open to soften the damping, giving the driver more comfort, confidence and control.
There is a video on how the frame is built that has one of the RAM engineers explaining them from a slightly different angle and how they "tune" them.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Thanks for the video. I was initially afraid of the ride I was going to get with the ORG heavy duty shocks. I feel much better about it now after all of you have expressed your thoughts and experience on this thread. My gratitude to all!
Essentially, you apparently have to drive them back to back to ascertain any difference and in every video I have seen there is very little and both are noted as very good with the non ORP shocks simply being noted as a bit smoother less "harsh" over regular road bumps but even when noting that, reviewers note it is hard to tell unless you are paying close attention.

TLOC

Reaction score
Any chance y'all know if you can run the ORG springs with the non ORG shocks???

Users who are viewing this thread