5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OBD2 Connectors for AlphaOBD

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a couple questions about OBD connectors that work with AlphaOBD. I already have a couple, but they are older devices, so the current list doesn't make mention of them.

I have a bbfly bluetooth Diagnostic interface that has a switch for MS-CAN and HS-CAN. I bought this in 2018 for my F150 and the Forscan app.
OIP.Nd9g-EeWxWI0c6aYwlSItAHaGR

I also have a Vgate Scan adaptor. I think I had this one for my Silverado, so it's even older yet.
Vehicle-Diagnostic-Tool-OBD2-OBD-II-Vgate-ELM327-Bluetooth-OBD-Scanner-Diagnostic-Scanner-Work-With-OBD2.jpg_640x640.jpg

Lastly, I have an OBDeleven device that works on VWs and Audi. This module is for newer cars and works on my wife's '22 Audi.

Do I need to purchase a new OBD adaptor and the bypass cable, or just the bypass cable? Thanks for any assistance.

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Your truck will require at a minimum a bypass cable. I have one of the approx. $20.00 cables from Amazon and there is another choice that costs a bit more but attaches differently. MY cable you have to practice what I call, "truck yoga," to get plugged in, but it is doable. But it then will disable the factory OBD port that is under the dash, you must use the OBD port on the end of the bypass cable. The other type/brand bypass cable per the other user's posts, state: that it can remain in place all the time aka the OBD port remains fully functional. I do not remember the name/brand of the other cable. The cable, that I have must be removed before taking the truck to the dealer/repair shop to restore the OBD port to its proper functionality.

Your code reader(s) may or may not work. You could get the bypass cable and install, and try them out to see what works. I have AlphOBD software and for the cost of $50.00 it was worth it for me to buy) Note: that the software only works on Android devices (phones/tablets) and there is also a Windows version, it requires a special cable/interface.

For my use, I purchase the OBD Mx+ code reader scanner as it will read all the modules that you will need to modify. In my use, I have been successful in all of my efforts. This can be expensive, I bought my equipment during "Black Friday," sales. so my costs were reduced. I also view these items as tools, and I learned from my grandfather years ago, "By the best tools you can afford vs. cheap/inferior tools.) I have saved the costs for the equipment to make changes and install upgrades myself vs. trips to a dealer to install and program changes. IHMO, I have saved time and money and the equipment/tools have paid for themselves. You will have to make your own choices based on your situation.

One last recommendation is to read all the AlphOBD forum messages and watch numerous YouTube videos to help in making your decisions and making your choices on equipment purchases. The message bases also, are great places to ask your questions to further learn. I have spent hours watching videos and reading darn near all the various message bases on the subject of AlphOBD before buying and programming changes to my truck. Warning: this system, is very powerful and you do have the power to create problems, learn to make backups and verify that you can restore the system from your stored backups before making any changes and make only 1 change at a time.

BlueHemi1500

Users who are viewing this thread