5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OE tire pressures

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know a lot of people change their wheels and tires immediately, but for those of us who have no desire(or money) to. I would like to have people post tire pressures they run with their original equipment tires, specify size and brand please.
Also comment if you're seeing any irregular wear and if the dealer has done anything about it.

The dealer had my Bridgestone Duelers set at 38-39 when I picked up the truck and I am ok with the feel over bumps, though I can definitely feel the tires sway. I have not adjusted the pressures at all

I'm starting this as I started seeing the front tires feather after only 5-600 miles of driving. I am currently waiting for the dealer to receive a TSB seal and they are going to take a look at the tires then and determine if they think it needs an alignment...I think if I see something that soon then there's got to be something wrong.
To be clear, I have not noticed anything weird about the handling of the truck, just the feathering of the outside of the front tires.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

kittyjo

Reaction score
I know a lot of people change their wheels and tires immediately, but for those of us who have no desire(or money) to. I would like to have people post tire pressures they run with their original equipment tires, specify size and brand please.
Also comment if you're seeing any irregular wear and if the dealer has done anything about it.

The dealer had my Bridgestone Duelers set at 38-39 when I picked up the truck and I am ok with the feel over bumps, though I can definitely feel the tires sway. I have not adjusted the pressures at all

I'm starting this as I started seeing the front tires feather after only 5-600 miles of driving. I am currently waiting for the dealer to receive a TSB seal and they are going to take a look at the tires then and determine if they think it needs an alignment...I think if I see something that soon then there's got to be something wrong.
To be clear, I have not noticed anything weird about the handling of the truck, just the feathering of the outside of the front tires.

I keep my tires at 43 psi and I like them for now until I switch them out next year

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I currently have 275/55/20 Continental AT tires on and my pressure is 36 f&r. I’m feeling I’ll need to increase that to 40 and see if that improves my ride. Ride now sometimes it looks like my one tire is bulging out.

AndreiV

Reaction score
OEM 275/55/R20 Bridgstone Dueler 11/32 thread. 100% driven on paved roads, zero noise or issues. Front 40 psi, rear 36 psi per door jam. After 7,665 miles front were 10.5/32 , rear 9/32, all even wear, first rotation done.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I keep the OEM Goodyear 22"s at 36psi, per door sticker.

Last edited:

79 300

Reaction score
I have the Bridgestone Duelers 275/55/R20 tires. The dealer had them at 36 PSI all around when I got the truck. I noticed the front tires feathering like the OP mentioned too, especially on the left side tire. I raised the front pressure to 41 PSI and it seemed to help slow down the wear. I had them rotated at 3500 miles, inflated them to 41 PSI in the fronts again, lowered the rears to 36-37 PSI and the fronts are still looking good at 5500 miles. I was thinking of getting the alignment checked, but it drives perfectly straight and the steering wheel is centered perfectly, and I am afraid if they mess with it, it will goof things up. I have had other vehicles with a pull to one side and/or a crooked steering wheel, and it can be tough to fix.

Cross88

Reaction score
I have the Goodyear eagle touring on the factory option 22s. I want to say they are 285/45r22, correct me if I’m wrong. But from the dealer they are 35-36psi cold. I read on the tire that it’s a max of 50, and I’ve been undecided on whether to bump them up to even 40-42. The truck rides great though thus far.

ramhead

Reaction score
As temps have recently dropped below freezing by me, I noticed cold readings dropped to around 34 (they were at 40 when I got truck back in May). The ride definitely suffered and got spongy feeling....I didn't realize just how bad it was until I increased pressure back to 41 (fronts) and 40 (rears). Feels MUCH better at that pressure and ride feels like when it was new. I know tire pressure can affect ride/handling but from past experience 4 - 5 lbs low never felt like this. BTW...I have the OEM Nexen Roadian 20" tires with about 3K miles on them.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've adjusted mine to 42f 40r. If I remember correctly, barely got the time to do an oil change at ~4k and haven't had time to rotate to see if the uneven wear continues or not

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Big Horn came with the Nexan Rodian's. Never had any experience with Nexan tires and I was a little hesitant about them at first but they actually aren't bad, defiantly better then the Goodyear Wranglers they used to come with. I keep them at 38 on the fronts and 36 on the rears. I'm at 16K and I haven't taken my tread gauge to them but they show very little wear, some very minor feathering on the fronts but I do a lot of hard corning.

MrCuervoRacing

Reaction score
1800 miles....... i noticed feathering wear RF tire, a bit squishy on low speed bumps and decal. checked the tire with gauge and on the display, some variation there, i grabbed another gauge to verify and it was the same result.
Bumped up to 44 psi (goodyear 20's) which is the max for the tire and had them rotated, dash shows 48 psi now.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
1800 miles....... i noticed feathering wear RF tire, a bit squishy on low speed bumps and decal. checked the tire with gauge and on the display, some variation there, i grabbed another gauge to verify and it was the same result.
Bumped up to 44 psi (goodyear 20's) which is the max for the tire and had them rotated, dash shows 48 psi now.
Interesting that the guages display is off, I never thought to check. If its like my outside thermometer accuracy (lack of) I’m in trouble...

ramhead

Reaction score

Hmm...excellent point...I've always checked my tires (never had TPMS on my old vehs) using a good gauge. I was just going by the display readout assuming it would be close to accurate - should know better since I'm not a big fan of everything being electronic/computerized. Gonna have to use the gauge now as a better gauge (lol) of the actual tire pressure. I have both analog & digital tire gauges of non cheapo quality so will check and report back any differences.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Hmm...excellent point...I've always checked my tires (never had TPMS on my old vehs) using a good gauge. I was just going by the display readout assuming it would be close to accurate - should know better since I'm not a big fan of everything being electronic/computerized. Gonna have to use the gauge now as a better gauge (lol) of the actual tire pressure. I have both analog & digital tire gauges of non cheapo quality so will check and report back any differences.
Sigh, that's another issue - the quality or lack thereof on the cheaper tire gauges. You mean to tell me that my freebie Discount Tire giveaway gauge isn't 100% accurate? (ha) I probably don't have a "good" one in any vehicle...:unsure:

Begin copied article portion (its a bit dated but still good to know info, draw your own conclusions).

All Tire-Pressure Gauges Are Accurate | Mythbusters
By Justin Fivella April 4, 2011

"...With the Motion Pro representing our baseline we rounded up five of the most common gauges and even paid a visit to several local gas stations to see where everything fell in line.

Keeping things as scientific as possible, the tire was refilled with air and reset at the given pressures before each new gauge was tested. For the sake of precision we sampled each gauge at both 40 and 30 psi. As for the gas-station gauges, we utilized three different locations and calculated an average.

Actual Air Pressure Measured40 psi30 psi
Motion Pro (91.99)4030
Road Gear Talking Gauge (24.99)4130.5
Victor Digital ($11.99)41.531
Slime Mechanical ($3.99)3929.5
Slime Stick ($2.99)4233
Gas Station ($.75 per hit)4835

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread