5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not great at towing

Moonlightboater

Reaction score
Went and picked up my Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Forest pulling my Aluma 77x10’ trailer. It was slightly hilly in Mississippi, but was shocked at low fuel economy even at 65 mph. Also shocked at how much it down shifted to maintain the 65 mph and this was only towing 2100/lbs.
The fuel economy was also terrible at 11 mpg, I have the 3.92 rear axle ratio.
So now I am wondering what would it be like towing my 20’ utility trailer loaded with 8k pounds?
It is a steep learning curve coming from diesel 3/4 and 1 ton trucks!
IMG_4965.jpeg

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The windscreen on that UTV acts as a big sail. There's like a 4mpg difference when I have the expanded metal ramp up on the back of my trailer instead of laying down on it, especially at speeds above 50. That's when the trailer is empty. Depending on which direction you're driving (into the wind or not) it gets even worse. Even without a trailer I've seen my mileage drop by 2-3 when driving into a strong headwind.

Cruise control also plays a part. I've noticed worse mileage with cruise control because it's focused on keeping that set speed as closely as possible as opposed to letting it fluctuate a bit even on downhills.

Moonlightboater

Reaction score
I mentioned this to my wife and she hated all of my HD trucks.
So as little as I will tow, do not want to deal with the complexities of the modern diesel.

I just wonder how the 6.4 Hemi in the 2500 tows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidbt

Reaction score
I mentioned this to my wife and she hated all of my HD trucks.
So as little as I will tow, do not want to deal with the complexities of the modern diesel.

I just wonder how the 6.4 Hemi in the 2500 tows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can go on the HD forum and some posts. From what I've read on there, most people are very happy with the 6.4. I've considered it, but I'm tired of trading and extending truck payments and my 5.7 non e-torq has been great. We pull a 26' travel trailer 3-4 times a year and I'm very happy with the set up I have now.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've towed ~8.5k pounds on a trailer and gotten 14mpg in my Rebel. Didn't go above 55, and it was a low profile trailer and two pallets of retaining wall blocks. Ran it about 50 miles for that average. Speed and wind resistance are the biggest factors.

But yeah, you're not going to touch diesel or 3/4-1 ton towing numbers with a 1/2 ton gasser. This is my daily, and my trailering consists of weekend loads or the occasional car haul. I'd rather have the half ton comforts most of the time over the towing capacity some of the time.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Went and picked up my Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Forest pulling my Aluma 77x10’ trailer. It was slightly hilly in Mississippi, but was shocked at low fuel economy even at 65 mph. Also shocked at how much it down shifted to maintain the 65 mph and this was only towing 2100/lbs.
So now I am wondering what would it be like towing my 20’ utility trailer loaded with 8k pounds?
View attachment 180163
I'm 99% sure you truck will not be able to tow your 8k trailer legally.
What is your payload from the factory?
Limiteds in general and your oem 22s are not made for towing.
Also 65 mpg is fast for 3.92 gears. I will only get around 15-17mpg at 65 mpg not towing, 11 sounds about right for adding that weight and wind resistance.

Last edited:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
View attachment 180163

I can get between 9 and 11 towing my trailer loaded to 6000 pounds. At a certain point towing tends to wreck your MPG but when you get down to the 9's and 11's you can tow bigger trailers and not notice a difference. As mentioned above, aero is everything. My trailer isn't the biggest or the heaviest, but it's a dual axle with an identical front sized "wall" that much longer/heavier TT's have and that wall is the killer. Adding another 1000 pounds or 5-10 feet here and there doesn't do anything one way or the other, the wall is what does it.

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
The windscreen on that UTV acts as a big sail. There's like a 4mpg difference when I have the expanded metal ramp up on the back of my trailer instead of laying down on it, especially at speeds above 50. That's when the trailer is empty. Depending on which direction you're driving (into the wind or not) it gets even worse. Even without a trailer I've seen my mileage drop by 2-3 when driving into a strong headwind.

Cruise control also plays a part. I've noticed worse mileage with cruise control because it's focused on keeping that set speed as closely as possible as opposed to letting it fluctuate a bit even on downhills.
I’ve been towing 6k TT for 5 yr and in best conditions get around 12 mpg. Wind takes me down to 8 mpg, but my biggest ‘issue’ is the trans…cruise (or me being careless) keeps the trans in 5-6th gear 90%+ of the time, whereas I can usually get her into 7th if I’m paying attention…and that usually gets me a 2 mpg boost. I’ve got a 9k TT now that the 1500 can’t possibly handle (I did it once, she was NOT happy about it) so I’m renting a 2500 to take it in for warranty work. Next year it’s either the Ramcharger or a 2500 for me!

i_squared_r

Reaction score
I moved from NY to Florida with this 6000lb boat. Inside the truck is probably 1k lbs of stuff and another 1-2k lbs inside the boat. 1200 miles, 9-10mpg at 65mph. 3.92 gears. Wishing that I went for a 3/4 ton with a diesel, but it will do for now. Maybe trade up when my powertrain warranty ends in november 2026.
1F25EF20-C375-43EE-BC9A-00EBC564CBA8.JPG

E.Hands

Reaction score
I moved from NY to Florida with this 6000lb boat. Inside the truck is probably 1k lbs of stuff and another 1-2k lbs inside the boat. 1200 miles, 9-10mpg at 65mph. 3.92 gears. Wishing that I went for a 3/4 ton with a diesel, but it will do for now. Maybe trade up when my powertrain warranty ends in november 2026.
View attachment 181851
Clean set-up. Enjoy the Sunshine State!

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 181851
Don’t make another mistake by getting 3/4 ton. I recommend a SRW (single rear wheel)
1 ton.

Users who are viewing this thread