5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM Phone mount?

rick619

Reaction score
I've seen a few (mostly on Facebook) post about their aftermarket phone mounts. I've asked in every post if they don't have the OEM phone mount and have never gotten a response.

So here's a picture of my OEM phone mount on my '23 Big Horn. Just wondering if all 5th gen have this? Or was it only certain years and/or models?

Phone-mount.jpg

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've seen a few (mostly on Facebook) post about their aftermarket phone mounts. I've asked in every post if they don't have the OEM phone mount and have never gotten a response.

So here's a picture of my OEM phone mount on my '23 Big Horn. Just wondering if all 5th gen have this? Or was it only certain years and/or models?

View attachment 181971
I'm pretty sure all have it. Some have the Ramcharger wireless charger option too. Which can be added after the fact to. I did it to mine. But if you use CarPlay or Android Auto, it won't charge it very well.

MoparSconnie

Reaction score
The '25 I test drove earlier this week had the dual phone holder like you show, except it had the wireless charging backs so I'm guessing they all have some version of it. My one gripe is that large phones (Galaxy Ultras, etc) don't fit with a case on. Why Ram hasn't addressed this yet in the 5th gens yet really pisses me off, especially now that wireless charging is making it's way into most trim levels

vincentw56

Reaction score
The '25 I test drove earlier this week had the dual phone holder like you show, except it had the wireless charging backs so I'm guessing they all have some version of it. My one gripe is that large phones (Galaxy Ultras, etc) don't fit with a case on. Why Ram hasn't addressed this yet in the 5th gens yet really pisses me off, especially now that wireless charging is making it's way into most trim levels
My Galaxy S23 Ultra fits just fine with a thick case on it. Even charges with the wireless charger.

MoparSconnie

Reaction score
My Galaxy S23 Ultra fits just fine with a thick case on it. Even charges with the wireless charger.
Interesting. Mind if I ask what case? I've got the same phone in an otterbox and it doesn't seat fully in my old man's 21 bighorn, which is fine since it doesn't have wireless charge. It also didn't fully seat on the Laramie I drove this week...just enough gap that wireless charge would flicker on and off every second or 2

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My S23 Ultra with thicker case wouldn't charge on the wireless. I use a thinner case now. I don't remember what thick case I had.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Interesting. Mind if I ask what case? I've got the same phone in an otterbox and it doesn't seat fully in my old man's 21 bighorn, which is fine since it doesn't have wireless charge. It also didn't fully seat on the Laramie I drove this week...just enough gap that wireless charge would flicker on and off every second or 2

CaseBorne V

rick619

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

So that does make me wonder why anyone would add an ugly aftermarket mount. I've seen the ones that go on top, center of the dash. My reply is usually asking why they don't just use the OEM mount? Still scratching my head on that one. I'm very happy with the OEM mount.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

So that does make me wonder why anyone would add an ugly aftermarket mount. I've seen the ones that go on top, center of the dash. My reply is usually asking why they don't just use the OEM mount? Still scratching my head on that one. I'm very happy with the OEM mount.
I don't use the OEM mount because the wireless charge feature was worthless for my S23 and now my S24. Plus I want to see my phone at a glance, it's too dangerous to take my eyes off the rod to see a phone down in the OEM mount. Wonder no more.

I disagree with your opinion that an aftermarket mount is ugly

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I don't use the OEM mount because the wireless charge feature was worthless for my S23 and now my S24. Plus I want to see my phone at a glance, it's too dangerous to take my eyes off the rod to see a phone down in the OEM mount. Wonder no more.

You shouldn't be looking at your phone, no matter where it's located.

The wireless charging works just fine for my S23+, but I also realize the limitations of wireless charging. If I need more than a top off or need quicker charging, I just use my USB C cable.

I agree with @rick619...not a fan of those goofy erector set phone mounts.

rick619

Reaction score

Looks are subjective, but I'll assume you don't have wireless charging with the aftermarket mount? I get that you want it higher up. Though I figure most options are available with wireless car play. So I rarely need to look at or touch my phone while I'm driving. I'd probably pull over if I did need to do something on it.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I never said "look", I said "glance". Big difference.
Tell me you never glance at your fuel gauge or speedometer or coolant temp, etc.
Your criticism was gratuitous.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Looks are subjective, but I'll assume you don't have wireless charging with the aftermarket mount? I get that you want it higher up. Though I figure most options are available with wireless car play. So I rarely need to look at or touch my phone while I'm driving. I'd probably pull over if I did need to do something on it.
I do have wireless charging with the aftermarket mount. Works flawlessly, unlike the OEM. And I find a safe pullout if I need to use my phone.
I agree, looks are subjective and personal, to each his own.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I never said "look", I said "glance". Big difference.
Tell me you never glance at your fuel gauge or speedometer or coolant temp, etc.
Your criticism was gratuitous.

I apologize. I didn't intend to call you out specifically, but I get riled when someone says they need to see their phone better. I jump to the conclusion that they are doing it for reading and sending texts. It's an epidemic in this country. If you are using your phone for navigation or listening to music...yes, it's a glance and definitely a big difference.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 181971
My Samsung with the otter-box is too tight of a fit, therefore aftermarket RAM mount up on top.
Ram mount for Ram..jpg

Last edited:

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The wireless charging works just fine for my S23+, but I also realize the limitations of wireless charging. If I need more than a top off or need quicker charging, I just use my USB C cable.

I agree with @rick619...not a fan of those goofy erector set phone mounts.

Yeppp x2 exact reasoning I went and installed the oem wireless charger. I just hated all the aftermarket phone mount options, I don’t need my phone directly in my eye sight but easy enough to grab if I need it but I was also aware of limitations and that it was not a fast charger like many complain about but will keep up with wireless carplay which is 99% of my use. Ill use a cord if I need faster charging or if batteries to low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/