5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OBD II Port just pops out.

Vaughn

Reaction score
Hi all,

Having issues installing my Banks Pedal Monster. It connects to the OBD II port for power. However when I went to connect it the port just popped out of its holder. It looks like its got some really cheap flimsy tabs to hold it in place at the front and back. I can pop the front clip back in, but the back clip closest to the driver just wont seat.

Anybody else had this issue and what can be done about it?

I really cant believe how cheap this is.

TIA

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look up above it. Might be that isn't the factory OBD, but an aftermarket GPS tracker.

My truck came with an Apex tracker, and that's what I discovered, that the obd plug wasn't a great fit. PXL_20210319_214228728.jpg

19 North

Reaction score
Look up above it. Might be that isn't the factory OBD, but an aftermarket GPS tracker.

My truck came with an Apex tracker, and that's what I discovered, that the obd plug wasn't a great fit. View attachment 86255
I wonder if that’s SOP for the dealer you purchased from or if the finance company asked to have it installed?
I’ll have to take a look at mine now.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder if that’s SOP for the dealer you purchased from or if the finance company asked to have it installed?
I’ll have to take a look at mine now.
it's SOP for many dealers in my AO. They use it for inventory control, then try to sell it to the end user as a non-negotiable dealer add-on service. We fought and fought until they wrote it off, then as soon as I got home I started scouring the 'net to find out where it was installed.
They pull the factory connector from the dash bracket, and install the umbilical between the factory plug and the dash bracket. This is how it powers the unit and the SIM card in the unit then reports back all of your driving data and GPS info.

Vaughn

Reaction score
Interesting I'll have to look. I did see something like the box pictured... up under there.

U

User_3336

Mine has a MOPAR EVTS. Dealer was trying to upsell it, but I flat out said NO. Its still there. I found a blue blinking led back underneath the steering wheel.

QUESTIONS IS > > > Where the &&&& is the original OBD2 connector? Looks like they have some kind of dongle that plugs into the original one, and then there is a pigtail where another device can connect.

So, where was the ORIGINAL OBD2 connector located to begin with.

One user said it was up underneath the hood latch release and just loose.

I did find the OBD2 connector, but its in some kind of bracket, possibly the end of the dongle.

I didn't want this device, but its still in my truck. draining power from my obd2 port.

I'll have to look closer when I can get in better and there is more light.

Users who are viewing this thread