5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Tailgate Ajar Warning (MY22)

Sigfla

Reaction score
Just ordered 68467817AA and 68312079AM for my 2023. I hope it works. The warning light would have saved me some damage due to my gate falling down while towing a utility trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_1019.jpeg
    IMG_1019.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 20

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey all, any instruction for programming using a JSCAN? Also, how do you know if you have a small screen? My Build Sheet says Instrument Cluster Theme Level 1. I'm guessing I'm good to go to do this mod, except I just use JSACN.
Small screen, would be 8" radio. Large screen is the 12". It's the center hub screen, not the instrument cluster.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just ordered 68467817AA and 68312079AM for my 2023. I hope it works. The warning light would have saved me some damage due to my gate falling down while towing a utility trailer.

When I was shopping for utility trailers, I made sure I got one that the tongue jack was far enough back that the tailgate couldn't hit it. There are a lot of brands that don't take that into consideration.

DublDeuce

Reaction score
Small screen, would be 8" radio. Large screen is the 12". It's the center hub screen, not the instrument cluster.
Ahhhhhhh, got it. Was thinking the EVIC. I have the 8.4 for sure.

Sigfla

Reaction score
When I was shopping for utility trailers, I made sure I got one that the tongue jack was far enough back that the tailgate couldn't hit it. There are a lot of brands that don't take that into consideration.
I was in a rush. I actually have an extended ball hitch that clears. I used my older adjustable hitch that sits closer to the bumper. The whole thing makes me sick. Truck is very new and I just had it ceramic coated and paint corrected. I don’t get why these trucks don’t have the ajar warning standard and also why RAM can’t figure out how to design/fit a proper tailgate latch/striker bolt…

DublDeuce

Reaction score
Since the Feds mandate backup cameras, a tailgate ajar warning makes total sense. Mine 2014 opened while driving. I had a topper which made it that much more difficult to see. My 2 dogs were on the back. Thankfully nothing happened.

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
All,
I have a 2020 Laraime - Nused - I was able to determine via build sheet for my vin - found that here on this forum. I have the factory bed lights that only would come on with the switch or the cab doors opening. I use my truck frequently at night so very much an inconvenience. I had been reading the various posts on getting the AlphOBD and the other parts to make changes. I spent several hours reading and watching videos on how to save your data each and every time, the first and most important lesson. (I am a computer programmer, always saving starting and after each incremental change.) I then jumped into the deep end of the pool with some trepidation. I wrote down the 2 lines of code to change on a piece of paper and made the 2 changes and viola. Now I get my bed lights on with the tailgate open, the Tailgate Ajar Icon, and the big picture in the driver display. I bought a bed cover and I was very afraid of the tailgate opening while driving.
It was the knowledge from these community members, that provided me the knowledge to get this mod operational. I have also enabled the fogs on with high beams function. Great way to learn and practice mods. I will be trying to add the brake controller in the future, as my next mod, money and confidence are currently holding me back from jumping off the cliff on this mod.
If you are the least bit curious, Jimmy gave a great test to see if the function is in your truck, without buying parts. (Yes you will have to buy a bypass cable, an OBD Code reader, and the AlphOBD equipment, but you can use this for other projects if this experiment does not return a positive response.) In my personal opinion, it is worth the investment, (I consider these to be tools) I feel that in the future these tools/equipment will save me time and money not having to have a dealer enable various things, I now can enable the changes in the driveway.

BlueHemi1500

DublDeuce

Reaction score
Welcome aboard BlueHemi1500! The Trailer brake was the first mod I did. Not bad at all, especially with all the help on the forum.

Sigfla

Reaction score
So I just did install. Gonna need an impact wrench/driver to get the old latch off or at least a good long wrench with torx bit. Whole process was easy. However I feel like guys are using the wrong side latch and inverting the harness. Dunno if a driver side latch is available with 4 wires but you seem to be able to use the passenger side latch and flip the harness over. All the attachment points line up either way. Just did program so about to check my install in a few more mins.

Sigfla

Reaction score
Worked like a charm. Wish I had it before my tailgate dropped on my trailer hitch. I have the lights in the dash and the graphic image when the gate is open. 100% should be standard on a Limited along with adaptive cruise, etc., etc….

Attachments

• IMG_1159.jpeg
    IMG_1159.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
When you dropped the tailgate, did you start your truck and put it in Drive or Reverse?
I did. Only get the icon for the tailgate open. Kinda weird actually I don’t really get messages on the dash, the ONLY message I get is if I turn Lane Sense off. No, “auto high beam” or much else. I already had the purple wire for the BCM and four connector latch, just needed to wait a while before the changes took I guess. All I had to change was the trunk ajar setting. Lights already came on when I dropped the gate.

DublDeuce

Reaction score
So I just did install. Gonna need an impact wrench/driver to get the old latch off or at least a good long wrench with torx bit. Whole process was easy. However I feel like guys are using the wrong side latch and inverting the harness. Dunno if a driver side latch is available with 4 wires but you seem to be able to use the passenger side latch and flip the harness over. All the attachment points line up either way. Just did program so about to check my install in a few more mins.
Sigfla, I just did the install but can't find the Adaption to change in JSCAN.

DublDeuce

Reaction score
Lookup “Ajar” they are there
Okay, I found and activated the Tailgate Ajar Indication and the Trunk Ajar Signal Input Present. In PARK I get the little Truck indication under the temperature. In REVERSE I get just text because I have the Rear Braking Assist off. When I turn it on, I get the audible and a flashing red indication. In NEUTRAL I get the actual Tailgate Open Image. In DRIVE I also get the Tailgate Open Image.
PARK.jpg
REVERSE.jpg
NEUTRAL_DRIVE.jpg

DublDeuce

Reaction score
Big shout out to everyone, especially Sigfla. I could not have done this without you all.

Users who are viewing this thread