5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oddity at slow speeds and reverse

FirstPU

Reaction score
Now, as my name indicates...this is my first every pick up truck, so I'm still kinda getting used to it. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong..lol.
Thus far I love the truck...born in October picked it up January 2.

When I get to work in the morning, I'll pull around so that I can back into a spot.
Put it in reverse...and it pretty much doesn't move.
Push the gas to give it a little, and it springs backward really fast.
Hit brakes to avoid hitting things.

Also seems to lose traction a lot easier than I would expect. It is raining here quite a bit and I have it in 4wheel high.

Thoughts?

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Now, as my name indicates...this is my first every pick up truck, so I'm still kinda getting used to it. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong..lol.
Thus far I love the truck...born in October picked it up January 2.

When I get to work in the morning, I'll pull around so that I can back into a spot.
Put it in reverse...and it pretty much doesn't move.
Push the gas to give it a little, and it springs backward really fast.
Hit brakes to avoid hitting things.

Also seems to lose traction a lot easier than I would expect. It is raining here quite a bit and I have it in 4wheel high.

Thoughts?
Im going to watch the replies to this before I chime in, see what others say, see how OP responds, then figure out if OP is messing with us.

So.... watching.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
4A, do not need 4high for rain. More likely to trash the 4wd making tight turns. I’m guessing you’ve heard popping from the drive line as you back in. Probably why it lurches. Use that for snow and mud, not rain.

GATORB8

Reaction score
You should drive in 2HI in normal situations. In 4 Hi your front axle and transfer cased are engaged, which causes binding when turning with no loss of traction. I assume that binding is what you’re experiencing.

FirstPU

Reaction score
Thank you for being gentle. lol.

I had it in 2w and coming off a stop light, it lost a lot of traction. Traction control is on...maybe I really do have a lead foot.

FirstPU

Reaction score
If the parking brake is on...the light is broken on the switch. I'll make sure that its off by activating and deactivating.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Trucks spin easier since they are heavy yet the back end is lighter than the front. Not sure how Rebels are equipped. Do you have the Anti-slip or e-locker differential? If no, your truck is one-wheel drive.

pber1

Reaction score
You’re gonna **** it up bro!!! Lol just teasing! Gonna have to slow down hitting turns it’s a lot easier to fish tail in a RWD truck than your average FWD car, especially in the rain!

FirstPU

Reaction score
Put it into 2WD and was better this morning. Not the parking brake since I now see that besides the little light on the level to activate/deactivate it, there is a big PARKING BRAKE thing on the dashboard.
As far as the Anti-slip or e-locker differential...I'll have to see if it was even offered on the Rebel. I pretty much took just about all the options and didn't see an option for that. Could be wrong.

Brady_SS

Reaction score
Since you have a Rebel, you don't have 4 Auto to assist with wet traction. I'd suggest being more gentle with the throttle. Pretty sure you have the e-locker (should be a button near the 4WD controls). You cold turn that on to assist with traction when you leave stop lights, it will turn off on its own though once you reach ~20 MPH in 2WD. The tires on your truck, assuming they are stock, are the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, good tires, but not the best for wet traction. Most all terrain tires I've owned have been lousy on wet pavement. As mentioned before, without something in the bed, your truck's weight is very front biased which hurts rear traction as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/