5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No, please no. Let's keep it full-size...

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Why not?

35-40 years ago the roads were full of small pickups with 4 cylinder engines and manual transmissions. They were great for small businesses. My brother had a Ram 50 which everyone knew was made by Mitsubishi. He beat the snot out of that thing for 200,000 miles and the only times it ever failed to start a new battery fixed it.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The latest "mini" trucks by GM and Ford are pretty much full size in both dimensions and price.

It seems like if someone were to bring back the true mini trucks like the old Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi, and Nissan trucks from the 80's (like @Richard320 mentioned above) there would be a market.

Nowadays, even the Corolla and Civic are as big as a Camry and Accord. Until parking lots widen the slots a bit, we need to push for smaller economy cars, so we can safely park our trucks next to them.

frostymug

Reaction score
Why not?

35-40 years ago the roads were full of small pickups with 4 cylinder engines and manual transmissions. They were great for small businesses. My brother had a Ram 50 which everyone knew was made by Mitsubishi. He beat the snot out of that thing for 200,000 miles and the only times it ever failed to start a new battery fixed it.
Ha, maybe if they branded as Dodge I wouldn't mind. Guess I don't love the idea of tiny Ram trucks driving around. Who knows, maybe there would be some benefits, though.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Well, with the small car based Ford Maverick and a GM competitor on the way and that new Hyundai that was just released, it's probably a good idea for RAM to come out with a similar competitor.

RAM got the full size, HD segment. They are currently using the RAM 1500 Classic as their mid-sized competitor, primarily based on price. Hopefully a true mid-sizer in the future, a real Dakota to go up against the Tacoma, Ranger and Colorado/Canyon.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They'd be stupid not to bring those here as Rams if it can be done quickly/easily to meet US emissions and crash standards. As already pointed out, the truly small truck market used to be huge and current 'small' trucks definitely are not. 1500 Classic might be able to compete on price, but I'd wager physical size and better fuel economy are equally (or more) important to plenty of potential buyers, and those criteria can't be satisfied with a low price full size truck. It's a segment thats been ignored for too long. A Gladiator based Dakota mid-size should be a no-brainer too, especially if they can do a single cab/long bed to go with the inevitable crew/short bed.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
They'd be stupid not to bring those here as Rams if it can be done quickly/easily to meet US emissions and crash standards. As already pointed out, the truly small truck market used to be huge and current 'small' trucks definitely are not. 1500 Classic might be able to compete on price, but I'd wager physical size and better fuel economy are equally (or more) important to plenty of potential buyers, and those criteria can't be satisfied with a low price full size truck. It's a segment thats been ignored for too long. A Gladiator based Dakota mid-size should be a no-brainer too, especially if they can do a single cab/long bed to go with the inevitable crew/short bed.

Absolutely agree, though this would be classified as small, similar to the Hyundai. The classic is priced at mid-sizers, which aren't that far off full sizers. That's why these small ones could be game changers, starting in the low 20s or even high teens!

RhondaRebel

Reaction score
I’d kind of like it. My first truck was a 97 Dakota stick shift. I loved that thing and it was perfect for my first truck. Got me ready for the upgrade over the years. An 05’ Daytona single cab, 17’ quad cab, and now my 21’ crew cab

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I'd support it... Just make it a Ram and not a Fiat with a Ram logo.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look at the number of Honda Ridgelines out on the road...it's a truck for people who occasionally need to do "truck" stuff but don't need the ability to tow a trailer, boat etc.
I have long been waiting for the Dakota to make a return, but more fuel efficient because that's where the ranger/colorado/canyon fit in and they ate the dakota for lunch in that respect.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
VW made rabbit diesel pickups that reportedly got 75 mpg.

That same truck in today's world with ULSD, all the soot cookers, and sucking its own farts through the egr wouldn't get near that good.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I can see a smaller electric version coming out along with the full size versions. Sorry but that’s where we are going...

mophead

Reaction score
That same truck in today's world with ULSD, all the soot cookers, and sucking its own farts through the egr wouldn't get near that good.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
They were super smokers. They lasted too. The gas ones got 55-60. They smoked pretty good too, LOL. We'll likely see a lot of downsizing to enable the electrification. Why I'm trying real hard to get one this year before I retire and have a hybrid jammed up my #@$%^. Doesn't really matter if things really go south. So not sweating it too much, outta my hands. I am accepting donations though.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d support it. I had a 1986 Toyota Extra Cab Longbed with the 22R 4cyl and manual transmission. That thing would haul a lot of stuff, had good fuel mileage and was enough truck I ever needed back then. I consistently had people approaching me offering to buy it. It kind of got annoying after a while. I think the mini truck would be a good vehicle for those who want a truck, but don’t want the size and crappy gas mileage. Not everyone with a pickup needs to haul a large boat, other vehicles or anything more than what a mini truck would. We have a F-Pace that has a turbo charged 4cyl that flat out hauls butt. Not anything like 4cyl’s of the past. So, with a turbo charged 4cyl and the proper transmission and gearing, I’m sure they could make one to fit the needs of a lot of business and others. I’m sure there are a lot of businesses that could use a vehicle like this, along with a small percentage of the population.

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had a Chevrolet Colorado before my ram. It was great truck and served me well. But a brand new one was almost the same price as a full sized 1500.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So they would be a 1/2 RAM or a Baby RAM. Kinda like Harley's 883 Sportster as a 1/2 HOG.

Malodave

ShortStack

Reaction score
Sorry but that is one fugly car/truck/storage unit.....what is the actual purpose of this thing ? At least the 87 Nissan I had was a great work truck. 397,000 miles later it died.

Users who are viewing this thread