5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM Jack and tools storage, I like the redesign so far

Rebel Chas

Reaction score
I just checked the lug wrench and lug nut fit on the new truck, and I really like the redesign of the hold down system. On the old 2013 2500 the bottom of the hold down screw was exposed to the elements where it screwed through the floor under the passenger seat. On this new one, the bolt is screwed in from the outside and the threads remain inside the cab fairly well protected from the weather. I see this as a much needed improvement and I would like to thank whoever came up with this simple redesign!

Does anyone know what year they made this change?
2023 Jack Storage secured.jpg
2023 Jack Storage secured.jpg 2023 Jack Storage unfastened.jpg

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just checked the lug wrench and lug nut fit on the new truck, and I really like the redesign of the hold down system. On the old 2013 2500 the bottom of the hold down screw was exposed to the elements where it screwed through the floor under the passenger seat. On this new one, the bolt is screwed in from the outside and the threads remain inside the cab fairly well protected from the weather. I see this as a much needed improvement and I would like to thank whoever came up with this simple redesign!

View attachment 172103
View attachment 172103 View attachment 172104

I don't know, but all 5th Gen Rams are like this.

Fairly well protected from the weather? There's actually no way the jack can be exposed to weather, unless you drive around with your passenger door open. 🤣

raygun9

Reaction score
All the gen4 1500s had the bolt through the floor board like you mentioned. Would always rust and seize up. They made the change in 2019+ gen5, not sure if the classic body style is included

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Rebel Chas

Reaction score
The on-line oem parts catalogs show the old design for the current 1500 classic body styles, also for the current 2500 and 3500, the HDs do take a different jack (a bottle style screw jack) .

The same catalog site does not show anything for Jack Stowage on the 2023 or 2024 1500 non-classic, (should be listed as a sub group under Wheels).

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 172103 View attachment 172104

It's a 5th gen cab thing. The 4.5 gen HD cabs still have the through bolt but it's a little different (short wingbolt) with a bottle jack and parts on a tray. Goes back as far as I can recall. I think my Dad's 1972 1500 had it in the same place.

That said, it doesn't have to be removed on the HD, only loosened a bit if needed. The bottle jack is raised with that yellow knob to keep it in place on the tray so one can always get the tools off the tray regardless.

1701743380327.png

Rebel Chas

Reaction score
My 03 3500 and 13 2500 both looked just like your photo. Unless they changed something on the underside to cover/protect the wingbolt ( 52021663AA) threads that protrude through the floor to the outside elements, they can still rust/seize in place. A very cheap simple fix would be to use a short metric bolt that screws up from the outside and then a metric wing nut to hold down the jack and tools stowage tray (worth a try if you live in the rust belt).

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I should have qualified in my post that we don't really have much rust around here.

My 04 only had light surface rust on the frame after 16 years. They've been using mag chloride here for several years now so that's likely to change.

Users who are viewing this thread