5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nothing but a nightmare

Greeks

Reaction score
Hi all,

At end of August I purchased a 2019 Ram Big Horn. I’ve had nothing but problems since the first day I got it .
1) The very first day my CarPlay would not work. I spent hours on the phone with Uconnect.
They had me try several different things but nothing worked. After driving the vehicle for another 7 days , the car play just started working on its own.
2) On October 24th the back up camera stopped working.
3) On 11/17/18 taken to dealer. After sitting in waiting room for 4 hours they told me that the back up camera had to be replaced and they didn’t have one in stock.
4) 11/27/18- Taken to dealer , camera was replaced , but still not working . Dealer said the radio had to be replaced and the had to order one. Had to sit another 4 hours in waiting room.
5) 12/17/18 - taken to dealer and radio was replaced . Camera still NOT working. Dealer states the main cable needs to be replaced and of course they didn’t have one. When I picked tbe truck up I immediately noticed that the mechanic got oil and grease on my sun visor and headliner! I immediately notified the service advisor. He said they will try and clean it next time I bring the truck in . To top it all off when I tried to use my Sirius xm ( year free came with purchase of truck ) it was unavailable because they switched out the radio. SiriusXM said I can’t transfer the free subscription. I called and left 2 messages for service advisor to call me back and he never did .
Im beyond frustrated with this truck and dealership. Has anyone had similar problems ????

Ramlax

Reaction score
Where are you located? Maybe find yourself another service center. Sounds like your dealer plays to many games. Good luck

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Hi Greeks,

I have experienced similar "runaround" situations but not your EXACT. For getting the runaround, there are a few steps you can take. For one, your salesman AND sales manager and IF necessary the GM should be hounded AS WELL.

The different radio subscription can ONLY be activated BY THE DEALER, and they may tell you different but if they do, an "in person" visit might be necessary. UNTIL they assign the new EIN # of your NEW radio to your specific vehicle, Sirius can't do anything. (They are pretty useless for MOST things, (except extending an already existing subscription and refreshing your signal) as i'm sure you've already discovered.

I have had a couple of different vehicles with "Car Play" and Sirius's implementation of it is NOT the best, but for the most part it does work MOST of the time, so eventually i am sure the dealer will get it right.

Backup camera modules are hit or miss in terms of "some vehicles never have issues, some freeze, blue screen etc" so i am sure if they switch it out enough, you'll eventually get a good one, as but not ALL are lemons. I'm guessing its a 4C WITHOUT Nav? The ones without NAV don't appear to be built as well, but even some of those fail...

As for the headliner, if they do NOT get that cleaned to the point of "new" then you should also DEMAND a new one, they are pretty easily replaced if necessary.

Some of the frustrations in your post are from you "giving them rope to hang themselves and they DID" so now it is time for more agressive action on your part, no more phonecalls...i would DEFINITELY either take it for service at another RAM dealer where they HAVE to address your issues, even if they are not the SELLING dealer. If that is NOT an option, i would "plant myself at that dealer and very nicely but firmly tell them this is "unacceptable" and you want reasonable timetable for all this to be fixed and you want a LOANER until it is." Tell them you've d*cked around with them long enough and NOW want some serious results"....

I can only imagine how much this how soured your experience on owning your 2019 RAM but try NOT to let it. From what you have described it isn't the actually truck itself that is such a disappointment, just a few electrical components.

Good Luck, hope i talked ya down off the ledge a bit : )

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hate that you are having problems, and it can be frustrating to get resolved but to say you are BEYOND frustrated seems a little over the top because your backup camera isn't working. Did you really expect every dealership in the country to stock a camera module for a 2019 RAM, or a radio or even the main cable? The folks working on your truck follow diagnostic sheets and/or call tech line at RAM for guidance. This is a process of elimination. Stuff happens, they produce thousands of these every single day. A nightmare to me is like Freddy Kruger trying to chase me and kill me not that my backup camera or XM radio is temporarily not working. Take a breath, find a good dealer and have some patience. BTW as far as the grease stains, yes that would not make me happy and I would ensure it was correct.

Dgulia

Reaction score
Since I updated the IOS software to the latest version my Apple Car Play is also a hit and miss. I think next Uconnect update will fix it.
Hope dealer resolves other issues for you.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
... A nightmare to me is like Freddy Kruger trying to chase me and kill me not that my backup camera or XM radio is temporarily not working. .

So so true Sticker, and although its hard to gain perspective when ANY company/retailer "starts avoiding you, giving you false deadlines and just generally shows a complete lack of empathy for your plight", but the sad truth is, here we are in 2019 where approx 95 of companies out there NOW operate that way, so we all prolly need to expect it & prepare for a life of "banging our head against wall" going forward, because today, there are only a handful of companies out there willing to offer support from "cradle to grave" for their products : ( :(

I heard a few years ago that Google can/will and does just "shut you down, hold all your electronic data hostage" if THEY suspect the smallest infringement of their TOS, and there isn't one thing you can do about it, no one to contact, Amazon does as well, u are so right, there are even bigger nightmares out there for all of us to have and Freddy isn't in any of them : )

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never deal with your service advisor when there is damage done to your vehicle during repairs, do not leave until the SERVICE MANAGER documents, assess the damage then arranges for the remediation of the damage at your earliest convenience. Your advisor is trained to jerk you off until you leave and will possibly deny any damage on the previous visit.
Stains on an interior are a serious non-compliance at a dealer and the manager has a process to determine how and why it happened. A harsh learning experience.

Hope they fix everything for you.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all,

At end of August I purchased a 2019 Ram Big Horn. I’ve had nothing but problems since the first day I got it .
1) The very first day my CarPlay would not work. I spent hours on the phone with Uconnect.
They had me try several different things but nothing worked. After driving the vehicle for another 7 days , the car play just started working on its own.
2) On October 24th the back up camera stopped working.
3) On 11/17/18 taken to dealer. After sitting in waiting room for 4 hours they told me that the back up camera had to be replaced and they didn’t have one in stock.
4) 11/27/18- Taken to dealer , camera was replaced , but still not working . Dealer said the radio had to be replaced and the had to order one. Had to sit another 4 hours in waiting room.
5) 12/17/18 - taken to dealer and radio was replaced . Camera still NOT working. Dealer states the main cable needs to be replaced and of course they didn’t have one. When I picked tbe truck up I immediately noticed that the mechanic got oil and grease on my sun visor and headliner! I immediately notified the service advisor. He said they will try and clean it next time I bring the truck in . To top it all off when I tried to use my Sirius xm ( year free came with purchase of truck ) it was unavailable because they switched out the radio. SiriusXM said I can’t transfer the free subscription. I called and left 2 messages for service advisor to call me back and he never did .
Im beyond frustrated with this truck and dealership. Has anyone had similar problems ????
Sorry to hear. My truck has been an endless nightmare of issues too. Fortunately, it's not my everyday driver and my dealership is fantastic. This makes things a bit more tolerable for sure. I'm certainly not happy about all the issues for the amount of money spent and the fact that I've owned 15+ new vehicles in my day basically issue free but it is what it is and you cant let it get to you. Find a new dealership and contact FCA. I hope things get better for you and I feel your pain. When the truck is working right it is a nice vehicle.

Chill72

Reaction score
While your situation is ****ty, it seems like you are having problems with a trash dealership. Your truck has one problem which it seems have been made worse by your dealer. Hardly a nightmare.

Tmcb

Reaction score
I really like my truck and have had people stop me in parking lots to check it out. However, as nice as it is, mine has been in the shop five separate times. I have owned it since August. Needless to say, as nice as it looks and how much I like the concept, five times is not right. Currently, my rear brakes squeel so loud that even when you have the music so loud, you hear them. STAR case issued but dealer says hands are tied to what STAR tells them. A service bulletin is out on front brakes but not rear. Just tired of it. Thought about trading it in for another but I cannot get the same truck at the price I paid for this. Not to mention what dealers have been willing to give me for it.

zman9119

Reaction score
I love mine, but agree. Doesn't help the dealership I am (will be was as of Monday) dealing with are inept.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I really like my truck and have had people stop me in parking lots to check it out. However, as nice as it is, mine has been in the shop five separate times. I have owned it since August. Needless to say, as nice as it looks and how much I like the concept, five times is not right. Currently, my rear brakes squeel so loud that even when you have the music so loud, you hear them. STAR case issued but dealer says hands are tied to what STAR tells them. A service bulletin is out on front brakes but not rear. Just tired of it. Thought about trading it in for another but I cannot get the same truck at the price I paid for this. Not to mention what dealers have been willing to give me for it.
How much less from OTD price are they offering, percentage wise is fine, if you dont want to lay out actual numbers.

Tmcb

Reaction score
How much less from OTD price are they offering, percentage wise is fine, if you dont want to lay out actual numbers.
42K for a truck with 8k miles. Paid 57k Sticker was 67k

upstateram

Reaction score
Find an attorney in your area who is experienced with "lemon laws" -- you might qualify.

Alternatively, selling it private party would likely get you much more of your money back than what a dealer would give you (they're looking to re-sell it for a profit, obviously). Clean it up nicely, take some good photos, and put it on Craigslist or Autotrader. I recently sold my old truck this way and got 48% more than Carmax offered me.

Users who are viewing this thread