5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non LT tire recommendations

Twil6

Reaction score
What are some good stock replacement tires for 275/55-20 stock wheels. Decent for mainly street and highway. Bad weather is mostly rain.

Thanks

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Time to do some reading. You’ll get a 1000 different recommendations. Best to check out the various threads and go on discount tire and read some reviews and make yourself a short list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Paco

Reaction score
Terrain Contact
.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCRK0nv6Ni4.
Had Duratrack, had to remove.
Seems like a nice compromise, and no road noise.
Rolling resistance is similar to the defender, which I usually run, but mileage seems to have dropped off a lot???
Really nice smooth solid tire, not sure about size.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
No idea if you’re interested in getting larger tires, but Nitto just released the new Recon Grappler in 315/60r20 size (35x12.50) in a SL rating instead of LT (E) load like all other 35s and it’s super light too. That would be a sweet, comfortable, all terrain tire with I think a 55k mile warranty

jmrhodes212

Reaction score
Terrain Contact
.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCRK0nv6Ni4.
Had Duratrack, had to remove.
Seems like a nice compromise, and no road noise.
Rolling resistance is similar to the defender, which I usually run, but mileage seems to have dropped off a lot???
Really nice smooth solid tire, not sure about size.
This was on my final 3. Bridgestone Revo 3, Conti's and Recon Grapplers. Most reviews had them on par with the conti's and the recon grappler has some conflicting reports of road noise and wet traction. What put me over the edge with the Revo 3s was that the LT versions are 12 lbs less than others. My E rated 275/65/20 tires only weigh 52 lbs compared to 62-64 lbs with others. Ride seems to be no different than my Pirelli All Seasons they replaced. Will be checking mpgs this week since I have put limited miles on them since they were bought.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I'm going to shock everyone when I say this because a lot of people said they sucked but I had great luck with them. When I had my 11 Ram it had the stock Goodyear SRA tires and I got about 45k miles out of them with 40lbs of air and regular rotations. I live in New England so I had to drive in snow during the winter and they did fine for me then too. I replaced them with the same Goodyear SRA tires up until I traded it in for my 21. I don't know if they still make them but I'd put them on again if I still had the 11.

Twil6

Reaction score
Thanks all. I Like the Michelins, but for his budget(son), that I am chipping in on I am thinking about this for middle of the road pricing and specs.

1673290338692.png

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm going to shock everyone when I say this because a lot of people said they sucked but I had great luck with them. When I had my 11 Ram it had the stock Goodyear SRA tires and I got about 45k miles out of them with 40lbs of air and regular rotations. I live in New England so I had to drive in snow during the winter and they did fine for me then too. I replaced them with the same Goodyear SRA tires up until I traded it in for my 21. I don't know if they still make them but I'd put them on again if I still had the 11.
I had stock SRA's on a 4th gen I used to own. Those were the worst tires I've ever owned. They would unpredictably cause the rear end to step out when driving on snow covered highways. In one instance I ended up sideways in the highway. If there had been any opposing traffic I might not be here to type this. They also hydroplaned badly when driving in heavy rain. I'm glad you didn't experience any issues with yours, but imagine how much better off you'd have been if you had upgraded them to something better.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks all. I Like the Michelins, but for his budget(son), that I am chipping in on I am thinking about this for middle of the road pricing and specs.

View attachment 148356

I had stock SRA's on a 4th gen I used to own. Those were the worst tires I've ever owned. They would unpredictably cause the rear end to step out when driving on snow covered highways. In one instance I ended up sideways in the highway. If there had been any opposing traffic I might not be here to type this. They also hydroplaned badly when driving in heavy rain. I'm glad you didn't experience any issues with yours, but imagine how much better off you'd have been if you had upgraded them to something better.

I would suggest, based on my own experiences *, to prioritize excellent rain/snow performance over everything else.

* A long time ago, when I was 19 and knew it all, I was in an accident that I caused by driving to fast for conditions. It had just rained heavily and there was a lot of standing water in the depressions on the highway formed by traffic. I hydroplaned in one and my car started to spin. Before the rear-end could get past the front, it hit the center median and bounced me back into the passing lane where I was t-boned in the driver's side by the car behind me. Fortunately, I wasn't hurt too badly other than my shattered ego. Afterwards, my father helped me with better tires and gave me a lecture or two.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I live in New England and never had a problem with them

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I live in New England and never had a problem with them
I know, that's what you said before. You are about the only person I've seen who has something positive to say about those tires.

I've never been to New England so I can't compare your weather with the weather we get in Eastern WA. But we get more than our share of snowy weather. The conditions where I had the most trouble with those tires were on packed snow covered roads. Other than bald tires I'd run when I couldn't afford new ones, no other tire I've owned reacted like the SRA's did in the same conditions, even when they were new.

Bigbags85

Reaction score

View attachment 148356
Check out Vredestein. I've been using them for a few years now on different cars and have always had great luck. I currently am running the Hitracs on my truck and Quatracs on my Maxima. Really smooth and quiet like a Michelin but without the price tag.

Users who are viewing this thread