5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Octane Question

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a fan of QT (good prices, Top Tier). I put very few miles on my vehicles and typically put in 93 octane (for stability rather than performance, although two of our vehicles are tuned for the higher octane).

syddog 2000

Reaction score
Costco premium here. I like the top tier, and it is recommended in the owners manual. However they also say any gas will do. I guess its personal preference. I do get better gas milage and a little more pop with the premium.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Costco premium here. I like the top tier, and it is recommended in the owners manual. However they also say any gas will do. I guess its personal preference. I do get better gas milage and a little more pop with the premium.

Just to clarify this for others, but Top Tier is what is recommended, not premium. 89 is recommended, with 87 being acceptable for the 5.7 per page 553 of the online manual. But still interesting that you note more pop with the premium. I might do a gas station crawl in search of manually finding a station with 89 and no ethanol. :)

Bwarren2

Reaction score
So probably a topic that has been covered plenty of times before but I wanted to get opinions on this.

For the 5.7 Hemi it seems like the recommended octane is 89. Most people say they use 87 with no issues and would only put in better fuel if they are going to tow.

Along the same lines I’ve seen that while using 87 octane is fine but it’s most important to get brand name gas. Do most agreement with this statement? So get your gas from like a Shell, BP, Exon, etc. While avoiding getting gas from like a Sheetz, WaWa, or 7-11 etc etc.

Long question but just looking for some input.

All gas comes from the sam pipeline, so name brand gas is a fallacy IMO

syddog 2000

Reaction score
I use non ethanol for all yard equipment and swear by it. never thought of using it in my truck. I use instead of additives as it prolongs the life of the gas and saves on carb. problems.
All I can find here where I live is 91 also.

MopaRAMan

Reaction score
Just to clarify this for others, but Top Tier is what is recommended, not premium. 89 is recommended, with 87 being acceptable for the 5.7 per page 553 of the online manual. But still interesting that you note more pop with the premium. I might do a gas station crawl in search of manually finding a station with 89 and no ethanol. :)
If you drive your truck frequently and don’t allow gas to sit in the tank for more than a few weeks, ethanol fuel would be okay. Ethanol is a very good cleaner. If you use non ethanol gas, fuel cleaning additives are more important and I would say required. The base of most fuel is generally the same in that distribution area. The only difference is the additives that are added per brand when loaded in the tanker. This is per my grandfather that worked at a Total oil refinery his entire life.

I recommend trying a few different brands and compare fuel economy. I would also add Lucas oil fuel treatment at least every few tanks for lubrication of the fuel pump and injectors.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks @Bwarren2 , I looked up your claim to confirm since I was wondering the same thing. Was surprised to see, as stated by the US Energy Information Administration at EIA.gov: “The only difference between gasoline at one company's fueling stations and gasoline sold by another company is the small amount of additives that some companies blend into the gasoline after it leaves the pipeline and before it gets to their fueling stations.”
https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/index.php?page=gasoline_where
I still like fresh gas though, so I look for the cheapest busy station.

On lower octane knocking, from Road and Track: “But advanced electronics can adjust the timing and work around it in the form of knock sensors, which can detect small vibrations in the block and adjust settings to lessen potential damage.” Not sure if I want my engine to have to work around the fuel, but perhaps less harmful than it used to be.

And finally on using higher octane than recommended: “What AAA found out was that premium gasoline in a car designed for regular didn't produce better fuel economy, reduce pollution, or make your car go faster—in short, all it did was take a bit more of your money.”

Lettika

Reaction score
I tend to lean towards buying gas at a Wal-mart or any busy gas station. My thought is that if the station is busy the gas isn't sitting in the under ground tanks long and is as "fresh" as possible. The only contaminated (water) gas that I have ever run into is a small station that probably sold off of the same tank for weeks or months before needing to call the tanker back in.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you drive your truck frequently and don’t allow gas to sit in the tank for more than a few weeks, ethanol fuel would be okay. Ethanol is a very good cleaner. If you use non ethanol gas, fuel cleaning additives are more important and I would say required. The base of most fuel is generally the same in that distribution area. The only difference is the additives that are added per brand when loaded in the tanker. This is per my grandfather that worked at a Total oil refinery his entire life.

I recommend trying a few different brands and compare fuel economy. I would also add Lucas oil fuel treatment at least every few tanks for lubrication of the fuel pump and injectors.

I know ethanol has many different opinions and I live in the ethanol capitol of the U.S. It is even heavily subsidized here so it ends up being cheaper. It is also why it is harder to find pumps without it. From past experience the math simply doesn't work out for me from a mpg standpoint. Also, I don't drive frequently. Probably put around 8K miles per year on max. Currently fill up about once per 3-4 weeks. Another reason to avoid it sitting in my tank. I do use Lucas though occasionally.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truth. In my area the delivery trucks fill-up in Memphis at the same distro. An automated system adds the additive packages that make it "better" but the base petro is the same. The real benefit for top tier fuel is the quality and maintenance of the station's tanks. Nobody likes a dose of water or crud in their truck's tank.

Last edited:

Dkwatts1522

Reaction score
I live in WV on the KY & OH border. There is Marathon’s 2nd largest refinery 15 miles from my house. Pretty much all gasoline in my araa comes from that refinery. Only difference is the additive/detergent packages for each brand. I tend to fill up at Kroger because of the fuel points. Last truck I had I drove 242,000 miles and never had an issue with the fuel system (original fuel pump). Only thing I make sure to do is add Chevron Techron Fuel System additive about every 5000 miles. Also try no to fill up when the tanker is filling the tanks.

Dgulia

Reaction score
I put Costco gas and it's 87 octane.
I put premium Costco gas in my motorcycles and never had an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread