5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM LEDs W/ Retroshop Adapters - DRL Issue

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Weird issue popped up this morning with my headlights. These are OEM night edition LEDs with the retroshop adapters since my truck was originally equipped with halogen headlights. I bought these secondhand, and have had them on the truck for a few months now with no problems. I washed my truck this morning, and everything was going great until I was basically finished. As I was drying the vehicle off, I noticed my DRLs were on. I Instantly thought a door was open, or I mistakenly left the headlight dial on or something simple like that. Nope. They just came on at random. The truck is off, the headlight dial is off, and the DRLs are bright as can be. I have a security camera facing my driveway, so I went back to review the footage and as I’m drying back near the bed of the truck, you can see the driver side headlight DRL begin flickering for a few seconds before fully illuminating. The passenger side followed immediately after. After failing to get them to shut off once I noticed they were on, I decided to disconnect the battery and let it sit for nearly 6 hours today hoping it would reset whatever is going on. No luck. I can only assume that something isn’t happy from getting wet during the wash, but I’m pretty stumped. I’ve driven in pouring down rain multiple times with these lights and never had an issue. I sent Retroshop an email tonight to see if they’ve ever had a similar case come in, but wondering if anyone here has a clue? I mean, the truck looks great with the DRLs on but I’d really like them to turn off when the truck is off lol.

Attachments

• B9690101-B40B-49B1-A5FF-EEEE0A6A4DE1.jpeg
    B9690101-B40B-49B1-A5FF-EEEE0A6A4DE1.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 48

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Man those headlights are becoming a pain in your *** huh? I’m sorry man that sucks! I have no clue besides obviously thinking something got wet that wasn’t weatherproof. I feel like it has to be related to the water

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man those headlights are becoming a pain in your *** huh? I’m sorry man that sucks! I have no clue besides obviously thinking something got wet that wasn’t weatherproof. I feel like it has to be related to the water
It’s been a rough few months to say the least lol. I really don’t believe the other headaches were headlight related, but it still has been issue after issue lately with the truck which is getting a little ridiculous. This problem appears to be isolated to just the headlight DRLs and nothing else so I’m hoping I can pinpoint the source without too much difficulty. I agree that I think it’s water related as well. That’s too coincidental. It’s the first wash I’ve done since swapping these in, and it’s the first time this issue popped up.

bikemancs

Reaction score
Have you tried pulling the connectors and looking at them? Seeing if water or some corrosion? But not sure why they'd light if the truck is off... Of course I'm still learning about these. Jeremy has been solid to me in the past. I'm sure he'll help out.

rogerthat

Reaction score
Weird issue popped up this morning with my headlights. These are OEM night edition LEDs with the retroshop adapters since my truck was originally equipped with halogen headlights. I bought these secondhand, and have had them on the truck for a few months now with no problems. I washed my truck this morning, and everything was going great until I was basically finished. As I was drying the vehicle off, I noticed my DRLs were on. I Instantly thought a door was open, or I mistakenly left the headlight dial on or something simple like that. Nope. They just came on at random. The truck is off, the headlight dial is off, and the DRLs are bright as can be. I have a security camera facing my driveway, so I went back to review the footage and as I’m drying back near the bed of the truck, you can see the driver side headlight DRL begin flickering for a few seconds before fully illuminating. The passenger side followed immediately after. After failing to get them to shut off once I noticed they were on, I decided to disconnect the battery and let it sit for nearly 6 hours today hoping it would reset whatever is going on. No luck. I can only assume that something isn’t happy from getting wet during the wash, but I’m pretty stumped. I’ve driven in pouring down rain multiple times with these lights and never had an issue. I sent Retroshop an email tonight to see if they’ve ever had a similar case come in, but wondering if anyone here has a clue? I mean, the truck looks great with the DRLs on but I’d really like them to turn off when the truck is off lol.
It’s a bad harness - reach out to retro and they will either replace if still under warranty or you need to buy a new one. Had the same issue on mine before.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you tried pulling the connectors and looking at them? Seeing if water or some corrosion? But not sure why they'd light if the truck is off... Of course I'm still learning about these. Jeremy has been solid to me in the past. I'm sure he'll help out.
Not yet. I did pull the fuse tap to inspect that fuse and harness wiring and it looked okay, but I haven’t had a chance to dig any deeper yet. I’ve heard Jeremy is solid to work with so I’m sure he’ll help me get it sorted.

It’s a bad harness - reach out to retro and they will either replace if still under warranty or you need to buy a new one. Had the same issue on mine before.
That’s what I was leaning towards it being so hearing that you’ve had a similar experience is reassuring that it should be easy to resolve if that’s it. I have no problem replacing the harness if needed, I just didn’t want to pay for a replacement and that not end up being it. Waiting for them to respond to my email and I’ll go from there. Appreciate the reply!

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I called and spoke with Jeremy this morning for about 10-15 minutes. I sent him the video I pulled of what the lights did so he could review. After talking it over with him and trying a couple different things that he suggested, he does believe that it is relay issues within the harnesses. I ordered a replacement set to see if that resolves the problem. Like stated above, I bought these used and I'm just hoping something was up with the wiring harnesses in general, and that it wasn't another condition with my truck that caused the failure. With the last few recent dealer visits resulting in electrical related warranty work, I'm just not sure. Fingers crossed this takes care of the issue.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Realized I never updated the thread with the outcome. The Retroshop harnesses were the issue. We do believe that the failure may have been water related and like I said originally, I bought this setup used so who really knows. They could have just been really old or in poor condition. Either way, I replaced everything with a new set of adapter harnesses, and they are working great. Appreciate the suggestions and feedback from everyone, and i'm thrilled to have my headlights back in working order lol

Users who are viewing this thread