Odometer rollback

PeterUSA

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used 2016 RAM 3500 Limited dually at a dealer with 45000 miles. It came with an extra tank, air suspension and B & W gooseneck and fifth wheel package. The purpose of my purchase was to haul trailers across the country. Since purchasing, I exchanged all the fluids, engine, transmission, differentials, cooling, steering, etc and after riding some miles, the engine light came on. Checking my onboard computer, I realized that there is a function called trailer trip and it reads 176000 miles! I assume that the previous owner also hauled trailers across the country, because of the setup and only half the miles are trailer hauling, so now I have the doubt that the truck instead of having 45000 miles, it might have 8 to 10 times that much. I called an attorney and he said, that the fact that I bought it from a dealer, does not necessarily make the dealer responsible. I also called the dealer and he basically claims, that they did not roll back the miles, that the previous owner might have. Now I owe 40k to a bank and the truck might be worth 10k. I would love some constructive feedback. Thanks.

Grape_Ape

Reaction score
I'd be happy to run the VIN for you through clearvin if you'd like? May not help much but it's a start. I've got some left over credits I don't mind using.

WXman

Reaction score
How does one go about rolling back the odometer on a modern truck that keeps a digital record in the cluster AND onboard computers? You'd have to be really good at tuning to do this, and no tuning company is going to do it because of liability.

Grape_Ape

Reaction score
I did a quick Google search of this and it's actually seemed to happen to several Ram trucks over the past decade. One person reported taking it to the dealer and the dealer said all the mileage logs had been reset to zero in the computer.