5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NOCO GB40 Booster Pack.

GyRoCoN

Reaction score
Hey Folks. I recently purchased one of these NOCO GB40 booster packs. I got it for a decent price on sale at a local Box store. I have used it several times now on my lawn tractor and it works like a charm for that. Has anyone had cause or opportunity to test one out on our trucks? I know a few years ago Project Farm tested one out and the results were less than stellar, however I am hoping if the need ever arises, and the battery isn't completely dead, I should be able to get enough revolutions out of the Hemi to start it up. I also carry Jumper cables as always just to cover all my bases. I considered unhooking the battery to try it out, but waiting for the Uconnect gizmos to come back to life is not worth the hassle at this point. I'm just curious if anyone has tried it out.

Thanks.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Hey Folks. I recently purchased one of these NOCO GB40 booster packs. I got it for a decent price on sale at a local Box store. I have used it several times now on my lawn tractor and it works like a charm for that. Has anyone had cause or opportunity to test one out on our trucks? I know a few years ago Project Farm tested one out and the results were less than stellar, however I am hoping if the need ever arises, and the battery isn't completely dead, I should be able to get enough revolutions out of the Hemi to start it up. I also carry Jumper cables as always just to cover all my bases. I considered unhooking the battery to try it out, but waiting for the Uconnect gizmos to come back to life is not worth the hassle at this point. I'm just curious if anyone has tried it out.

Thanks.

I have a GB50 (1500amp) that lives under my back seat and I've started many other peoples vehicles with it but have never gotten to use it on my own truck. As well I have a GB55 (1750amp) and a GBX155 (4250amp) that I keep at work. The smaller pack has jumped a 5.0 F-150, you could tell it was working hard, but not struggling. the larger pack has started a completely dead 7.6L International diesel and a 100 horse John Deere tractor, so I have a pretty positive view of the NOCO jump packs. Hope I don't need mine anytime soon, but I'm glad to know it's there. Sorry that's not exactly an answer to your question, just my $0.02!

RickWaz

Reaction score
I've used the NOCO Boost Pro GB150 3000A a couple of times on my 2020 Ram, w/o issues. I also installed the NOCO GENIUS2D (Direct-Mount Onboard Charger) as added battery-protection insurance. Sorry as well, for not exactly answering your question. Good luck!

GyRoCoN

Reaction score
I have a GB50 (1500amp) that lives under my back seat and I've started many other peoples vehicles with it but have never gotten to use it on my own truck. As well I have a GB55 (1750amp) and a GBX155 (4250amp) that I keep at work. The smaller pack has jumped a 5.0 F-150, you could tell it was working hard, but not struggling. the larger pack has started a completely dead 7.6L International diesel and a 100 horse John Deere tractor, so I have a pretty positive view of the NOCO jump packs. Hope I don't need mine anytime soon, but I'm glad to know it's there. Sorry that's not exactly an answer to your question, just my $0.02!
Thanks for the reply. I have used various NOCO products and have had good luck with them. I have a set of quick connect eyelets on my ATV and the lawn tractor so i can quickly hook them up to my Genius 5 charger/maintainer. it works great. sadly the lawn tractor battery is kaput and won't hold any charge anymore. I guess 7 years is all you can expect out of one of those little batteries.

GyRoCoN

Reaction score
I've used the NOCO Boost Pro GB150 3000A a couple of times on my 2020 Ram, w/o issues. I also installed the NOCO GENIUS2D (Direct-Mount Onboard Charger) as added battery-protection insurance. Sorry as well, for not exactly answering your question. Good luck!
I wanted a bigger model like the 150 however my Canadian Pesos only go so far these days.

23RAM

Reaction score
Hey Folks. I recently purchased one of these NOCO GB40 booster packs.
I have one of those for backup with 4-cyl and 6-cyl vehicles, and my boat, and it works well for those. It struggles to turn over a V8. I'd go for a GB50 or larger for big engines.

69Sting

Reaction score
Timing is good for this. I just had my stock battery go to crap on me this weekend. Part my fault as I checked some info on the dash cluster and must have ended up leaving the push button on ACC or Run for over 15hrs. Battery would light up the dash and lights but not even do a turn over of the truck. All I got was a "POP" sound from the dash. Hooked up my Noco GB70 and it did NOT turn it over. I think if my truck would have had some turnover but not start the GB70 would have worked.
Battery was so dead that even after a 8hr charge with my 10 amp Noco charger, the battery almost didn't start my truck right after taking it off the charger. New AGM H7 battery and all is good.

I run Noco GB40's in 3 of our vehicles and they have worked great for helping others of all sorts of 6cyl vehicles. But found out once a battery is heading down the 'junk' road, these do not have enough power to override the deadness of the battery especially if it so dead it is shorted a cell.

I have used my GB70 to jump start 8cyl vehicles with no worry.

GyRoCoN

Reaction score
Timing is good for this. I just had my stock battery go to crap on me this weekend. Part my fault as I checked some info on the dash cluster and must have ended up leaving the push button on ACC or Run for over 15hrs. Battery would light up the dash and lights but not even do a turn over of the truck. All I got was a "POP" sound from the dash. Hooked up my Noco GB70 and it did NOT turn it over. I think if my truck would have had some turnover but not start the GB70 would have worked.
Battery was so dead that even after a 8hr charge with my 10 amp Noco charger, the battery almost didn't start my truck right after taking it off the charger. New AGM H7 battery and all is good.

I run Noco GB40's in 3 of our vehicles and they have worked great for helping others of all sorts of 6cyl vehicles. But found out once a battery is heading down the 'junk' road, these do not have enough power to override the deadness of the battery especially if it so dead it is shorted a cell.

I have used my GB70 to jump start 8cyl vehicles with no worry.
yeah that's sort of my expectation. but im thinking if there's ALMOST enough juice left in the battery it may be enough to get it to crank over a couple times. hopefully I won't have to find out the hard way someday.

23RAM

Reaction score
yeah that's sort of my expectation. but im thinking if there's ALMOST enough juice left in the battery it may be enough to get it to crank over a couple times.
Yes, if the battery is just weak enough to not start the truck, a GB40 will probably fire it up. But I don't think it will fire up a truck with a dead battery. In that case, jumper cables or a bigger GB booster might be necessary.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on a Hulkman Alpha 85 boost pack during Prime days only to have my boss, who researches the crap out of everything, ask me why I didn't buy one of the Super Capacitor boost packs. Well, it's because I've never heard of them before.

According to him, it has no batteries and requires no regular charging, therefore it will never suffer the same failures of lead or lithium based chargers.

Anyone on here have any experience with them?

kzielu

Reaction score
I've used GB40 on a F150 3.5 Ecoboost with a dead battery (battery will go from fully charged using external charger to unable to start the truck in about a week of not driving during covid). Started it with no problem, several times. No need for a bigger one for this sized engines.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on a Hulkman Alpha 85 boost pack during Prime days only to have my boss, who researches the crap out of everything, ask me why I didn't buy one of the Super Capacitor boost packs. Well, it's because I've never heard of them before.

According to him, it has no batteries and requires no regular charging, therefore it will never suffer the same failures of lead or lithium based chargers.

Anyone on here have any experience with them?

He may be wrong on this

Supercapacitor Jump Starter Cons

Supercapacitor jump starters might have a longer lifespan, but they don’t hold an electric charge for very long. Their self-discharge rate is roughly 10% to 20% per day. If you were to keep the supercapacitor jump starter in your trunk for over a week without recharging it, then you might find it out of power by the time you need it for a jump start.

My Battery died this spring and left me stranded waiting on a friend to give me a jump start. After replacing the battery, I bought a NOCO Boost X GBX45
, never had an opportunity to use it till this week when the neighbors 6.2L escalades battery died, all the way dead, only a few slow clicks.
Connected the noco and pressed the power button and waited about 30 seconds. Truck started right up.

I did need to recharge the noco afterwards and discovered the difference between USB C chargers and the USB C cables. I had a "fast charger" but it was a "fast charger" for a tablet. It took it over an hour to give the noco one additional bar of power.

I researched and ordered a Amazon GaN charger that was delivered 4 hours later.
The Noco had only gained one more bar with the old charger in that 4 hours

1697056149242.jpeg

Plugged it in and changed the cable to a 60W rated USB C cable and the noco was completely charged 20 min later

In reading some more, I bought a larger 100W GaN charger and 2 Amazon Basics 100W USB-C to USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 Cable with Power Delivery to try on my laptop and the noco.

1697056352041.jpeg

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I have no experience so this is why I present the option for discussion. In my bosses case, his wife's car sat for an extended period and discharged the battery down to around 9 volts. He applied the Super Capacitor Jumper and waited for about 15 minutes for it to charge up. Once at 100%, it cranked the car enough to fire it off and all was good.

While they may work, I think most people will struggle to wrap their head around how the Super Capacitor actually functions, and just not ever come to trust them over a battery boost pack. Using similar terms to describe their operation isn't helping either. For instance, while similar, charging a capacitor is not the same as charging a battery and a discharged capacitor is a very different thing than a discharged battery. A discharged booster pack means you're looking for somebody else to rescue you, a discharged Super Capacitor just means you will be sitting there a bit longer while it charges.

Regardless, my research yesterday didn't sway my decision and I'm sticking with the Lithium jump pack. Pretty hard to argue with proven results and if I review the times where I needed one in the past, the battery style would have been effective in all scenarios, where the Super Capacitor only about 7 out of the 10.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have no experience so this is why I present the option for discussion. In my bosses case, his wife's car sat for an extended period and discharged the battery down to around 9 volts. He applied the Super Capacitor Jumper and waited for about 15 minutes for it to charge up. Once at 100%, it cranked the car enough to fire it off and all was good.

While they may work, I think most people will struggle to wrap their head around how the Super Capacitor actually functions, and just not ever come to trust them over a battery boost pack. Using similar terms to describe their operation isn't helping either. For instance, while similar, charging a capacitor is not the same as charging a battery and a discharged capacitor is a very different thing than a discharged battery. A discharged booster pack means you're looking for somebody else to rescue you, a discharged Super Capacitor just means you will be sitting there a bit longer while it charges.

Regardless, my research yesterday didn't sway my decision and I'm sticking with the Lithium jump pack. Pretty hard to argue with proven results and if I review the times where I needed one in the past, the battery style would have been effective in all scenarios, where the Super Capacitor only about 7 out of the 10.

Prior to this week, I hadn't either and like you, never heard of a super capacitor jump box. After reading what I have about them, I think I made the better decision for me as I don't think I've ever been in a situation where a Li-on battery jump box wouldn't have worked.

What I have learned is the the Li-on jump boxes, like all li-on batteries, will self discharge from full to protect themselves and it may be a good idea to pull it from under the seat and check the charge every 90 days or so. Mine had been sitting under the seat for 6 months and had dropped one bar from full but still started the neighbors truck with no issues.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have two of these. One lives in my truck, and I e lives in my step sons truck. He has a 98 Chevy Silverado with the 305. I have successfully jump started my Hemi with mine. and step sons truck a couple times. It has very high reviews on Amazon, and my experience backs that up.

NEXPOW 2000A Peak Car Jump Starter with USB Quick Charge 3.0 (Up to 7.0L Gas or 6.5L Diesel Engine), 12V Portable Battery Starter, Battery Booster with Built-in LED Light https://a.co/d/6SR7qyW

Users who are viewing this thread