5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM Rear Mud Flaps - WTF?

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Put on the Mopar mud flaps a while ago, and am more and more annoyed by the fact that the rears turn into 2 liter water bottles in the rain! Tne morning after I park in the garage after driving in the rain, there’s a large puddle on each side, as the water (painfully) slowly drips out at the seam.

Last weekend, I stuck my hand in one, and it was filled to the brim with water. 1/4” of sand/silt/muck at the bottom. Drilled a hole in the bottom of each, and this happened...

1630605112710.jpeg
A minute later, the hole plugged with silt, so today will make the hole bigger...

But COME ON! Def a 1st world prob, but still. Never had anything like this on any other vehicle. Demote that engineer down to dishwasher!

Anybody have a better solution? I like the look, and am keeping them, just don’t want deal With this any more...

Jonathange

Reaction score
Put on the Mopar mud flaps a while ago, and am more and more annoyed by the fact that the rears turn into 2 liter water bottles in the rain! Tne morning after I park in the garage after driving in the rain, there’s a large puddle on each side, as the water (painfully) slowly drips out at the seam.

Last weekend, I stuck my hand in one, and it was filled to the brim with water. 1/4” of sand/silt/muck at the bottom. Drilled a hole in the bottom of each, and this happened...

View attachment 104371
A minute later, the hole plugged with silt, so today will make the hole bigger...

But COME ON! Def a 1st world prob, but still. Never had anything like this on any other vehicle. Demote that engineer down to dishwasher!

Anybody have a better solution? I like the look, and am keeping them, just don’t want deal With this any more...

I just installed mine and they where filled with foam inserts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
For molded ones, go WeatherTech and you won't have this issue. I might go with GatorBacks this time but they are pricey!

magic280z

Reaction score
They have little slits in the bottom for drainage that clog immediately. I have a gravel driveway so the whole "cup" fills full of dirt.

Worst design ever!!!

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 - Crew Cab/5.7 Bed - 5.7 Hemi - 3.92 - Anti Spin - Level 1 Options - RamBox - BUG

Kaderast

Reaction score
I cut off the factory mud spats to make room for flares, then just did universal mud flaps. Just takes a little bit of trimming.

Attachments

• 20210902_170945.jpg
    20210902_170945.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210902_170951.jpg
    20210902_170951.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 64

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 104371

I drilled big holes in the bottom of my pos lemon 19 Laramie and they were full and dripping all the time. Worst design of a mud flap I’ve ever seen, ever! I put weather techs on my 2021 = 110% better!

LHarv

Reaction score
I went with gator backs and I'll never look back. These things are fantastic, easy to install and look great. Little pricey but worth it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210902-224201_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210902-224201_Gallery.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 55

1awesomelaw

Reaction score

View attachment 104371

Couldn't you just cutr the lower seam off the mud flap so as it to not hold water at all. but what about general water itself in the wheel wells doesn't that drop on the floor.
Perhaps you could buy Large Pee Pads for dogs and park on them when it rains so you don't get water in your garage .... Ha Ha

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
I went with gator backs and I'll never look back. These things are fantastic, easy to install and look great. Little pricey but worth it.
Do the gator backs come in all black?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I bought these off of amazon. They have the cut outs for the factory fender flares. We just had torrential downpours and got like 7 inches of rain in 36 hours and the roads were flooded everywhere. They did not collect or hold any water Screenshot_20210903-105024_Amazon Shopping.jpg 20210702_110637.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online