5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not thrilled with detailing by the dealer

WreckerRC

Reaction score
Ill let these pics tell the story. I have had my truck less than 72 hrs. Im less than happy wih the detail service on her.

I plan on giving the dealer 48 more hours to rectify it, or I am putting them on blast.

Yes thats a mud wasp nest... (dead now but still they didnt even open the hood).

Attachments

• 20200609_160243.jpg
    20200609_160243.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 191
  • 20200609_160244.jpg
    20200609_160244.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 191
  • 20200609_160259.jpg
    20200609_160259.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 189
  • 20200609_160312.jpg
    20200609_160312.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 185

sparkygreen

Reaction score
You should work towards getting an additional discount based on the condition of the "new" truck and then take it somewhere on your own to be detailed. I can't say every dealer detail shop sucks, but im betting its in the high 80-90% range that just do the bare minimum. They typically hire unskilled kids that work for cheap and do not care about doing a good job.

I learned a huge lesson and got very lucky when I bought my truck last year. Bought a truck, signed the papers on a Friday evening, but it had been sitting in a satellite lot somewhere and was pretty filthy. They practically begged me to take it over the weekend and just bring it back to get cleaned up later. They told me how awesome their detail shop was and how it would be better than perfect, blah blah blah. I told them no way, paid a deposit on my credit card and I would be back Monday to pick it up.

I come to get it on Monday, it had tons of swirl marks, some significant scratches, tree sap residue, residual grass/brush stuck under the bumpers, etc, etc. They took it back to their detail shop where there was a kid ( looked 18 if he was a day) that basically told the manager it was a busy day and they did the best they could do.

Luckily, I never took delivery so the contract was not complete. I backed out, they eventually told me they would refund my deposit but they never did so I eventually had to contest it with my credit card company and got 100% refunded. Had I have drove the truck off the lot or paid a cash deposit, I would have been totally stuck.

Went to another dealer and was able to buy a truck that was literally just getting unloaded from the transport trailer and had not been sitting around for months. Got a better deal, more for my trade and the truck was pristine.

Sometimes you get lucky and things work out. If you havent taken delivery you should be in the driver's seat regarding how they handle the issue. If you have already taken delivery you are likely at their mercy and will have to either work with them or take it somewhere on your own and pay out of pocket.

Good luck!

WreckerRC

Reaction score
You should work towards getting an additional discount based on the condition of the "new" truck and then take it somewhere on your own to be detailed. I can't say every dealer detail shop sucks, but im betting its in the high 80-90% range that just do the bare minimum. They typically hire unskilled kids that work for cheap and do not care about doing a good job.

I learned a huge lesson and got very lucky when I bought my truck last year. Bought a truck, signed the papers on a Friday evening, but it had been sitting in a satellite lot somewhere and was pretty filthy. They practically begged me to take it over the weekend and just bring it back to get cleaned up later. They told me how awesome their detail shop was and how it would be better than perfect, blah blah blah. I told them no way, paid a deposit on my credit card and I would be back Monday to pick it up.

I come to get it on Monday, it had tons of swirl marks, some significant scratches, tree sap residue, residual grass/brush stuck under the bumpers, etc, etc. They took it back to their detail shop where there was a kid ( looked 18 if he was a day) that basically told the manager it was a busy day and they did the best they could do.

Luckily, I never took delivery so the contract was not complete. I backed out, they eventually told me they would refund my deposit but they never did so I eventually had to contest it with my credit card company and got 100% refunded. Had I have drove the truck off the lot or paid a cash deposit, I would have been totally stuck.

Went to another dealer and was able to buy a truck that was literally just getting unloaded from the transport trailer and had not been sitting around for months. Got a better deal, more for my trade and the truck was pristine.

Sometimes you get lucky and things work out. If you havent taken delivery you should be in the driver's seat regarding how they handle the issue. If you have already taken delivery you are likely at their mercy and will have to either work with them or take it somewhere on your own and pay out of pocket.

Good luck!

In college I was a lot attendant for the local Crysler Jeep dealer. This was plain laziness.

WreckerRC

Reaction score
I took delivery.

That said the power of social media is huge. I want to give them the benifit of the doubt. I called yesterday.

I plan on emailing the finance advisor, my sales rep, and the sales manager this am. They have done right with service to my fathers 2017 6.7.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yeah that stinks. I never ever let the dealer wash or clean my truck when I drop it off for service. My service advisor knows this and is totally cool with it.

jeffauclair

Reaction score
That is not acceptable. I went to the dealer last week for another of many issue my truck got, and I am the type of guy that you can eat on the floor. When I took my truck back, there was footprint everywhere on the floor door plastic trim and dirt on my steering wheel from dirty hands. And they also change my mirror setting and seat setting, which I don't understand why a technician would need to make himself at ''ease'' to drive the truck from the parking lot the garage bay, which is 20 meters.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Took them 3 hours to "detail" my new truck. By that I mean it sat for 2.5 hours, and they jumped in it and did a quick clean for 30 minutes when I told them I couldn't wait any longer. Still dirt in spots, pollen in spots, windows weren't cleaned. To me, it wasn't even close to worth it time-wise trying to get them to "make it right". I'd rather just take it home and detail it myself over a couple hours rather than spend time driving to and from the dealer, waiting on them to do it right, and hoping they do it right.

More and more I avoid the dealer for even the slightest things if I can help it.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd be irritated, but it would take me less than 10 minutes with a shop-vac to clean that up. I definitely don't want people messing around with my truck if not absolutely necessary. In fact, when I do have to have my vehicles serviced, I always specifically tell them NOT to wash or detail it as I don't want to deal with grease on the seats or headliner, scratches in the paint due to careless brush washing etc. I think a free oil change and an apology would be more than fair in this case.

thrillracing

Reaction score
I wouldn’t want them to correct the issue unless it was money or an off-site retailer. You already know the level of effort or skill they will use to clean it again.

I agree with the fight but it might just be better to do it yourself and never use that dealer again.

Ordered while the sh*t was hitting the fan..Hydro-Blue Laramie Group 2, Air-suspension, Off-road, Sport, Uconnect 12, power running boards, dual panel moonroof.

PwrdbyM

Reaction score
I find it comical when people use the word detail and dealership in the same sentence. They like to use that term but all you're getting is a quick car wash, vac and wipe down with the same rag that's touched every other vehicle that day. When I bought my truck I specifically told them not to touch it at all. They were confused that I'd take delivery of a dirty truck but I knew the swirl marks that would result. I'd say you need to lower your expectations over this matter and take care of it yourself or at a reputable detail shop-no way I'd let any dealer attempt to clean any of my vehicles.

WreckerRC

Reaction score
Quick update. They squared it away. The engine bay and rest of the vehicle has been detailed well.

Attachments

• 20200610_144222.jpg
    20200610_144222.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 39

WreckerRC

Reaction score
I find it comical when people use the word detail and dealership in the same sentence. They like to use that term but all you're getting is a quick car wash, vac and wipe down with the same rag that's touched every other vehicle that day. When I bought my truck I specifically told them not to touch it at all. They were confused that I'd take delivery of a dirty truck but I knew the swirl marks that would result. I'd say you need to lower your expectations over this matter and take care of it yourself or at a reputable detail shop-no way I'd let any dealer attempt to clean any of my vehicles.

I was a lot attendant, and the vehicles that came by were squared away.

U

User_3336

I never ever request a "cleanup" of a brand new vehicle at ANY dealer!!

Its my brand new rig, you ain't scratching it all up before I even get it home! LOL

Yeah that stinks. I never ever let the dealer wash or clean my truck when I drop it off for service. My service advisor knows this and is totally cool with it.

TulsaRam

Reaction score
I bought a Delmonico Red 1500 last year. When I went to test drive it, my salesman ran it over to the car wash next door and rinsed it off in a bay so it would not scratch the paint. It wasn't perfect, but he did not want me to test drive a dirty truck. He did this on his own. I purchased that truck and took it straight to my detailer who made it shine!

U

User_3336

nothing like a dealer creating thousands of swirl marks using cheap shop towels on a BLACK truck!!

U

User_3336

That is true!!! and hides swirl marks better.

A Night Edition in silver with black trim would have looked slick as well!

But sometimes you just have to take what's on the dealer's lot at the time.

i went silver. Hides grime better

Users who are viewing this thread