5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Ramboxes on Bighorn/Lonestar models

Motoryan716

Reaction score
Does anyone know why Ram won't build Bighorn models with Ramboxes. I tried to order a Backcountry model and my dealer said the ordering system doesn't give that as an option.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Because not every option is available for lower trim levels. Otherwise a lot of people would never order higher levels. Of course, they keep adding more and more options to the BH every year it seems.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know why Ram won't build Bighorn models with Ramboxes. I tried to order a Backcountry model and my dealer said the ordering system doesn't give that as an option.
It's because of money really. Those lower trims that having more fancy options like that are being pushed down, are not a priority or not making those parts available.

I bet you that if you order a Rebel or Laramie, the package is available to be selected.

If you notice when they release details about the 2022 models, especially in the early tradesman packages, they removed some features you can get on higher trims.

For some of us that have lower trims (big horn, even Laramie trim) those with extra goodies like technology package, rambox, sunroof, blind spot monitoring, are being pushed down the building process in favor for higher trim models ( like limited, trx, and some rebel), so they have the chips to build higher priced trucks.

2021 Ram Rebel
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can only get the rambox option on short beds (5'7"). Were you ordering a truck with the longer bed? I'm seeing the rambox option as available on the Bighorn on the ramtrucks.com website, if I select the crew cab with the short bed.

Bighorn rambox.PNG

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can only get the rambox option on short beds (5'7"). Were you ordering a truck with the longer bed? I'm seeing the rambox option as available on the Bighorn on the ramtrucks.com website, if I select the crew cab with the short bed.

View attachment 113586

Here is the thing…just because you can build it online using the comfigurator, doesn’t mean it’s available when you try to order it at the dealer. We saw this early on with us folks when ordering. We have seen changes, due to the chip and product shortages.

Also, by any chance if you can order it, it won’t be built right away. Higher trims with higher price tag will most likely take priority, over lower trims and the extra we add.

2021 Ram Rebel
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (wife)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Here is the thing…just because you can build it online using the comfigurator, doesn’t mean it’s available when you try to order it at the dealer. We saw this early on with us folks when ordering. We have seen changes, due to the chip and product shortages.

Also, by any chance if you can order it, it won’t be built right away. Higher trims with higher price tag will most likely take priority, over lower trims and the extra we add.

2021 Ram Rebel
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (wife)
Appreciate the explanation, but I'm aware of the issues with the ramtrucks.com website. The only models I've heard that you can't get ramboxes for is the Tradesman. The OP only said which model he was trying to order, but said nothing about which bed he was including. He also included Longhorn models in this thread title, and I know you can definitely get the rambox option on a Longhorn. The OP may not be aware that the ramboxes can only be ordered for the short bed.

Motoryan716

Reaction score

View attachment 113586
Yeah I know it's available on the truck builder 5'7" beds and in says it's available on the Bighorn models and when you look at the pictures of the Backcountry, it has them but you can't order them. I just talked to a 2nd dealer, same deal

Motoryan716

Reaction score
Because not every option is available for lower trim levels. Otherwise a lot of people would never order higher levels. Of course, they keep adding more and more options to the BH every year it seems.
I know they do that but press releases said no Ramboxes or Multifunction tailgate on the Tradesman but the boxes were s available on the Bighorns. Even the website states it's an option.

Ramjack

Reaction score
If you order the Multifunction tailgate, do you get a "Walter the cat" like in the Chevy commercials???

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rambox has been an available option on the Bighorns/Lonestars for at least the last couple of years…definitely the 2020 and 2021 model years. I don’t see Ram backtracking and not offering it (permanently).

It could be that it’s just a temporary restriction due to parts shortages, etc. There’s been a lot of that lately, as I’m sure you’re aware. Ram has restricted numerous options/packages on the lower trims to ensure they can fulfill orders on the higher trims.

Lord Helmet

Reaction score
I was looking at ordering a LoneStar Backcountry before commiting to a Rebel. The clincher was that according to 3 different dealers (including Mark Dodge) the ramboxes were not currently available as an option for the LoneStar/BigHorn. They could see them on the order screen (amoung other unavailable options) but there was no box to check to add them to the order. So this is probably not a fluke. Most likely restricted like many other options on the lower trims.

sactruck

Reaction score
When I ordered my Longhorn limited most of the options that were previously offered are now unavailable.

Itsslow98

Reaction score
2022-ram-1500-backcountry-special-edition-101-1625851342.jpg
They were definetly available for the backcountry but it's more than likely a newly restricted item due to supply issues.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It must be a new change. I almost signed papers for a 2021 Lonestar with RAMboxes in March of this year. In fact, it was hard to find a Bighorn with the option I wanted WITHOUT them.

DJinBA

Reaction score
My local dealer said the same thing Saturday. He had been trying to price me a big horn back country package but couldn't add the ram boxes. I was hoping he was full of crap but know that it's confirmed it's discouraging. I was planning on sending a build sheet to Mark Dodge tomorrow.

On_Boooost

Reaction score
In Australia - they deleted a whole bunch of stuff - Limited no longer have Pano Roof or Rambox as well as Tech pack not being available on Laramies....

Chip Shortages?? Either way - of the 580 orders for Limiteds - no Ram box and the roof would be a nogo!

franc944

Reaction score
I did online chat and all they would say is whatever the dealer says about being available must be correct.

tolh13

Reaction score
I just bought a 2022 big horn with Rambox (built 11/21) but now you cannot order them, and they updated the web site on 12/17 i think and it was removed from the bighorn( Rambox) and the equipment group went from level 1 & 2 to A & B , no power fold mirrors is the big change

Users who are viewing this thread