5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NO HEAT

jayjohn20

Reaction score
My 2019 2500 Tradesman is only getting hot on passenger side of truck with the heat on . Non-dual control, just single knob. Had no issues with AC this summer.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Heater core, it's that time of year. You may be able to back flush the core to get some heat.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Heater core, it's that time of year. You may be able to back flush the core to get some heat.
If the passenger side it getting got, it's not the heater core. And his truck is too new to require any backflushing

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the passenger side it getting got, it's not the heater core. And his truck is too new to require any backflushing
Really, why do I replace heater cores on newer cars/trucks for this exact issue...... its a single zone system(1 blend air actuator). The coolant enters the passenger side of the dash in the heater core, when the end(left side) of heater core gets restricted, you don't have any heat there.

This isn't a new issue on Stellantis vehicles.

Sometimes you can use a power back flusher to clean the debri/muck out of the core.

You are correct. I have only worked on these vehicles at a Ram dealer for 13 years. Forget what I said. Its obviously a lemon law concern.......

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Really, why do I replace heater cores on newer cars/trucks for this exact issue...... its a single zone system(1 blend air actuator). The coolant enters the passenger side of the dash in the heater core, when the end(left side) of heater core gets restricted, you don't have any heat there.

This isn't a new issue on Stellantis vehicles.

Sometimes you can use a power back flusher to clean the debri/muck out of the core.

You are correct. I have only worked on these vehicles at a Ram dealer for 13 years. Forget what I said. Its obviously a lemon law concern.......
Unless coolant system was neglected on a high mileage vehicle, or someone did maintenance and used the wrong coolant to refill, in a three year old vehicle, there should be no debris or muck to clean out.

And if the heater core is restricted or blocked, there wouldnt be enough flow through the core to cert any heat on either side.

But obviously you are the expert, I bow down to your superior knowledge of all things automotive. I've only been working on vehicles for over 30 years, but I'm sure your 13 years is somehow better.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And if the heater core is restricted or blocked, there wouldnt be enough flow through the core to cert any heat on either side
Do you know how the coolant flows in the newer heater cores?
I've only been working on vehicles for over 30 years, but I'm sure your 13 years is somehow better.
Never said how long I have worked on cars..... just that I work on these models everyday for 13 years. I can also tell you it takes about 2-3 hours to replace a heater core on ram trucks.

KMach

Reaction score
I’d do a simple actuator test and scan for codes. Normally when I see these come in I do a quick check of the inlet and outlet temps on the heater core. Between the **** casting debris that is left inside these engines and the 10 year coolant, the heater core is the first place all this stuff ends up.

I second the heater core. Back flushing will more than likely confirm this. For what ever reason I’ve done 3 on 6.4 trucks since October this year so far.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you know how the coolant flows in the newer heater cores?

Never said how long I have worked on cars..... just that I work on these models everyday for 13 years. I can also tell you it takes about 2-3 hours to replace a heater core on ram trucks.
You said there was only one blend door. Meaning the same air that goes through heater core to heat passenger side would also make it to drivers side. Restricted coolant flow would reduce the temp on both sides, not just one.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You said there was only one blend door. Meaning the same air that goes through heater core to heat passenger side would also make it to drivers side. Restricted coolant flow would reduce the temp on both sides, not just one.
No it won't, if the left side of the core is plugged, no coolant flow. No heat on part of the dash. Please see above post from @KMach He knows what's up

Stexas

Reaction score
I’m having the same problem of me heat on drivers side. Checking the blend doors there is one actuator that looks like it runs two blend doors for heat. The closest one to the rear doesn’t seem to move much. Is that the blend door for the driver side?

Users who are viewing this thread