5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM Fender Flares

stulang0711

Reaction score
Wanting to put OEM fender flares on my big horn...like the ones on the Laramie and limited. Any suggestions on the best place to by with color match (black diamond)?

Thanks

tobyw

Reaction score
Can't help on the color match but I just did some shopping around last week and found the best deal for me was through Larry H. Miller in Avondale, AZ. Their prices per piece were about the same as several other online resources but their shipping was less than half of everyone else. $261.97 to my door up here in WA.

stulang0711

Reaction score
Can't help on the color match but I just did some shopping around last week and found the best deal for me was through Larry H. Miller in Avondale, AZ. Their prices per piece were about the same as several other online resources but their shipping was less than half of everyone else. $261.97 to my door up here in WA.

So you just called the dealership and ordered them or do they have an online store? Thanks for the info.

Ss69nielsen

Reaction score
Tobyw.... Did you end up installing the OEM flares on your Big Horn? How did you do it? Cut the clips and glue them? I'm looking to do the same but didn't realize the upper trim level trucks have holes drilled in the fenders for the flares.

tobyw

Reaction score
I removed all of the clips (they pop out easily) and just used the screws inside the wheel lip to hold them in place. They are completely secure, and if you take your time while snugging them up you can work the majority of any gap issues out. What I also did, however, was install some fender flare welting to completely eliminate the gaps and at the same time prevent any vibration/rubbing issues between the plastic flares and the sheetmetal fenders:

Link to fender flare welting...

IMG_5245.JPG

IMG_5244.JPG

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I removed all of the clips (they pop out easily) and just used the screws inside the wheel lip to hold them in place. They are completely secure, and if you take your time while snugging them up you can work the majority of any gap issues out. What I also did, however, was install some fender flare welting to completely eliminate the gaps and at the same time prevent any vibration/rubbing issues between the plastic flares and the sheetmetal fenders:

Link to fender flare welting...

View attachment 41546

View attachment 41547
Do you happen to know the P/N for the flares?

Did you need to buy any new trim pieces (not sure what they're called), or did you re-use the ones that came on your truck?

Turbo1895

Reaction score
You have to buy the flares, and what they call "spats"... those are the black trim pieces right at the rear lower edge of the fender. These are the parts I ordered several months ago:

View attachment 41553
Do the Spats replace the stock mud flaps that came on my North Edition? Did your North Edition come with the stock mud flaps? Was this something that had to be replaced?

tobyw

Reaction score
Mine didn't come with mudflaps, so I cannot comment for sure on that? I ended up installing front and rear WeatherTech no-drills after I put on the flares.

tobyw

Reaction score
Thanks for info. What color are they when they arrive?

They arrived black. The fronts were smooth, but the rears had a texture on them. Not sure why they had a different finish, but a light sanding took the majority of the texture off and some high-build primer took care of the rest. They came out smooth and glossy, perfect match for the rest of the truck (y)

Turbo1895

Reaction score
They arrived black. The fronts were smooth, but the rears had a texture on them. Not sure why they had a different finish, but a light sanding took the majority of the texture off and some high-build primer took care of the rest. They came out smooth and glossy, perfect match for the rest of the truck (y)
So I ordered the same exact parts last Friday when I found this thread and received an email back from Mopar Warehouse that there was a problem with my order and to call them. Apparently while the shape is identical there are 2 different versions of the OEM flares that they sell for these trucks. The 1st is a smooth finish which is meant to be painted and the 2nd one is a rough texture finish which is meant to be installed as is and not be painted. Basically the part numbers you ordered are a mix of of the rough and smooth finishes and hence why the difference in the finish. I did get the correct part numbers for the rear smooth flares but it is at home and I am work. I can update this post late with the correct part numbers for the matching smooth fender flares if anyone needs them.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wish they made a factory flare that was a little wider than the standard flare but still smooth without the fake bolt heads and stuff. I feel like the width of the HD flares looks like it’s a bit thicker than the 1500 flares so something around that width would probably be good.

tobyw

Reaction score
Years ago I had a Tundra and could not find an aftermarket flare that I liked because they all had the silly rivet hole look. I ended up buying a used set for cheap and put a couple layers of fiberglass over them, covering the rivets and turning them into a smooth flare. Of course that took out all flexibility, but it worked for my needs and ended up giving me the wider coverage I was looking for without the bro-dozer look.

Turbo1895

Reaction score
I wish they made a factory flare that was a little wider than the standard flare but still smooth without the fake bolt heads and stuff. I feel like the width of the HD flares looks like it’s a bit thicker than the 1500 flares so something around that width would probably be good.
So basically you want something like this?

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So basically you want something like this?

Like that but an even lower profile.

Turbo1895

Reaction score
So I ordered the same exact parts last Friday when I found this thread and received an email back from Mopar Warehouse that there was a problem with my order and to call them. Apparently while the shape is identical there are 2 different versions of the OEM flares that they sell for these trucks. The 1st is a smooth finish which is meant to be painted and the 2nd one is a rough texture finish which is meant to be installed as is and not be painted. Basically the part numbers you ordered are a mix of of the rough and smooth finishes and hence why the difference in the finish. I did get the correct part numbers for the rear smooth flares but it is at home and I am work. I can update this post late with the correct part numbers for the matching smooth fender flares if anyone needs them.
The correct part Numbers for the OEM Fender Flares with the PAINTABLE smooth finish are: 5YL28TZZAD & 5YL29TZZAD. Sorry to anyone who was looking for these part numbers soon but I lost the piece of paper I wrote them on and just found it this weekend.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
i would like to add the oem flare to my big horn as well, compared to my brother limited the side profile on the truck is just missing something

Users who are viewing this thread