5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off-Road Group Questions

HAL9001

Reaction score
I'm building a configuration for a 2021 1500 Laramie and wondering if I should get the Off-Road Group. For only $840 it adds quite a few useful features:

1605669967694.png

I'm not planning on doing much if any serious off-roading but I do travel a lot on rough dirt and gravel roads and appreciate the extra protection.

I do have some questions though.

Does the Off-Road Group add a lift to a Laramie? I can't find anywhere where that's stated. I carefully measured the height of a 1500 at exactly 78 3/4", which just barely fits my 80" garage door opening, so any additional height is concerning. The Rebel appears to have a 1" lift, but I'm not sure if they do that on the Laramie with the ORG package.

Do the heavy-duty shocks or the All-Terrain tires adversely affect the ride?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

RamGuy32

Reaction score
I have the ORG and it rides beautifully on the road or the off road. It adds about 1 inch to the height and you nailed it that for $840 it's one of the most economical upgrades they have. The AT tires ride with no issues, no whirring or sound you see hear on lifted trucks as they wouldn't sell a lot of they did. Do it, you won't regret it. The locking Rea axle is an amazing upgrade for in the snow or in a tough spot off-road.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
The ORG does add a 1" Lift. Personally I would've loved to get the ORG. Pretty awesome bang for buck IMO. My vote is to get it, but if it prevents you from parking in your garage then maybe not?

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered my 2021 Laramie with the ORP. I have it on my current bighorn and wouldn’t go without it. It’s a nice upgrade for the price with the tires, skid plates, locker axel etc.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I agree with the others that the ORG is one of the best bang for your buck options. But your garage height is concerning because the option does add 1 inch of lift over non-ORG trucks. Interestingly, it's still 1/2 inch lower than a Rebel because of the tires being 1 inch smaller than the Rebel's. Given that there can and will be variance from one 1500 to the next, your margin of safety (1.25") is pretty small. If I were you, I wouldn't buy even a non-ORG equipped truck unless I could make sure it fit in your 80 inch garage. You might make contact if you drive over a bug LOL.

moparleo51

Reaction score
take a ram with the ORG and test drive it to your house and see, easy peasy

nburd

Reaction score
Agreed with all of you. After crawling around under it the other day, those skid plates are real nice, on top of the tires and locker. I test drove with and without and noticed no real difference in ride. Your garage door needs to make the decision. Do not forget the Fixed antenna on the roof.

U

User_3336

It does mention a "full size spare". I doubt its a 275/55R20 tire - actual tire that the truck is riding on.

A "full size spare" could mean an 18 inch full size tire with the same height.

Rarely do you see a spare matching the same tires the truck rides on.

brewdad

Reaction score
Add the Air Suspension option to your build and then can lower the Ram to the "entry/exit setting" before entering your garage.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It does mention a "full size spare". I doubt its a 275/55R20 tire - actual tire that the truck is riding on.

Yup, you're right. It's the same tire (Falken Wildpeak), but mounted on an 18 inch alloy wheel. I forget the size of the tire, but it's the same diameter as the other tires.
Add the Air Suspension option to your build and then can lower the Ram to the "entry/exit setting" before entering your garage.
This is a great suggestion if the OP is okay with having air suspension.

nburd

Reaction score

Mine has an 18” full size spare but it is a Falken wildpeak 275-65-18. Truck has 275/55r20s

U

User_3336

Brother has a set of Rebel wheels and tires on a Tradesman. Spare traded out was a Falken Wildpeak 18 inch. (they were going to leave the old factory 18 inch tire before I caught it)

njt07

Reaction score
How much does the ORG impact mpg. I measured my garage and I only have an 82” clearance (and 19’ 6” length clearance) so a ORG ram would BARELY fit, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread