5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noise when starting to move or coming to a stop.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I'm noticing a noise sometimes, not all the time, when I an starting to move or coming to a stop, almost stopped.

At first I was thinking that is was something rolling around inside of the dash. Now, I'm not so sure.

It kind of does sound like something rolling inside the dash, but it also could be described as a piece of Velcro fastening and unfastening.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I am also wondering if the noise is the rubber gasket that goes along the edge of the dash where it touches the windshield. Could it also possibly be a traction control noise? It's driving me crazy.

Unfortunately my newly built Longhorn is not without a few rattles. I also hear some rattling coming from the passenger side of the vehicle when going over bumps. Perhaps it's one of the doors moving in the frame. I don't know yet.

Any ideas and thoughts or experiences would be welcome.

Thanks all.

Rob

Reaction score
Attach a video clip of the sound if possible. I might be able to lead in the right direction.

apjacks

Reaction score
I'm noticing a noise sometimes, not all the time, when I an starting to move or coming to a stop, almost stopped.

At first I was thinking that is was something rolling around inside of the dash. Now, I'm not so sure.

It kind of does sound like something rolling inside the dash, but it also could be described as a piece of Velcro fastening and unfastening.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I am also wondering if the noise is the rubber gasket that goes along the edge of the dash where it touches the windshield. Could it also possibly be a traction control noise? It's driving me crazy.

Unfortunately my newly built Longhorn is not without a few rattles. I also hear some rattling coming from the passenger side of the vehicle when going over bumps. Perhaps it's one of the doors moving in the frame. I don't know yet.

Any ideas and thoughts or experiences would be welcome.

Thanks all.
My roof liner feels like it dropped down from a clip or velcro. Still pushes up slightly and will sometimes make a velcro pulling noise or slight squeak when going over a speed bump. Hesitant to allow the dealer to pull down the liner.

Rob

Reaction score
The pano roof liner is a little noisy. I would push it in all around to seat the plastic Velcro clips. Headliner may have to come out through the windshield though. Truck is bigger than the old one and the old wouldn’t come out unless shield was removed

The_Chemist

Reaction score
My roof liner feels like it dropped down from a clip or velcro. Still pushes up slightly and will sometimes make a velcro pulling noise or slight squeak when going over a speed bump. Hesitant to allow the dealer to pull down the liner.
Mine was like that as well over the ftont passenger seat side window. I'll have to check the rest of it out. I definitely would not let the dealer touch mine. That would be asking for a little annoying noise to be turned into a destructive mess.

I really wish they would be better at quality control. I bought my 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe, drove it off the dealer lot and it has only been back for scheduled maintenance. No squeaks, rattles or things that didn't work. Best quality I've ever seen. Now why can't FCA do that as well on a $70,000 window sticker truck?

Cdcrawford25

Reaction score
Do you happen to store anything in the rear cab floor storage boxes? I have items stored there and notice noises when things shift around in there.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Do you happen to store anything in the rear cab floor storage boxes? I have items stored there and notice noises when things shift around in there.
No, nothing in any storage compartment yet. The main noise does sound like it's coming from inside the dash somewhere.

The other rattle type noise sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of the vehicle. Hopefully that one is just a seatbelt banging against the B pillar. I'll have to fasten it and see if it still exists. It could also be a door loose in the frame because it doesn't shut tight enough....

Thanks for your input.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
The noise coming from the dash appears to be the dash itself. I think it is poorly fitted in place. If I push on the dash with my hands, I can make it squeak. Right where the leather stops where it meets the plastic defroster vents is a noisy area. Also where the rubber gasket after the defroster vents meets the windshield is another noise point.

The panoramic sunroof headliner also ticks and clicks. It is very noisy right above the passenger sun visor. I pressed all the Velcro fasteners into place, but noises still exist. If I push on the headliner when it is ticking and clicking, I can get it to stop. Maybe it needs to be shoved full of foam.

I’m very disappointed that a vehicle which is window sticketed at $70,000 has these issues. I’ve learned from owning previous vehicles not to take them into the dealer for these sorts of issues. They only make it worse, scratch and ruin the interior.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I fixed a noise coming from the panoramic headliner. Mine fits really well on the left side of the vehicle, but the tight side has a lot of play even when pushed up into the velcryfasteners.

I was getting a metallic ticking sound above the passenger headliner. It was the headliner moving just enough even over smooth roads. I took some sponge rubber made for air conditioners and placed it up under the headliner where it meets the steel sunroof frame. It stopped that noise.

Now if I could only figure out what the noise is upon stopping and starting coming from the dash. Still sounds like a bolt rolling around in there...

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Finally got a video clip of the rolling bolt (rrrrrrrriiiiiipppppp) sound that my dash makes when the vehicle starts or stops moving. My cell phone microphone does not do justice to the noise. It's actually much louder in the vehicle.

Last edited:

Rob

Reaction score
Wow. That’s sounds like ****. I’m gonna do a little digging around and see what I come up with. It is pretty annoying though

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Wow. That’s sounds like ****. I’m gonna do a little digging around and see what I come up with. It is pretty annoying though
Thanks Rob. My cell phone microphone did not do the sound justice. It's actually so much louder than it sounds in the video. In real life it's LOUD When I play the video on my hone surround sound system, I can barely hear it. I appreciate your help. I wouldn't even know where to start trying to locate and fix it.

Rob

Reaction score
Chassis ears are gonna be a must on this repair. A lot of noises on cars in general seems inside but come through the sheet metal. But don’t wanna rule out the interior noise. I would remove the center console and see if it gets louder. Very easy console to remove. 6 bolts. And yes I’ve found a couple of half *** items on my truck. I fix cars for a living so I never cut corners. I guess during production they do. Horrible

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Chassis ears are gonna be a must on this repair. A lot of noises on cars in general seems inside but come through the sheet metal. But don’t wanna rule out the interior noise. I would remove the center console and see if it gets louder. Very easy console to remove. 6 bolts. And yes I’ve found a couple of half *** items on my truck. I fix cars for a living so I never cut corners. I guess during production they do. Horrible
Hey Rob, I really appreciate your input. Do you know where the 6 bolts to remove the console are locared? I was also thinking that this noise may be eminating from the cab mounts???? I may just have to bite the bullet and let the dealer rip and tear. That's my worst fear. Dealer employees just do not care how they treat your vehicle.

The noise appears to be getting worse. It used to do it intermittently. Now it is happening more frequently.

Rob

Reaction score
Cab mounts could be the issue. Yes. There common. When u remove the console the noise should get really loud bc there no carpet under the console so the noise comes through the steel easily. 4 bolts on each side. Little square covers over them. Also 2 small pieces of dash trim unclip right in front of the console. All 10mm bolts. Should be pretty straight forward. I removed mine. Also put dynamat on my truck. Helps a lot. It’s quieter than my wife’s Escalade now

Rob

Reaction score
Also on a cold morning when you first drive. Do about 5-10 mph and rock the steering wheel each way and see if any noise is present. That’s the biggest sign of a mount issue. Sounds like something is breaking when you do that

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Also on a cold morning when you first drive. Do about 5-10 mph and rock the steering wheel each way and see if any noise is present. That’s the biggest sign of a mount issue. Sounds like something is breaking when you do that
Thanks Rob. You're a wealth of knowledge and information! I appreciate it. I wanted to get my girlfriend to drive me around in the truck so I could listen, but she's afraid to drive something this big.
I saw an assembly video on the new 1500's. It looked like there were 2 console bolts on the firewall, but 4 accessable bolts work for me.

I would love to Dynamat my vehicle. The older I get, the more, I want a QUIET smooth riding vehicle.

After this noise I have to try and quiet the noisy pano sunroof headliner. Geez...

Rob

Reaction score
2 small triangle looking trim pieces. Adjacent the console. And 4 Covers on the side reveal the bolts. Comes right out. Slides back and unplugs. Comes apart and goes together perfect

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/