5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No longer a Ram 1500 wannabee

flyfingers

Reaction score
Took quite a few months but finally found exactly what I've been searching for. Had to drive 3.5 hrs down to get it but it's home now. Will take it off trailer in the morning though as I'm beat. Even when you have all your ducks in a row, the buying process sure gets drawn out, so 14 hrs after leaving I rolled back up at the house.

2021 1500 Bighorn crew cab, 4x4, 6'4" bed, Hemi (non eTorque), Level 2 equipment group, 3.21's, anti spin, 33 gal tank, and trailer tow group. Only thing it didn't have that I wanted was the wheel liners.

MSRP $51,945 and after dealer discount, rebates and incentives (including $1,500 Ram pop up cash) sales price was $42,348. I'm sure I could've haggled more but the bottom line is it's exactly what I've been looking for and is kind of a unicorn here in Ca anyway with the Level 2 being the kicker. They wouldn't let me pay cash and get all the rebates so I had to finance a minimum of $7,500. Asked me to pay on it for 6 months before paying it off - I chuckled and halfway agreed. Told them I'd pay $7,000 on the first payment and drag the remaining $500 over 3 months and they agreed. Anyway I'm happy it's all said and done.

Attachments

• IMG_5203.JPG
    IMG_5203.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 110

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new truck. I hear you on the buying process! I to thought I had everything squared away before getting to the dealership but it still took almost 7 hours to buy it. Enjoy it!

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice truck, congrats for finding exactly what you wanted.
Pay it off ASAP, dealer just looking for kickback.
Yes, you are under no obligation to do what they asked/said. I used FCA just to get the rebate and paid the whole thing off that first month. I told the finance manager I'd be happy to let the loan float for 6 months if they paid the interest or gave me something worth equal to the interest. They passed, and so did I.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice truck, congrats for finding exactly what you wanted.
Pay it off ASAP, dealer just looking for kickback.
Agree. You will pay $8500 on the $7500 if they put yhe term at 84 months by default like my dealer did. After they did that I had no problem refinancing two weeks after buying.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yes, you are under no obligation to do what they asked/said. I used FCA just to get the rebate and paid the whole thing off that first month. I told the finance manager I'd be happy to let the loan float for 6 months if they paid the interest or gave me something worth equal to the interest. They passed, and so did I.
Nice move sir, nice move.
Love to see folks do this and not fall for dealer shennanigans.

RJS

Reaction score
Nice truck, I think you'll be ok paying off the $500 over 3 months. I did that with my 19 Laramie to get the $500 rebate. Paid everything off but $500 on the first payment. If there were no issues you kept your agreement so good on you.
Curious, why trailer the truck back?

flyfingers

Reaction score
Welcome to Ram life, what did you use to tow it with ?
I bought a 2017 Ram 2500 Outdoorsman crew cab with the Cummins 110k about 3 months ago from a neighbor. They walked up my driveway and said they wanted to sell it and that Car Max would give them 28K for it. I just about broke my wrist giving them the money LOL. Anyway, drove it around for a few weeks and decided it was simply too rough riding and didn't make a very good grocery getter so I sold it to my son for 28K as he's young and constantly towing stuff. Made me happy to see him get a nice truck and a little leg up in life. I borrowed his truck and 25' tilt trailer to go get my new truck. I must add that it towed absolutely beautifully! Both the 1500 and 2500 are sure nice trucks.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The wheel liners can be had from the dealer or I believe there is atleast one aftermarket option. There's a write up on here somewhere on how to do it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

flyfingers

Reaction score
Nice truck, I think you'll be ok paying off the $500 over 3 months. I did that with my 19 Laramie to get the $500 rebate. Paid everything off but $500 on the first payment. If there were no issues you kept your agreement so good on you.
Curious, why trailer the truck back?
Trailered it because my beautiful bride had to work and I didn't want to take the chance of waiting until today to run down and buy it as I've learned that once you've done your research and finally find what you want, don't wait - go get it. Lost out on 2 houses / land lately due to my waiting too long. As I was there a feller walked in and was wanting to test drive the truck I bought. He was yammerin away that he had called that morning and a salesman said that yes it was still available. He was not a happy camper. I'm fairly convinced that had I waited even a day that it would've been sold. Russel Westbrook in Van Nuys, CA sell around 500 vehicles / month. They were busy.

flyfingers

Reaction score
Re; the whole loan part of the deal: I realize they are getting a kickback on the loan but they were nothing more than square with me and they are a business after all. My salesman was decent as was the finance guy. They couldn't beat Mopar or Zeigler on the warranty. They started at $7,500 for the 8 year 125K w/ 0 deductible and after we both got done laughing (my laugh is contagious), they said $2,900 was their bottom line which I politely refused. No big deal, I'll go through Zeigler or the Mopar one as suggested by this forum. I borrowed $7,500 @ 2.99% and will pay 7K in my first payment as agreed and then stretch the remaining $500 owed over the next 2 months - no big deal. If it makes them get a kick back of sorts, so be it. They weren't jerks and I'm a satisfied customer overall.
Oh and I'm 50 something and buying this brand new truck is a first for me. One of my bucket list items has always been to buy a new vehicle, pay cash, and load it up on a trailer on the dealer lot and drive it home. Weird I know, but so very satisfying at the same time.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The wheel liners can be had from the dealer or I believe there is atleast one aftermarket option. There's a write up on here somewhere on how to do it.

I got the wheel liners from the dealer and had them put them on. Easy Peasy and for me worth them doing it.

moparleo51

Reaction score
flyfingers, how did you get the 1500 coupon from the ram site to pop up? i tried two different browsers and turned of the popup blocker and still nothing.

flyfingers

Reaction score
flyfingers, how did you get the 1500 coupon from the ram site to pop up? i tried two different browsers and turned of the popup blocker and still nothing.
I really didn't do anything special I don't think. Once you get to the Build and Price page at the very bottom of the page you'll see the "Research" column. Follow that column down to where it says "Sign up for updates". Click on that and fill out the info. I put that I was looking to purchase within 1 month or less. Also, under the same column, click on "Get a Brochure". I signed up there to have one mailed to me as well. I have no idea how their algorithm works but I'd say after about a week of doing a Build and Price at least 3 or 4 times / day, suddenly up popped the incentive. Perhaps based on your time spent on the site they have a way to judge whether or not you are a serious buyer. Heck I have no clue really. All I know is for no rhyme or reason it suddenly popped up one day.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I did a write-up on the Rough Country wheel well liners about a week ago. So if you look under my name/posts you'll find it.

AK103

Reaction score
Re; the whole loan part of the deal: I realize they are getting a kickback on the loan but they were nothing more than square with me and they are a business after all. My salesman was decent as was the finance guy. They couldn't beat Mopar or Zeigler on the warranty. They started at $7,500 for the 8 year 125K w/ 0 deductible and after we both got done laughing (my laugh is contagious), they said $2,900 was their bottom line which I politely refused. No big deal, I'll go through Zeigler or the Mopar one as suggested by this forum. I borrowed $7,500 @ 2.99% and will pay 7K in my first payment as agreed and then stretch the remaining $500 owed over the next 2 months - no big deal. If it makes them get a kick back of sorts, so be it. They weren't jerks and I'm a satisfied customer overall.
Oh and I'm 50 something and buying this brand new truck is a first for me. One of my bucket list items has always been to buy a new vehicle, pay cash, and load it up on a trailer on the dealer lot and drive it home. Weird I know, but so very satisfying at the same time.

It really is an amazing feeling. I just bought my Limited, it's my second car ever and my first new car. (I'm 32)
It's an incredible feeling. I've been driving the same car since 2007. No complaints though, she's been incredibly good to me (I'm actually still keeping it and driving it as a daily)

Congratulations on your new truck! She looks great.

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice looking ride. Got minds Nov18. Finally the limited edition I wanted. Happy camper

Users who are viewing this thread