5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Power Steering Column :(

DavidNJ

Reaction score
So today I finally made it to a dealer...didn't have a lot of time and was really trying to figure out some bed configuration issues.

I looked at a Laramie Longhorn, and was very impressed with the fit and finish of the interior. It seemed equal, or better than, the $70k cars like the Audi A6 or MB E-class. Really close on first blush to an A8 or S-class.

So in adjusting the seat position, I went to adjust the steering wheel position.

It's a manual adjustment! Power everything, leather all over the place. Ok, not semi-aniline leather but leather none the less. Wood and leather steering wheel. But manual steering column adjustment.

It is a minor point, but the Ford has it. The Durango (an FCA product) has it. All at lower price points. And their interiors look like taxicabs next to the RAM.

The adjustment is nice, putting the steering column position in memory, allowing it to move away on entry/exit (the Ram can drop the whole truck with the air suspension, but doesn't move the steering column?), and making adjustments for different driving positions on a long drive.

Just very surprised...never even thought to ask...just assumed given all the other features it would be there.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So today I finally made it to a dealer...didn't have a lot of time and was really trying to figure out some bed configuration issues.

I looked at a Laramie Longhorn, and was very impressed with the fit and finish of the interior. It seemed equal, or better than, the $70k cars like the Audi A6 or MB E-class. Really close on first blush to an A8 or S-class.

So in adjusting the seat position, I went to adjust the steering wheel position.

It's a manual adjustment! Power everything, leather all over the place. Ok, not semi-aniline leather but leather none the less. Wood and leather steering wheel. But manual steering column adjustment.

It is a minor point, but the Ford has it. The Durango (an FCA product) has it. All at lower price points. And their interiors look like taxicabs next to the RAM.

The adjustment is nice, putting the steering column position in memory, allowing it to move away on entry/exit (the Ram can drop the whole truck with the air suspension, but doesn't move the steering column?), and making adjustments for different driving positions on a long drive.

Just very surprised...never even thought to ask...just assumed given all the other features it would be there.
Yep. That chapped me also. Ridiculous.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Glad your truck had no issues with regard to fit/finish. I thought the polar opposite of what you thought when I picked up my truck. I thought my interior fit/finish was the worst I’ve ever experienced and ridiculous for a 70k vehicle. Mine was what you’d expect from a very low end economy car. I had/have so many fit/finish issues it’s a joke for what I paid. The console was defective, the dash has a permanent defect in the leather, the door panels all have issues, the headrests don’t match, the glove box door is off causing uneven ambient lighting and the list goes on. The manual steering column adjustment is the least of my worries. I love my truck but am disgusted and disappointed with the interior fit/finish. I have owned over 20 new vehicles and only once had an interior fit/finish issue where a door sill plate had a mark on it at delivery. FCA is dropping the ball with quality control for sure. If they can get their act together and actually have some quality control it would hands down be the best truck out there. Just my rant for the day.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was pretty shocked at this. Came from a Jeep SRT that had it. The Ram interior is far nicer than the jeep and mine has much better fit an finish.

I had a rental POS V6 base charger that had power adjustment as well. Doesn't make sense why they didn't put it in the Ram.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Right there with you. It’s not that I “need” half of these features. It’s just surprising that this one specific feature was omitted, despite being surrounded by so many creature comforts.

R

Rob5589

Not a huge deal but, I was surprised considering that it has power adjusting pedals.

Reactions: MJP

SlipperyPete

Reaction score
Coming from a JGC that had it I thought I was going to miss it, but with the extra room in the Ram I only miss it when I read these types of posts. I still have the seat set to auto exit and have never bumped a knee on the wheel. Maybe I just have it set higher but really surprised how quickly I forgot about it. Not excusing a 69k truck for omitting it by any means.

cobradav

Reaction score
Coming from a JGC that had it I thought I was going to miss it, but with the extra room in the Ram I only miss it when I read these types of posts. I still have the seat set to auto exit and have never bumped a knee on the wheel. Maybe I just have it set higher but really surprised how quickly I forgot about it. Not excusing a 69k truck for omitting it by any means.
I am surprised at both the missing power adjustment, at least in the top end models, and being able to not miss it much. Made a couple of manual adjustments early on and have not had to adjust since. Perhaps the power pedal adjustment made up for it.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
I am surprised at both the missing power adjustment, at least in the top end models, and being able to not miss it much. Made a couple of manual adjustments early on and have not had to adjust since. Perhaps the power pedal adjustment made up for it.

My wife and I are 8" different in height...it makes a difference.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably through surveys of owners that drive cars and trucks with power tilt they found the option is hardly used. I've got power tilt and power telescopic on my Corvette. I've used it once. My F150 had power tilt. Again, used it once when I took delivery and never touched it again. I used the manual adjuster once on the Ram.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
I'm guessing they simply ran out of time and resources. They had a lot of stuff that was missed or delayed: multifunction tailgate, towing mirrors, etc. Maybe the limited interior color selection on the Limited. This was just another.

This was a new truck with a 48v mild hybrid option and a dramatically upscale interior. I'd expect the interior to pop up on other FCA products. The multifunction tailgate is here. Towing mirrors?

Two ordering issues for me are losing the normal ride height on the air suspension with the off-road package and the loss of power-folding and the surround camera with the trailer towing mirrors. Will they fix either? Do they consider the first even to be an issue?

R

Rob5589

My wife and I are 8" different in height...it makes a difference.
Yep, wife 5', me 6'2". The two different driver settings are awesome for the two of us. Would be nice if the wheel was included but certainly not a deal breaker.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm guessing they simply ran out of time and resources. They had a lot of stuff that was missed or delayed: multifunction tailgate, towing mirrors, etc. Maybe the limited interior color selection on the Limited. This was just another.

This was a new truck with a 48v mild hybrid option and a dramatically upscale interior. I'd expect the interior to pop up on other FCA products. The multifunction tailgate is here. Towing mirrors?

Two ordering issues for me are losing the normal ride height on the air suspension with the off-road package and the loss of power-folding and the surround camera with the trailer towing mirrors. Will they fix either? Do they consider the first even to be an issue?
You can ride around permanently in Aero mode with the ORG. This puts you within 0.4” of Normal on a non-ORG truck.

Coming from a 3/4-ton, one of the reasons I picked the ORG is because I wanted the taller ride height!

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Yes...but the net is it takes away something for no particularly good reason. It isn't as if it changes clearances since entry/exit height is the same. Other than losing the original normal, the Off-Road setting loses its 50mph limit as the new normal and aero is 1" higher.

There was another thread on that, with this response covering it in detail:

Reaction score
Also owning a JGC I too was expecting a powered steering column. I actually don't mind not having power tilt because once I put it where I want it, it never moves again, but I'm extremely disappointed that it does not have a telescopic column. To be in the perfect position for me it needs to be a couple more inches extended from it's fixed position. At least the seats move back automatically when exiting.

R

Rob5589

Also owning a JGC I too was expecting a powered steering column. I actually don't mind not having power tilt because once I put it where I want it, it never moves again, but I'm extremely disappointed that it does not have a telescopic column. To be in the perfect position for me it needs to be a couple more inches extended from it's fixed position. At least the seats move back automatically when exiting.
What model do you that does not have the tele steering wheel?

DavidNJ

Reaction score

According to the manual, if it tilts, it telescopes. It appears to be standard on all models.

However, the missing power adjustment along with the ridiculous towing mirrors seem to be 'ran out of time, ran out of resources' type of problem. Many FCA products have power steering column adjustments.

The Ram 2500/3500 have towing mirrors that are competitive with GM and Ford, while not offering power telescope, they offer power adjustment of the convex portion. It is still behind Ford and GM by not offering integration of a trailer-mounted rear-facing camera, which GM has taken to another level with its new 'transparent trailer feature' . GM also is using an electronic rearview mirror projecting an adjustable camera image mount in the CHMSL. Land Rover is finally offering its transparent hood, called 'ClearSight Ground View', in the US for 2020.

My guess is they ran out of time. The new Ram 1500 is far and away the most attractive 1/2 ton pickup inside and out. It already had 4-wheel coil suspension, air suspension, and RamBoxes...all unique 1/2 ton pickup features. It added the most useful multi-function tailgate, although that feature took another model year to get out the door and appears to be a bit half-engineered if ordered without RamBoxes. (look up MFT brace).

The Ram 1500 Classic plant is being converted to make the 2021 Dodge Durango and 2022 Jeep Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer, both based on the new Ram 1500 platform. It is inconceivable those models won't have a power steering column adjustment. Hopefully, it will make its way to the Ram 1500 for 2021 or 2022.

spaightlabs

Reaction score

@Firsttimeramowner - it telescopes. Loosen the lever that lets it tilt and give it a light pull and it telescopes.

Users who are viewing this thread