5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No shine tire dressing?

shrubs2000

Reaction score
Currently trying the Chemical Guys VRP. Wanted something last weekend for a car show and I also don't like the shiny look. Very pleased with the results. Reminds me of the Zaino Z16 I used to use. Just ran through an auto car wash tonight and still looks good.
Same here. I use this on all my four-wheeled vehicles.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
@Goldsy mentioned 303 Aerospace - I second that. I use it on ATV tires to provide a clean, black look with minimal gloss. It also provides UV protection. Another just slightly more glossy option is TriNova tire shine. TriNova is my new go-to, but it does provide slight gloss.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just applied Aero Cosmetics Rubber Care to my tires and my wife's tires. So far I'm impressed. It leaves a clean, deep black look without any residue left behind. Now if it lasts more than a couple of weeks before the the next application, I'm sold. Another thing I hated about Armor All was the tires would turn brown after a week or two. Not sure if was attracting dirt/brake dust or if it was something else. Hopefully my tires won't turn brown with the Rubber Care.

20210924_183147.jpg

Jako

Reaction score
303 Aerospace protectant is about the best UV protection out there and leaves no shine behind.
I have been using 303 and I am happy with it. I purchased McQuires in a three pack at Costco a while back and decided to give it a shot. Pretty happy, applies very easy and a little more shine than 303.

Attachments

• Ram T1.jpg
    Ram T1.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Ram T2.jpg
    Ram T2.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Ram T3.jpg
    Ram T3.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Ram T4.jpg
    Ram T4.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 52

Johnny_H

Reaction score
Adam’s VRT is amazing. It’s fairly matte which I like, plus I usually only apply it every two washes as it seems to survive on the tire one wash after the first application. All Adam’s products are amazing in my opinion and are easy on paint and trim, and my vehicles look better longer between washes (they claim to be pH balanced which apparently attracts less dust). Chemical guys would be my second favourite brand and are of comparable quality.

After working in a car wash and detail shop for 10 years while in high school and college I would never use armour all even if it was free. I’ve seen it ruin many dashboards and it often attracts dust and dirt, plus the sheen it leaves on tires looks terrible and the residue on interior surfaces is disgusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen more than a few posts on various forums about Armor All causing damage to plastic and rubber. I've been using for a few decades without any issues.
I remember seeing it first-hand on the dash of my grandfather’s 2nd gen IROC Z. I asked about it and it was the first time I understood that chemicals could cause issues. I was probably around 8 years old at the time.

cervelo15

Reaction score
So bumping this thread, and apologize for hijacking but my searches for 303 protectant brought me here.

I'm focusing more on the matte sheen and its use for interior dashboard cleaning/protectant. Needless to say, I'm obsessed with keeping every speck of dust off my dash. But to no avail, after I thought I had all the dust cleared off, I see a piece here and there.

Has anyone used the 303 Interior protectant? How does it do keeping the dash clean and dust-free? More importantly, does it leave ANY shine at all? I like the factory flat/matte sheen and I don't want that changed.

I've done everything, using a lint brush before I get in, using MF towels at stop lights, the dust just never stops.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
So bumping this thread, and apologize for hijacking but my searches for 303 protectant brought me here.

I'm focusing more on the matte sheen and its use for interior dashboard cleaning/protectant. Needless to say, I'm obsessed with keeping every speck of dust off my dash. But to no avail, after I thought I had all the dust cleared off, I see a piece here and there.

Has anyone used the 303 Interior protectant? How does it do keeping the dash clean and dust-free? More importantly, does it leave ANY shine at all? I like the factory flat/matte sheen and I don't want that changed.

I've done everything, using a lint brush before I get in, using MF towels at stop lights, the dust just never stops.

Aerospace 303 will leave a matt finish when it dries.

I wipe down/clean my interior surfaces first with a lightly damp microfiber towel, go over the dash and door panels. Then apply 303 Aerospace using an application pad. You don't have to worry about rubbing it all off, once it dries, it will look factory, as if you don't have any product on the surface at all.

As for dust, I don't notice it attracting any, just your normal dust that happens over time.

cervelo15

Reaction score
Aerospace 303 will leave a matt finish when it dries.

I wipe down/clean my interior surfaces first with a lightly damp microfiber towel, go over the dash and door panels. Then apply 303 Aerospace using an application pad. You don't have to worry about rubbing it all off, once it dries, it will look factory, as if you don't have any product on the surface at all.

As for dust, I don't notice it attracting any, just your normal dust that happens over time.
Thanks @SD Rebel! I think the strategy I am going to take here is clean the dash real good first, then apply 303 as a layer of protectant. All I have been doing so far is wiping it down with a cleaner or damp cloth. I think it's a 2-step process, clean then protect.

I also have Optimum Power Clean around my garage I use for other applications. I think I am going to use that to clean (diluted 3:1), then apply the 303.

Shark875

Reaction score

I only use 303 on the interior. I think its the best product out for sun protection. It does have a little shine but not crazy like Armour all, As far as dust I think that inevitable

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've used several brands including Adams tire shine and VRT but lately have just been using cheap old Lucas tire shine. It is thin as water but it leaves the tires looking like natural black without a lot of extra shine. Biggest thing is it does not leave a residue on the tires making them look brown and dingy after driving in the rain.

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
After using Aero Cosmetics Rubber Care for a little over a year, I really can't recommend it. It does give the tires a nice, deep satin finish but it needs to be stripped off every month or so, or it will leave a waxy residue on the tires. It's very difficult to remove too. You can't get it off with a normal wheel/tire cleaner, even if you try to scrub it off. I ended up using a rag soaked in WD40 to get it off, which was pretty time consuming.

After cleaning my tires with WD40, they look better than ever. Now that all of that tire dressing is off, it should be easy to keep them looking good. I'm just going to wipe down my tires with WD40, blast them with my power washer and skip the tire dressing altogether.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
For me all those products seem to attract dirt and dust. I use this product to clean the wheels and it is eco friendly as well: Rubber cleaner

You can also order this from Amazon or pick up at most auto parts stores I would think as I have seen it at Advance, pep boys and others.

Users who are viewing this thread