5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No more diesel.......

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Thats computer which is usually slightly optimistic. 4WD stock tires running in 2WD. An oversize load generally don't go quick or fast so there is that. He sent me this today as lol "not a bad start for the day"

Attachments

• DF385C7F-3CA2-4E1C-802E-09A0023D7422.jpeg
    DF385C7F-3CA2-4E1C-802E-09A0023D7422.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 29

tom318

Reaction score
Road conditions and driving style are everything. I could see getting 33mpg easy on stock setup doing 65mph. The moment it rains or the wind picks up you will be down to 28 or less. I've managed 30mpg on stock setup with 3.92 and long bed. Also managed 22 with some rain and wind on the same 500 mile trip. Once I roll 100k ill likely do the GDE tune, curious to see the difference in mpg first hand!

EpicMando27

Reaction score
I've found that going up or down a mile an hour or two when on cruise control can have a significant change in current MPG.

drydocked

Reaction score
Speed and terrain have a huge impact on mileage. I recently finished a 6k mile trip pulling a travel trailer for 2/3 of those miles, my average towing mpg was 12 (based on the fills that were 100% towing) and average non-towing mpg of 23.4. I had a best of 32.5 on one tank over a 3 day period that was all driving in the Florida Keys were the speed limits were 45 and 55, no hills, at sea level and perfect weather. The dash consistently reported about .9 better mpg than my hand calculations for the whole trip.

drydocked

Reaction score
Just delivered an Airstream to Southaven MS on the way home she turned 905k. Took these a few days ago.
Based on your experience pulling all kinds of trailers, how much difference is there in mileage or handling (the effect of sidewinds, etc) when pulling an Airstream compared to a trailer like the one in my profile picture? I've been averaging about 12 pulling this camper, usually with cruise set in the low 70's when on the highway.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
A solid 1 mpg better towing an AS vs your trailer when towing at 65 mph. With GDE engine & trans tune 3.92 gears depending on wind I get 14.0 to 14.5 towing a box TT. GDE's cruise control setting work MUCH better than stock tune cruise control settings for towing.

If I spend the whole day towing say 15 hours going from east to west. I'll stop one less time going 65 vs 70-72 and get to the same location. Making time is more about how often or time length you are stopped than it is about speed traveled. I can routinely take a 27 or 28 foot AS Dayton OH to St Louis MO 350 miles on one tank. Granted that's plum full to very empty.

Ack I just noticed you have a 5th gen. There is a big difference between the 4th & 5th gen. Certainly there would be some difference between the two trailers but as to how much with your truck I don't know. 3.21 vs 3.92 and speed and tuned or not all make a measurable difference.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying an older car (my high school dream car) off someone out of state and towing it back. My plan is to tow on a trailer, but I started wondering about those dollies you see that put the front wheels off the ground. How does that setup have any appreciable tongue weight? I know with a trailer, I can adjust the location of the vehicle to increase tongue weight.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A U-haul tow dolly front wheel pockets are positioned ahead of the dolly wheels to put 10-15% of the load on the tongue. You won't have any adjustability with a dolly.

Weight capacity of U Haul tow dolly

Capacity. Max Load: 3,450 lbs. when towing a front-wheel drive vehicle, 3,900 lbs. when towing a rear-wheel drive vehicle.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Same with other tow dollys. I have the common Master Tow. Capacity 3,500 lbs. The full car haulers are much better and worth the extra money if you can get one.

Users who are viewing this thread