5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nothing but a click on start...

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
going through this as of today went to go to work this morn nothing but a click, lights and dash all up, took wife's car to work when I got home threw it on the battery charger on for 15min truck startrd right up let run for 5
min, took battery out figuring it was the battery even though i just replaced it w a napa legend in Decemeber, went to napa w it in wifes suv, guy threw
it on the charger said its fully charged I said yea that's bc i had a charger on it for 15 min & and ran my truck, guy says its fully charged cant prorate
you a new one sir, ok i took batt back home re-installed it took all of 10min and truck strartd up fine, let run for 15 at 5pm just went out to start her up to move to my 2nd driveway, nothing but a click...im lost..im betting its the starter, 2019 bighorn CC 5.7
Non-Etrqe 61k, time to puuuuuke, im thinking starter which i will do myself but come-on Ram I didnt spent 58k for this..anyone else......chime in please

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
worked fine all day yesterdy, went to start her up for this morn, nothing but a click sounds like the starter, the clicking is coming from right behind the drivers side front tire, where i think the starter is.. :eek:(

RedFred

Reaction score
worked fine all day yesterdy, went to start her up for this morn, nothing but a click sounds like the starter, the clicking is coming from right behind the drivers side front tire, where i think the starter is.. :eek:(
Clicking noise could also be caused by a weak battery. I wouldn't be so quick to change the starter. Honestly, I keep my cars and trucks a long time and have never replaced a starter on any vehicle. I would start with a new battery. If a battery lost its charge, there is a good chance that it is damaged if the charge dropped below a certain point. If that's the case, it will never perform like new again and will have difficulty holding a charge. Imo, start with the simplest solutions first and work your way up.

2020GCM

Reaction score
I had something similar where intermittently, I would press start and all the dash would light up normal as if it was running. I also changed the battery as a knee-jerk reaction but the no-start still happened intermittently. Took it to the dealer and they found the wiring to the starter solenoid was loose/defective and apparently a known issue.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
going through this as of today went to go to work this morn nothing but a click, lights and dash all up, took wife's car to work when I got home threw it on the battery charger on for 15min truck startrd right up let run for 5
min, took battery out figuring it was the battery even though i just replaced it w a napa legend in Decemeber, went to napa w it in wifes suv, guy threw
it on the charger said its fully charged I said yea that's bc i had a charger on it for 15 min & and ran my truck, guy says its fully charged cant prorate
you a new one sir, ok i took batt back home re-installed it took all of 10min and truck strartd up fine, let run for 15 at 5pm just went out to start her up to move to my 2nd driveway, nothing but a click...im lost..im betting its the starter, 2019 bighorn CC 5.7
Non-Etrqe 61k, time to puuuuuke, im thinking starter which i will do myself but come-on Ram I didnt spent 58k for this..anyone else......chime in please
Guy from NAPA needed to run a load test on the battery, and not just check charge level. Saying it's fully charged isn't a good indicator for if the battery is actually good or not

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thank you to all..appreciate it..ill take the battery out for the 2nd time and run it down to Napa..stay tuned..ps any of you ever see the water that sits stable in the bottom of the battery tray? i have 1/2" of water at the bottom of mine, nowhere
for rain water to run out.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thank you to all..appreciate it..ill take the battery out for the 2nd time and run it down to Napa..stay tuned..ps any of you ever see the water that sits stable in the bottom of the battery tray? i have 1/2" of water at the bottom of mine, nowhere
You had to pay 65k for the drain option...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There should be a drain hole in battery tray. I've never seen water standing in it, even after washing under the hood

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
it wouldnt been seen unless you take the whole battery out i didnt see it either until removing the battery, cbty2050 appreciate that comment..

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yea sir, small shop a 1/2mile from the house Father and son operation, not a bad price for
OEM Mopar one, luckily my
mother in-law let me
borrow her car for 4 days shop took a little long but at least i had her car for work..and $434 otd cant
complain..guy acutally
said his supplier is seeing an uptick in starters being put out the door for 5th gen rams..

Last edited:

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Sounds like I'm in a similar situation. Replaced the battery 3 months ago with a good agm one. Drove to work fine today, went to start it up and come home, got a single click sound but wouldn't turn over. All electronics work. Waiting for the tow truck to drop it off home so I can mess with it in the morning. 57k miles.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like I'm in a similar situation. Replaced the battery 3 months ago with a good agm one. Drove to work fine today, went to start it up and come home, got a single click sound but wouldn't turn over. All electronics work. Waiting for the tow truck to drop it off home so I can mess with it in the morning. 57k miles.
yup forsure..

Users who are viewing this thread