5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM Wheel and Tire as a spare?

Booch

Reaction score
10+ years of driving trucks with oversized LT tires, never had a flat. 250 miles into a trip, I put a lag bolt in one of my new 295/70R18s. Luckily, it only drained to about 40, so I made it to a shop. But, that thought in the back of my mind of not having a proper spare is now in the front of my mind.

The OEM spare is about 2.25" shorter than my 295s, which is no good unless really desperate. I've still got my OEM tires/wheels (275/70R18), wondering if it'd be a bad idea to hang one of them underneath? Seems like it'd fit, just not sure if that cable system is substantial enough to keep it there.

Thoughts?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't see a reason you can't use the bigger wheel and tire . My Rebel has the same size spare as my regular wheels and tires from factory so the hardware should be fine for holding it up .

Moosefire66

Reaction score
I dont know exactly what 4wd system these trucks are running now, but can't you just run the smaller tire up front while running 2wd? If the 4wd or awd isn't engaged it should (in theory) not cause a problem. Don't put it on the drive wheels obviously, but that was my plan as I just got 20s to replace my 18s...

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

cjh0702

Reaction score
Bump... Really interested in knowing if I could have an OEM wheel and tire fit underneath as a spare.

Howie Dub

Reaction score
Have you seen this video?

Not sure if you can as it looks like the piece that holds the spare in place goes through the center of the rim and I don't think the hole where the center cap goes is that big.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Have you seen this video?

Not sure if you can as it looks like the piece that holds the spare in place goes through the center of the rim and I don't think the hole where the center cap goes is that big.

It still fits, there are several members here with upgrade wheels and factory wheels as full size spares. It's a tighter fit to get the holder to slip in there, but it should be fine.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
10+ years of driving trucks with oversized LT tires, never had a flat. 250 miles into a trip, I put a lag bolt in one of my new 295/70R18s. Luckily, it only drained to about 40, so I made it to a shop. But, that thought in the back of my mind of not having a proper spare is now in the front of my mind.

The OEM spare is about 2.25" shorter than my 295s, which is no good unless really desperate. I've still got my OEM tires/wheels (275/70R18), wondering if it'd be a bad idea to hang one of them underneath? Seems like it'd fit, just not sure if that cable system is substantial enough to keep it there.

Thoughts?

Based on what other posters have said here, you should be able to fit a 34" tire in there maybe partially deflated. The stock 33.2" should be fine.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Thanks everyone! Now to find someone willing to sell one wheel...
Check out facebook marketplace and craigslist. I scored a set of 4 matching tires and wheels with about 300 miles on them for $300. One is under my truck and the other three are sitting with the temporary spare in my mother-in-law's storage unit.

cjh0702

Reaction score
Check out facebook marketplace and craigslist. I scored a set of 4 matching tires and wheels with about 300 miles on them for $300. One is under my truck and the other three are sitting with the temporary spare in my mother-in-law's storage unit.
Good point! I'll look there! Thanks for the tip!

Howie Dub

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Now to find someone willing to sell one wheel...
Here are a few on eBay. The last one has scratches, but is significantly less than the first three. You just have to add the tire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/