5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OEM 22" or aftermarket?

sppb32

Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie came with the 18" rims and tires witch i don't really like, i have the opportunity to get a set of factory 22"s with tires 4500 miles on them for $1400 shipped to me (one of them has a little scratch barely noticeable), i didn't look deep into aftermarket yet but i came across one that i like 20x9+15 offset about $2300 with new tires and sensors.... is the oem 22's a good deal or should i just go aftermarket?

Attachments

• grid-off-road-gd12-gloss-black-milled_1.jpg
    grid-off-road-gd12-gloss-black-milled_1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 16

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie came with the 18" rims and tires witch i don't really like, i have the opportunity to get a set of factory 22"s with tires 4500 miles on them for $1400 shipped to me (one of them has a little scratch barely noticeable), i didn't look deep into aftermarket yet but i came across one that i like 20x9+15 offset about $2300 with new tires and sensors.... is the oem 22's a good deal or should i just go aftermarket?
That's not a bad deal actually. But personally I'd never use a rim size any bigger than 20". The only questions I have for you are... What terrain do you drive on? And what tires are included for the $1400?

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
Idk where you are located but there's a set of takeoff 22s on my local Craigslist for $1095 (Des Moines, IA) no tires but I thought was a really good deal when I seen them on there! As far as what's a better deal it's all personal preference! I personally love the look of the 22s they put on these trucks, and something else to keep in mind, if you ever plan on lifting your truck, depending on what lift you go with there's a good chance you won't be able to run oem wheels with it!

Edit: my bad they are factory 20s here is the CL link (https://desmoines.craigslist.org/wto/d/waukee-brand-new-2019-ram-1500-oem-20/7183388806.html)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

sppb32

Reaction score
That's not a bad deal actually. But personally I'd never use a rim size any bigger than 20". The only questions I have for you are... What terrain do you drive on? And what tires are included for the $1400?
The tires included are Goodyear eagle I believe they came factory with them, i don't do off road at all just maybe a bitt of snow here in Jersey that's all, even the aftermarket ones i priced them with Yokohama Parada Spec x that i had in another truck and they were amazing tires.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The tires included are Goodyear eagle I believe they came factory with them, i don't do off road at all just maybe a bitt of snow here in Jersey that's all, even the aftermarket ones i priced them with Yokohama Parada Spec x that i had in another truck and they were amazing tires.
Goodyear Eagles are ok for the summer street driving but otherwise they are useless...and usually pretty affordable (so $1400 is actually not that great of a deal). I would pass on that then. I'd definitely recommend some all seasons for sure. If you like the Yokohama tires...get them. If you want different rims for those tires...get them. It might cost a little more...but you know you'll be happy with them. Just keep in mind that once you go over 20" rims...the ride becomes very harsh...even with air suspension; compared to 18" rims anyway.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
Goodyear Eagles are ok for the summer street driving but otherwise they are useless...and usually pretty affordable (so $1400 is actually not that great of a deal). I would pass on that then. I'd definitely recommend some all seasons for sure. If you like the Yokohama tires...get them. If you want different rims for those tires...get them. It might cost a little more...but you know you'll be happy with them. Just keep in mind that once you go over 20" rims...the ride becomes very harsh...even with air suspension; compared to 18" rims anyway.
?... If the ride was so harsh over 20 why would they put oem 22s on the truck? Lol my stock 22s on my new Longhorn ride way smoother than my 20s did on my 13 Laramie... The tires effect the ride way more than the 20" to 22" wheel difference

Rambunktious

Reaction score
I have to agree with DirtNazzty on the 22" ride. I've driven the same route for several years now and the potholes that used to make me wince in my Fiat 500 Abarth are barely noticable in my Longhorn. The drive truly is like a luxury car. I'm interested to see if the ride will get a little rougher as the tires lose tread, or if it will retain this super smooth ride all the time.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to agree with DirtNazzty on the 22" ride. I've driven the same route for several years now and the potholes that used to make me wince in my Fiat 500 Abarth are barely noticable in my Longhorn. The drive truly is like a luxury car. I'm interested to see if the ride will get a little rougher as the tires lose tread, or if it will retain this super smooth ride all the time.
Comparing the ride between a fiat 500 and a full size truck is like apples to sirloin steak. The two are completely different vehicles with a completely different weight class. I've tried 22" inch rims....I got rid of them the next day. It is true that tires help. But with only a 45 aspect ratio...there's not much cushion between the ground and the rims so you will feel a difference.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
?... If the ride was so harsh over 20 why would they put oem 22s on the truck? Lol my stock 22s on my new Longhorn ride way smoother than my 20s did on my 13 Laramie... The tires effect the ride way more than the 20" to 22" wheel difference

And just to answer your question...they have 22" rims as a "luxery look" option because a lot of people like the way it looks. I personally love the look too...just not the ride.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
And just to answer your question...they have 22" rims as a "luxery look" option because a lot of people like the way it looks. I personally love the look too...just not the ride.
It rides great lol... I couldn't imagine my truck riding any better, tbh this truck rides way too nice more like a luxery car than a pickup. I honestly hate how nice they ride and how low they sit from the factory

Rambunktious

Reaction score
Comparing the ride between a fiat 500 and a full size truck is like apples to sirloin steak. The two are completely different vehicles with a completely different weight class. I've tried 22" inch rims....I got rid of them the next day. It is true that tires help. But with only a 45 aspect ratio...there's not much cushion between the ground and the rims so you will feel a difference.
That's my point. The rims on the Fiat are very low profile (205/40R17), so the tire "bottomed out" pretty easily when hitting those potholes, even with brand new tires. The tires on my Longhorn are 45s, so only a little bit thicker and yet they don't bottom out the way the Fiat tires did driving over the same potholes. These tires feel like I'm driving on air. They are also brand new, so that air ride could worsen over time as the tread wears, but right now they feel as good as the 18s on my old Titan. Finally, my Abarth was no apple. If anything, it was a sirloin steak to my Ram's ribeye. Not the same cut of meat, but just as nice and fun to drive. I miss my little go-cart.

sppb32

Reaction score
The Goodyear Eagle touring is an all season tire i read the reviews on Tirerack and they seam to do well on rear wheel drive vehicles not so much on front wheel drive with premature wear

sppb32

Reaction score
I'm used to ride 285x35x19 with sport suspension on both of my cars one of them with run-flats not the most comfortable ride

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Goodyear Eagle touring is an all season tire i read the reviews on Tirerack and they seam to do well on rear wheel drive vehicles not so much on front wheel drive with premature wear
The Eagles are marketed as all season but they're really not. I have them on my work vehicle and they're only good for dry/slightly wet payment.

Users who are viewing this thread