5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Numerous "service required" messages appeared after battery went dead. Any ideas?

Jmorrison

Reaction score
I recently left a door open overnight, in the garage, and the battery was dead the next morning. I jumped it and it started right up but now I have all kinds of "service required codes". Lane assist, Air suspension, a check engine light and possibly others. is this normal? Am I going to have to deal with the dealer to get something reset? 2019 1500 limited with 8K miles.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently left a door open overnight, in the garage, and the battery was dead the next morning. I jumped it and it started right up but now I have all kinds of "service required codes". Lane assist, Air suspension, a check engine light and possibly others. is this normal? Am I going to have to deal with the dealer to get something reset? 2019 1500 limited with 8K miles.

How exactly did you jump it off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmorrison

Reaction score
with a charger. ground to ground and red to tab on battery terminal

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems that the lights should have reset and turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
May take a couple of starts for it all to regain it's mind and reset all the codes

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes, these newer vehicles don’t do well with dead battery restarts. At least you “know” how yours failed, as opposed to the parasitic drain or other component failures that are killing batteries on others.

This post taken from the ramforumz.com site:
greg4ram1500
Joined Aug 31, 2014
143 Posts
#3 Mar 21, 2015
‘The 2013 Ford F150's had this issue, and to my knowledge, no solution yet.

Battery Saver Issue continually displays on screen after cutting truck off. Some people expereinced their truck not starting after a few cycles.

Ford blamed it on some strange "parasitic drain" on the battery, like the driver information center cluster staying on too long or mysteriously coming on when the truck was off, and key wasn't in iginition. A big mess. Its one of the reason's I got rid of my F150.”
End of copied post

Still, I’d have thought that interior lights would go off after 10 or so minutes as a battery saver... guess not!

Jmorrison

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. Yes it does seem that the lights used to go off after a few minutes but I did notice the bed lights seemed to be staying on a long time for no reason the other day. It now tells me the electronic stability control and 4 wheel drive are also no longer available! I guess I need to head to the dealership while it still starts!

Boston

Reaction score
Electronics hate the spikes caused by jumps.

One of the best things you can do is either get a battery maintainer type charger or if you jump it, connect both cables directly to the battery. I no longer jump from another car if I can avoid it.
If I can’t avoid it, connect the two cars together and rev the good car to 2000 for three to five minutes so there is a good charge built up in the dead battery before you try restart the dead car

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Electronics hate the spikes caused by jumps.

One of the best things you can do is either get a battery maintainer type charger or if you jump it, connect both cables directly to the battery. I no longer jump from another car if I can avoid it.
If I can’t avoid it, connect the two cars together and rev the good car to 2000 for three to five minutes so there is a good charge built up in the dead battery before you try restart the dead car
Good advice there...

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I suspect you could have a defective battery judging from the symptoms.

Try this:

If you have a good test meter, measure the battery terminal voltage with the engine OFF and record the voltage.

Disconnect the positive AND negative cables from the battery.

Using a jumper lead or bare copper wire, short the terminal ends of the cables by tying both of the disconnected battery cables together.

Wait 30-40 minutes.

Remove the shorting wire from the battery cables and reconnect both cables to the battery.

Wait one minute and start the engine.

Do the messages go away?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 033149 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread