5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No difference between "Front Defrost Button" and "Mix Mode"

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever found a fix so when you have the front defroster on the button doesn't blow a ton of air?

I have already given up on finding what terrible noise is going on inside my dash when recirc is on at speeds >45mph but I assume it's unrelated. Dealership said it all was normal.

This is taken from the owners manual
1670109387737.png

1670109446166.png

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a definite audible and air flow difference between defrost/feet and defrost alone on both my 2020 and 2022 rebel. I pretty much have to run exclusively on one of either settings once the temps drop to clear moisture on the inside of the windshield as I am bad for not remote starting and letting the truck warm up.

Perhaps the hvac system needs to relearn the blend door positions, this is something that has to be done at the dealer level I believe.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As far as I know the defrost button is for a quick blast to defrost the windshield quickly. The defrost/feet mode is controllable with the fan speed and is for maintaining frost free windows.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If I run feet I get more pressure down below and I don't think any up top (maybe a little?)

But if I run feet\defrost or just defrost there is no difference for me.

Been that way from the factory.

I can control the fan speed on defrost and enable or disable the AC (not sure why you would run front defroster without AC though?).

Maybe it's different between UC4 and UC5?

I wonder if there is a way for me to trigger the blend door positions to reset. I know on older trucks you could do it yourself.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is a definite audible and air flow difference between defrost/feet and defrost alone on both my 2020 and 2022 rebel. I pretty much have to run exclusively on one of either settings once the temps drop to clear moisture on the inside of the windshield as I am bad for not remote starting and letting the truck warm up.

Perhaps the hvac system needs to relearn the blend door positions, this is something that has to be done at the dealer level I believe.
It's actually not good to "warm up" the truck before driving. And engine will heat up faster when driving vs idle.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's actually not good to "warm up" the truck before driving. And engine will heat up faster when driving vs idle.
It depends where you live.

Up here it's not completely uncommon if parked outside to come out to a 1/2 to 1 inch thick layer of solid ice on your windshield. It's not save to take a scraper when it has time to setup and is under 20 degrees, it's going to need to run heat on the defroster full blast for at least 5-10 minutes to even attempt to do anything to it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It depends where you live.

Up here it's not completely uncommon if parked outside to come out to a 1/2 to 1 inch thick layer of solid ice on your windshield. It's not save to take a scraper when it has time to setup and is under 20 degrees, it's going to need to run heat on the defroster full blast for at least 5-10 minutes to even attempt to do anything to it.
Still doesn't mean it's good on the truck

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I agree. I start my truck and drive away immediately. I just take it easy until it's warmed up. If the windshield is icy, I start the truck as I'm walking up to it, scrape off the windshield and go.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I typically only let the truck warm up for a couple of minutes, no more than 5, and only when it’s well below freezing. When it’s -40 and your truck has sat all night it’s nice to have a bit of heat in both the engine/tranny and interior of the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread