5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Coincedence Gold Hitch Award Won by Ram Limited with OFP?

cruz-in

Reaction score
I was watching the TFL Truck Video where they crown the RAM Limitedn the winer of thier Gold Hitch Award. If you haven't seen it , they test the big three trucks on a steep 8 mile grade at about 11K feet elevation.

One thing I noticed is RAM sent them a Limited with the OFG to use in the test. I suspect the stiffer suspension of the Off Road Package (OFP) Shocks contributed to how well the trcuck handled the 9000 pound trailer.

Think RAM sent one with the OFP becuse they thought the OFP (with stiffer shocks) would give it an edge in towing a 9000 pound trailer?

Last edited:

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was watching the TFL Truck Video where they crown the RAM Limitedn the winer of thier Gold Hitch Award. If you haven't seen it , they test the big three trucks on a steep 8 mile grade at about 11K feet elevation.

One thing I noticed is RAM sent them a Limited with the OFG to use in the test. I suspect the stiffer suspension of the OFG Shocks contributed to how well the trcuck handled the 9000 pound trailer.

Think RAM sent one with the OFG becuse they thought the OFG (with stiffer shocks) would give it an edge in towing a 9000 pound trailer?
The truck in the video had air ride

Jackham

Reaction score
I think there is a basic misunderstanding about the ORG. Heavier duty shocks don't ride rougher, they simply don't overheat as fast. Its not like you added another leaf spring or anything like that.

Troop2865

Reaction score
The truck they used was definetly an air ride equipped truck and it had the 3:92 gears. They were very impressed with the air ride and how well the steering felt. I have driven both the Off Road Group equipped truck (which I own) and a Laramie with standard suspension. In my opinion, the Off Road Group truck definitely rides firmer. I am not sure if that is due to stiffer coil springs, stiffer shocks, or both.

The Ram wasn't the fastest up the mountain, but I did not see it go below the speed limit during the test.

The Ford was the fastest, although not by much. Turbocharged engines are always going to do better at higher elevations. I have towed that stretch of road several times. It is a nice stretch for a Cummins. (y)

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Ram wasn't the fastest up the mountain, but I did not see it go below the speed limit during the test.
They did another IKE Gauntlet comparison of the V6 RAM vs. the Hemi, and the time for the Hemi was better in that video (7:56).

In the 3 truck comparison video, I think they may have been slowed by traffic which is why they mentioned that the difference was 'negligible'.

Last edited:

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Air ride eliminates the squat. So it puts less of the burden on the shocks versus a coil suspension. The shocks play less a role on those trucks on smooth pavement.

Zinger

Reaction score
They did another IKE Gauntlet comparison of the V6 RAM vs. the Hemi, and the time for the Hemi was better in that video (7:56).

In the 3 truck comparison video, I think they may have been slowed by traffic which is why they mentioned that the difference was 'negligible'.

Any time up that mountain that's faster than 8:00 by definition means they exceeded their 60 MPH limit at some point. Or, it could be speedo calibration issues. Theoretically there should never be a time under 8:00, ever. So there is definitely some margin for error. It's an interesting test but a few seconds high or low of 8:00 should be looked at as identical.

Troop2865

Reaction score
I agree. And running that stretch it is very difficult not to get caught up in slower traffic. In watching their videos, I think they use another truck for filming and trying to block off traffic when the towing vehicle needs to change lanes.

Bleda2002

Reaction score
Any time up that mountain that's faster than 8:00 by definition means they exceeded their 60 MPH limit at some point. Or, it could be speedo calibration issues. Theoretically there should never be a time under 8:00, ever. So there is definitely some margin for error. It's an interesting test but a few seconds high or low of 8:00 should be looked at as identical.

I dont actually think the Ike's Gauntlet is exactly 8 miles long. In one of the videos the computer actually read 7.8 from start to finish so a time under 8 minutes is possible with out blowing 60 either. 8 min is just the benchmark meaning you got up to speed reasonably quick and more or less maintained 60 mph through traffic

Edit:
I just did the math, assuming they start at 60 mph (which they dont) and did the run up at 60 then the perfect run is actually 7:48.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I dont actually think the Ike's Gauntlet is exactly 8 miles long. In one of the videos the computer actually read 7.8 from start to finish so a time under 8 minutes is possible with out blowing 60 either. 8 min is just the benchmark meaning you got up to speed reasonably quick and more or less maintained 60 mph through traffic

Edit:
I just did the math, assuming they start at 60 mph (which they dont) and did the run up at 60 then the perfect run is actually 7:48.
This makes sense. They suggested that the F-150 achieved the best time due to the acceleration of the EcoBoost up the on ramp. That may be true, but they're also assuming that each vehicle's speedometer is accurate. That leaves plenty of room for error.

Troop2865

Reaction score
Scientifically, not a perfect test. I do like them running that area though. It is definitely real world type of towing and they keep the loads the same.

I would like to see comparison testing on long hill runs but at lower elevation. It would be interesting to see how they all compare in a variety of situations while towing. I would think the turbocharged engine would lose some of it’s advantage.

Bleda2002

Reaction score
Scientifically, not a perfect test. I do like them running that area though. It is definitely real world type of towing and they keep the loads the same.

I would like to see comparison testing on long hill runs but at lower elevation. It would be interesting to see how they all compare in a variety of situations while towing. I would think the turbocharged engine would lose some of it’s advantage.

I agree, while its cool to do it at the high elevations, they're basically giving the EcoBoosts a nice head start on the NA engines.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I doubt the elevation change would ever tilt naturally aspirated over turbocharging. Whatever O2 is available, the turbocharged engine will be able to take more advantage of it.

The IKE Challenge will provide a good idea for your expectations. It's not exactly science (it still has the human element within it), but you won't find many situations that are more extreme.

Users who are viewing this thread