5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd question about a 33 gal tank on a 3.0 diesel ...

SaintlySins

Reaction score
I'm looking for a 33 gallon tank on a 3.0 diesel ... I've found one, but it doesn't have the other options I want. Upon talking with the Sales Mgr, he brought up something that I never thought about in regards to having a 33 gal tank and future petroleum prices ... yet I've experienced it years ago ... and here's the story:

Most Credit Card Programs on gas pumps don't pre-qualify your card over $100.00 and will shut off at the $100 mark ... regardless of how much credit you have on your card! So with a 33 Gal tank that's near empty, it won't get filled all the way at that pump. And he's RIGHT! This happened to me when gasoline was $5 bucks ++ a gallon and I filled three 5 gallon gas cans for the mower and other yard equipment, then went on to fill my gas tank ... when the pump hit $100 it shut off.

So ... maybe my desire for the 33 gallon tank should be reconsidered unless I'm always pumping at a Truck Stop with higher Pump Pre-Qualification values.

Whaddaya all think.

Thanks,

Gregory

Jim N

Reaction score
Knowing my credit card company they would flag it as fraud and block the second purchase.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Knowing my credit card company they would flag it as fraud and block the second purchase.

Yep I have that issue too. I need to use two different credit cards to fill up.

The range of the 33-gallon tank is worth the inconvenience to me

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It depends what you're buying the truck to do...If you take frequent long trips, towing on long trips or just want to be able to go longer without filling up...then it's worth it.
I'll use my hemi experience as an example with the 26 gal compared to 33.
So, I could get 18 mpg unloaded..that's 468 mile range. With my TT it would drop to around 9.5 on average, now I'm around 247 miles of range.
Compare that to the 33 gallon... those go up to 594 and 313 miles. I realize the EcoD does better but it's still the same concept.
Those are extra hours you can spend on the road and not stopped at a gas station..if that's important to you.

Double swiping is a pain but so is having to stop for fuel when you don't need a bathroom/snack/meal break. There are some gas stations that have higher limits and it won't click off on you.

IMO if you're towing then it is definitely worth it for the extra oh sh!t fuel when you can't find a station.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One way to look at it:
It's better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it.

If you get the 33-gallon tank, and can fill up 33 gallons, then great. If you can only put in 26 gallons (due to the credit card max), then you're no worse off than having a 26-gallon tank. But you still have the possibility of putting in 33 gallons when you can.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
I have the 3.0 with a 33 gallon tank and have never had an issue fillng it up. I usually run it down to 50 miles remaining and the truck will take 28-29 gallons (I think the tank has a 2 gallon reserve when showing empty). Here in Louisiana diesel is under $3 a gallon, so hitting the $100 limit is never a problem.

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies ... and they're in line with my thinking.

I can't find a black, 3.0, 33 gal, Limited, midnight, with MFT and RAMbox in Northern Midwest.

Guess I've got to expand my area, or change Zip Codes to new areas. Someone's got to have one.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies ... and they're in line with my thinking.

I can't find a black, 3.0, 33 gal, Limited, midnight, with MFT and RAMbox in Northern Midwest.

Guess I've got to expand my area, or change Zip Codes to new areas. Someone's got to have one.
There are a couple of them in Alabama and Georgia. Try setting your zip code to 35057.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you give the Credit card to the Attendant inside, they
can put it in for any amount and you can fill up. When
I get the AUX fuel tank installed, I will need to do this to
do a full fill up because it will be in the $300 range.

Malodave

SaintlySins

Reaction score
There are a couple of them in Alabama and Georgia. Try setting your zip code to 35057.
Can not thank you enough for this. I had been looking in areas where I knew people and could make it a fly/buy/hang-with-a-friend kind of trip. I have a friend in Nashville I've been meaning to see ... so if we agree to price and the like, this is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thank you again!

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Exactly.
Might even go as far as to put a freeze on the Card till they figure out what's going on. It's not even a person, it's an computer driven algorithm that gets triggered and you'll wait to hear from a representative. (insert "eye-roll-emoji" here)

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online