5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Carplay and no media after IOS 15.3 update

Mchurch52

Reaction score
Anyone else having problems with their 12” Uconnect 4 after updating to IOS 15.3? My Carplay quit working and after trying every possible remedy I noticed the Uconnect system doesn’t recognize my phone when plugged into the USB ports (it charges, but no Carplay and no Media). Bluetooth still works. It tried deleting my phone, resetting the system, disconnecting battery etc to no avail.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine has just stopped working (both wireless carplay with CPLAY2air and wired CarPlay). Forgetting everything and trying again didn't do it. Weirdly, my iPhone 13 Pro Max goes into a loop where it buzzes every couple of seconds as it attempts to connect. I can pair with UConnect via Bluetooh just fine, and I was even able to connect to UConnect with CarPlay (e.g. went through the setup), but CarPlay never becomes available in UConnect.

I'm hoping walking away for a few hours fixes it...or at least gives me the patience to figure it out ;)

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had this happen to me with uConnect5 so I’m leaning towards more bugs in iOS, but they could both be at fault.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
Yep, phone connects fine through Bluetooth and charges fine through USB, but no carplay and no media connection through USB. Most likely an IOS glitch, will see who blinks first, Apple or Uconnect

Morenar

Reaction score
Anyone else having problems with their 12” Uconnect 4 after updating to IOS 15.3? My Carplay quit working and after trying every possible remedy I noticed the Uconnect system doesn’t recognize my phone when plugged into the USB ports (it charges, but no Carplay and no Media). Bluetooth still works. It tried deleting my phone, resetting the system, disconnecting battery etc to no avail.
I’m on iOS 15.3 and my Uconnect4 and my wireless Carlink are working fine after the update. Have your tried unpairing and pairing again?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For me, redoing pairing, restarting, etc had zero effect. But as expected, some time and patience paid off.

Upon returning to the truck this evening, I was able to connect successfully to CarPlay with a wired connection. After that, I reconnected to the dongle and installed an update. Finally, wireless CarPlay was restored. None of that was possible this afternoon.

If I had to guess, the USB hub just needed time to cool off and reboot. But if it returns to its generally reliable habits, we’re good to go.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
I’m on iOS 15.3 and my Uconnect4 and my wireless Carlink are working fine after the update. Have your tried unpairing and pairing again?
Yes, I've tried it all, unpaired phone from Uconnect and Uconnect from Carplay, reset everything, tried every USB port in the truck, different OEM cords etc. I don't think it is a Carplay only problem since plugging the phone into a USB port does not show up as a media device. Either all of my USB ports are screwed or something with my phone's update and Uconnect are incompatible.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I've tried it all, unpaired phone from Uconnect and Uconnect from Carplay, reset everything, tried every USB port in the truck, different OEM cords etc. I don't think it is a Carplay only problem since plugging the phone into a USB port does not show up as a media device. Either all of my USB ports are screwed or something with my phone's update and Uconnect are incompatible.
That’s exactly what I experienced a couple days ago.

yup ram

Reaction score
I’m having similar problems with my uconnect 5 12” and iPhone 12 Pro since updating to iOS 15.3.1.

can connect via Bluetooth (though oddly, the media screen is frozen on first song I played since updating iOS, even though other songs have been playing 😂). No CarPlay whatsoever though. Phone acts like it’s connected (Wi-Fi button in control panel is grayed out) but the truck doesn’t acknowledge any CarPlay devices connected.

Has anyone had any luck finding a solution?

Mchurch52

Reaction score
I’m having similar problems with my uconnect 5 12” and iPhone 12 Pro since updating to iOS 15.3.1.

can connect via Bluetooth (though oddly, the media screen is frozen on first song I played since updating iOS, even though other songs have been playing 😂). No CarPlay whatsoever though. Phone acts like it’s connected (Wi-Fi button in control panel is grayed out) but the truck doesn’t acknowledge any CarPlay devices connected.

Has anyone had any luck finding a solution?
Mine is still toast, hoping either 15.4 fixes it or Ram sends out a Uconnect update. My Iphone 13 works fine in my wife’s 2022 Santa Fe.

Justinjla

Reaction score
Bought a new Laramie Thursday. Major CarPlay and media issues since. Very disappointing.

yup ram

Reaction score
UPDATE: mine ended up working the morning after I posted last. It worked up until this morning when I left the truck running while I walked my kids into day care. When I came back out it wouldn’t reconnect. Restarted the truck and still wouldn’t connect to CarPlay. Unpaired/forgot the device from each side and then re-paired. Now CarPlay isn’t even selectable in the device manager menu. 😖

To those having issues with CarPlay and the new iOS update, I’d recommend NOT unpairing your device that previously worked via CarPlay, in lieu of sleeping on your issues. They may resolve overnight like mine did. If another issue occurs, I’d again try being patient (letting the truck remain in the off position for a bit) before trying unpairing/re-pairing.

Fingers crossed Apple or Ram releases a software update fix soon.

noirot

Reaction score
Well, this happened to me today as well on Uconnect 4. I rebooted iPhone, tried other devices, restarted car, yelled, changed out cords, unpaired, then restarted phone again.

I did get it to work again when I reset Uconnect by holding the volume and tune buttons for 10-20 seconds. When the system all came back up I reconnected and I was good to go again.

I don’t know if I encountered the same issue, but I hope the reset works for you too.

Justinjla

Reaction score
Update: I have found the soft reboot of the radio works if I lose CarPlay connectivity. Hold down volume/power button for 10 seconds. It will reboot in about 20-30 seconds. Mine always reconnects after that. It’s super annoying to do throughout the day, but it works.

yup ram

Reaction score
Another small update, although the soft reset wounds like it should solve these issues we’re having…

my CarPlay came back to normal after yet another night of rest. My guess is that the soft reset mentioned above is the best method to expedite this process though I’m too afraid to test it out to prove it 😂

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Another small update, although the soft reset wounds like it should solve these issues we’re having…

my CarPlay came back to normal after yet another night of rest. My guess is that the soft reset mentioned above is the best method to expedite this process though I’m too afraid to test it out to prove it 😂
For better or worse, the "walk away and let it cool down" approach seems to be highly effective.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
Just to update this thread, I took my truck in to the dealer to look at why my Carplay wasn't working and they said my Uconnect was not compatible with IOS versions beyond 15.1 so nothing they could do until Uconnect released a software update. After not working for nearly 2 months, Carplay came back for one day last week completely out of the blue, then nothing. I had no Carplay all week, then it started working again yesterday and was still functioning this morning. Whatever the issue, it isn't my phone. Either the media hub is sketchy and intermittent or Uconnect has an issue. Hopefully Ram figures something out soon.

RubyRam

Reaction score
Just to update this thread, I took my truck in to the dealer to look at why my Carplay wasn't working and they said my Uconnect was not compatible with IOS versions beyond 15.1 so nothing they could do until Uconnect released a software update. After not working for nearly 2 months, Carplay came back for one day last week completely out of the blue, then nothing. I had no Carplay all week, then it started working again yesterday and was still functioning this morning. Whatever the issue, it isn't my phone. Either the media hub is sketchy and intermittent or Uconnect has an issue. Hopefully Ram figures something out soon.
There is supposed to be an over the air update coming. They started pushing it out in Feb 22 and it may take a few months.

Users who are viewing this thread