5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noise after Level Kit

broers22

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else has or had same issue but I had a terrible popping or clunking noise after dealer installed Rough Country 2" level kit. Brought it to dealer x2 after and couldn't solve. Removed the kit and noise is gone. Too bad. But still fit Toyo Open Country AT II on stock off road. Still happy but too bad with issue on level kit.

Attachments

• 20190507_115351.jpg
    20190507_115351.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 193

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else has or had same issue but I had a terrible popping or clunking noise after dealer installed Rough Country 2" level kit. Brought it to dealer x2 after and couldn't solve. Removed the kit and noise is gone. Too bad. But still fit Toyo Open Country AT II on stock off road. Still happy but too bad with issue on level kit.
The bolt at the top of the strut assembly was likely loose. Put a top hat spacer and you can still have your level without any issues.

Thecico3

Reaction score
dude i have the same issue, everyone is complaining about the same thing, i like RC but **** them on this pos level kit. They shouldn't be selling it, its ruining the struts and making things way to stiff.

roshang98

Reaction score
I had the same issue with leveling kit . Ride was so crappy and had a MPG decrease too. I had to remove the leveling .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valsvic

Reaction score
Mine did the same but was an easy fix. A mechanic friend told me to check the sway bar nuts that they are tight. After the truck settles a bit everything needs to be re-checked for tightness. The sway bar is often the culprit. Sure enough, I checked and one side was a bit loose. I put just another turn or 2 on it and problem solved.

aevus

Reaction score
Mine did the same but was an easy fix. A mechanic friend told me to check the sway bar nuts that they are tight. After the truck settles a bit everything needs to be re-checked for tightness. The sway bar is often the culprit. Sure enough, I checked and one side was a bit loose. I put just another turn or 2 on it and problem solved.

sorry to revive an old thread, but did your issue ever come back?

d34443

Reaction score
just had leveling kit put in my 2020 rebel and had the clunking too. After seeing this thread I checked and both sway bar link bolts were loose. Thanks to posters here and just to add something useful for future readers , 5/16 & 3/4 box wrenches needed

THughes191

Reaction score
I just had a leveling kit put on my 2020 Big Horn and I am having the same issue mentioned above with the clunking noise. I took it back to my mechanic and he tightened everything up, including the sway bar, however it’s still making the clunking noise. Did anyone find another reason that could be causing the clunking?

ABEZ20K

Reaction score
I just lifted my truck 6" with an RC kit. And after about 400 miles had the same problem. Clunking during a slow brake to stop. Took it to the installer and it took him 2 hrs to locate the source and it was infact nuts inside the crossmember that needed re-tightening. It is true that after settling and 500mi, the kits need to be re-tre-tightened.

Cutch

Reaction score
Same issue with me too. Curious if anyone has had to replace struts. Dealers telling me that’s the culprit

Cornholio

Reaction score
2021 Rebel. Same issue. Put in a motofab leveling kit and the truck started making a clunking noise that got worse over about a week. It was the sway bars. One was very loose. The others I tightened a bit too for good measure. Problem solved. Thanks guys!

yamasxv

Reaction score
I put a motofab 2.5" front and 2" rear leveling kit in my 2019 Bighorn a couple weeks back, last couple days it's been clunking. I was starting to wonder if my ball joints were being pushed too far and damaged, but saw this thread this am. Re-tightened everything, found one of the sway bar end links was loose, also got an extra turn or so on strut top hat bolts. I'd checked 2x everything was tight when I'd completed, just shows a little driving and some good bumps could move everything around enough to need some extra love. Thanks to the prior posters who've shared their fixes.
- Jon

dannymcd

Reaction score
I did the 5100 lift on the 2.6" setting myself, it pops and clunks a little, I haven't gotten under there but it sounds like the textbook "Chrysler Clap" or at least that's what we call it, my 03 caravan, 05 seabring gtc, and family members cars from PT Cruisers to charger r/t's all had it, and every last one of them was the sway bar link. Most of them it was an ongoing issue that never was fully fixed, not even with full replacement using Moog parts. Fortunately the trucks have a tapered connection instead of it trying to clamp on sheet metal so I think it should be fixable with a new bolt or locktite.

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
Might be the upper control arms hitting on the spring. It appears most of you have the off-road package which already gives you one inch of lift. Adding a leveling kit puts you up to three to three and a half inches of lift. Check out waterfoweler41 on YouTube he was experiencing a similar issue after leveling his rebel.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just a note for anyone doing this in the future, all bolts and nuts are metric.

jwj71

Reaction score
Exact same issue with this product! After multiple visits to the shop that installed my RC kit and to my dealership, we finally determined there is an issue with the spacer design for the new Ram. After contacting RC directly and sending them an inspection report from the Ram dealership, they sent me complete strut assemblies that will give me my 2in and replace the spacers. They did this at no cost for the struts, but I had to pay my shop to do the install. I highly suggest going the full strut route from the beginning. It is a bit more cost upfront, but you will get a better ride and avoid the hassle with the spacer defect.

For those interested, I ended up fitting Nitto Recon Grappler 295/60R20 tires on my stock rims. Love the look and ride so far...and I love this Truck almost as much as my family.

Hope this helps you all, seems to be quite the issue. I was surprised to find RC wasn't aware of this issue after reading about all the problems people are having. I hope they can figure things out to make people's lives a bit easier. Just glad they did what they could to make it right...good on them!

Attachments

• IMG_6447.jpg
    IMG_6447.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6448.jpg
    IMG_6448.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 64

utlong31

Reaction score
Well I wish I had found this forum before I had mine installed a few days ago. Today was my first real drive and I haven’t heard anything yet but from what I’ve read it’s just a matter of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Motofab 2" top hat spacers. Took me 2 hours to install by myself, made sure everything was tightened, checked again after 100 miles and re-tightened. No issues in over 20k miles. Don't have to compress the strut, don't even have to take the LCA bolt out. Much better than the inside coil spacers.

U

User_100353

I’ve had a similar issue only mine after installing a 2 inch level and new UCAs. on full turn have rubbing going on. Would anyone know how this would happpen and how to fix. Tia

Attachments

• 3306DC7F-5A00-4637-AA27-4665D4EF105E.jpeg
    3306DC7F-5A00-4637-AA27-4665D4EF105E.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited by a moderator:

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had a similar issue only mine after installing a 2 inch level is only on full lock turn got u set and looked and I have rubbing going on. Would anyone know how this would happpen and how to fix. Tia
There is no fix. It’s a steering stop. Adding the level changes the geometry a little bit and results in it contacting. Doesn’t really hurt anything.

Users who are viewing this thread