5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM Integrated trailer brake controller

Triple6

Reaction score
I have a 2020 1500 Laramie with the OEM trailer brake controller. This truck was purchased used and from the build sheet shows, it was installed at the dealer. If I use only the trailer brake controller on the dash, the brake lights on my travel trailer do not light up unless I'm using the foot pedal. Can someone verify if the brake lights come on a trailer if ONLY the trailer brake controller is used. Much appreciated. Every other vehicle I've ever towed with the brake lights come on with the controller.

John Jensen

Reaction score
It's operating properly. The brake controller only applies power to the trailer's brakes, none to the brake light circuit. You should adjust the controller so that you only have to use the truck's brake pedal.

Triple6

Reaction score
I use it to test connections and the brakes on the towed unit to verify that they are connected and working properly. I also drive a semi and have used just the trailer brake to tug test a trailer I'm connected to. It's also to control the trailer in windy conditions especially empty. It keeps the vehicle straight to avoid jackknifing. I should add that my daytime running lights turn off when stopped and in drive when using just the trailer brake controller.

Last edited:

John Jensen

Reaction score
I use it to test connections and the brakes on the towed unit to verify that they are connected and working properly. I also drive a semi and have used just the trailer brake to tug test a trailer im connected to. It's also to control the trailer is windy conditions especially empty. It keeps the vehicle straight to avoid jackknifing. I should add that my daytime running lights turn off when stopped and in drive when using just the trailer brake controller.
Thanks, It all makes sense and good usage. Except for driving a semi, I do the same.

stevewithavision

Reaction score
I have a factory controller. I am not able to feel the tug on the trailer. I bought a tester, and the lights flash, the dealer says the unit is working as it should, but there is doubt because the truck does all the work. I have tried this on 3 different trailers and have the same problem with all of them. One was a fifth wheel and the others were small pull trailers. I can't get the wheels to lock up with the controller no matter what setting I have it at. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread