5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non-folding Towing mirrors change to powered folding?

ZX6R Junkie

Reaction score
Im looking into cost and process for swapping my current mirrors for a set of new ones that have other features ($375 for the driver/ passenger set +$25 for new master window switch panel that includes the button for the folding function). Comparison below. Wondering if i just need to swap the master window switch panel if it simply wont work.

Current: tow mirrors with powered glass, has puddle and signal lights, heated, manual folding

Want: non-tow mirrors with powered glass, with puddle and signal lights, heated, powered folding, in glass turn signal, in glass blind spot detection. (See pics, pic 1 is current and pics 2-4 are what i think i need)

Attachments

• IMG_3806.jpeg
    IMG_3806.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3815.png
    IMG_3815.png
    134.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3814.png
    IMG_3814.png
    191.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3817.png
    IMG_3817.png
    178.9 KB · Views: 54

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im looking into cost and process for swapping my current mirrors for a set of new ones that have other features ($375 for the driver/ passenger set +$25 for new master window switch panel that includes the button for the folding function). Comparison below. Wondering if i just need to swap the master window switch panel if it simply wont work.

Current: tow mirrors with powered glass, has puddle and signal lights, heated, manual folding

Want: non-tow mirrors with powered glass, with puddle and signal lights, heated, powered folding, in glass turn signal, in glass blind spot detection. (See pics, pic 1 is current and pics 2-4 are what i think i need)
The OEM mirrors don't have in-glass turn signals, they are in-housing.
You might need new door modules too.

Cab2344

Reaction score
for powerfold also need door modules and alpha obd with bypass cable to reprogram. Not totally sure on blindspot, but I believe there is a different tail light or part in the tail light you need and maybe more (wires?)

ZX6R Junkie

Reaction score
for powerfold also need door modules and alpha obd with bypass cable to reprogram. Not totally sure on blindspot, but I believe there is a different tail light or part in the tail light you need and maybe more (wires?)
Makes sense. I can do without the blindspot light, just would be nice to have if not paying arm n leg for it

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did mine, ordered mopar parts (not thru infotainment) but from just mopar parts. mirrors, switch, and you need left and right door modules, because yours will not have power outputs for motors. then, once installed, you need jscan or alfaobd to enable them. its straightforward, plug and play stuff.

Hawkshot99

Reaction score

Sorry can’t help you in what you want but a question for you. I think I may have the same mirrors as you, but unsure of the heated part. Where is the button to turn the heat on/off on your current setup so I can see if I have them?

ZX6R Junkie

Reaction score
Update: ive got front left and right door modules plus the master window switch ordered via ($56/ea for modules, $40 for switch, free shipping), and the mirrors ordered feom carparts.com (see pic). So now i just need the port module and activation software and should be good for at least the power folding part of it. I keep seeing alpha/alfaOBD being mentioned…

I’ll tackle the blind spot stuff at a later date.

Attachments

• IMG_3821.png
    IMG_3821.png
    131.1 KB · Views: 37

ZX6R Junkie

Reaction score
Sorry can’t help you in what you want but a question for you. I think I may have the same mirrors as you, but unsure of the heated part. Where is the button to turn the heat on/off on your current setup so I can see if I have them?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 47

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Heated mirrors have a little squiggle emblem in the glass. The will turn on automatically with rear defog.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Update: ive got front left and right door modules plus the master window switch ordered via ($56/ea for modules, $40 for switch, free shipping), and the mirrors ordered feom carparts.com (see pic). So now i just need the port module and activation software and should be good for at least the power folding part of it. I keep seeing alpha/alfaOBD being mentioned…

I’ll tackle the blind spot stuff at a later date.
Blind spot involves sensors in the tail lights, you have to replace the entire unit, harnesses, and programming, besides the mirrors. ALPHAOBD is a program you buy, and you can change settings with the proper OBD reader, and a bypass harness. There are many things you can reprogram.

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
I don’t have that button…. My only defrost logo is in the center of the air director knob and I can turn the defrost on/off

ZX6R Junkie

Reaction score
Blind spot involves sensors in the tail lights, you have to replace the entire unit, harnesses, and programming, besides the mirrors. ALPHAOBD is a program you buy, and you can change settings with the proper OBD reader, and a bypass harness. There are many things you can reprogram.
So after acquiring all i need for the mirror change to powered mirrors, ive done the whole process and i believe im just waiting on the ECU and mirrors to "learn" the ability to be powered folding. Heres another thread i made asking about why it isnt folding yet with screenshots using alfaOBD: tow -> powered folding mirror change

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So after acquiring all i need for the mirror change to powered mirrors, ive done the whole process and i believe im just waiting on the ECU and mirrors to "learn" the ability to be powered folding. Heres another thread i made asking about why it isnt folding yet with screenshots using alfaOBD: tow -> powered folding mirror change
You shouldn't have to wait if you changed the correct parameters to enable the power-fold feature.

BlownGP

Reaction score
I did mine, ordered mopar parts (not thru infotainment) but from just mopar parts. mirrors, switch, and you need left and right door modules, because yours will not have power outputs for motors. then, once installed, you need jscan or alfaobd to enable them. its straightforward, plug and play stuff.

Hey Mike
What are the part numbers for the door modules and window switch?

Thanks

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
68424178AC. Door Module, Right Front Door$67.67
68424179AC. Door Module, Left Front Door$73.69​
is what I ordered

BlownGP

Reaction score
BlownGP - hey you got Grand Prix?

Used to. Had it for about 20 years. From new in 1998 to 2018.
Wish I didn't sell it but wanted something else. It now sits up in Michigan with a blown motor rusting away:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Attachments

• IMG_20170812_171009.jpg
    IMG_20170812_171009.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 11

Users who are viewing this thread